Gibson Brands Forums

Lady Gaga on SNL

MissouriPicker

"No Guitar Content" !

LG is emulating Mylie Cyrus. Any turkey can pose on stage with a Gibson. I didn't see any Gibson acoustic though. Last night, her contribution was "Do What You Want with This Body" with a man costumed as a P.I.M.P. Maybe it sas 50Cents. The recurring theme was to see if she would flop or sway out of her blouse. There was no neckline to stop a 'wardrobe malfunction, it plunged below her navel. SNL has been trying to recapture the glory years of it's youth. I don't watch it. But my wife does if she can't sleep. She really couldn't sleep after watching Lady Gag. Had to show me the clip first thing this AM.

Her style of music is not my cup of tea, but I recently listened to a Stern interview and she definitely has talent.

She was alone on a piano and she really does have a good voice.

Like her style or not, she can sing.

I'm laughing at the comments about her flopping out of her dress and thinking about Elvis' appearances on television.

fortyyears, you must be talking about a different performance. This was on SNL, I think. Anyway, it was a Gibson. How talented she is with a guitar, I don't know. Don't care for her music, but she knows how to do what she does----make money......and don't get me started on Miley Cyrus....lol...I personally tend to think she was so relieved to find out that she is not Justin Beiber that she has to prove it to everyone else too. Her only claim to fame is being outrageous. To me, part of her problem is that her father is a pretty creepy guy. She needs an intervention of some type.......Just the view of an old dog.

I don't know much about LG, but I have seen some videos that amaze me with her talent. The gal can flat out sing her butt off and play the heck out of a piano. Here is a clip somebody posted to me yesterday. Sorry, no guitar content. But a cool cover!

http://www.thebacklot.com/watch-lady-gaga-destroys-king-of-pain-with-sting/07/2013/?fb_action_ids=10202555873277569&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_ref=fblike_web&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRrMi-Ubz7E

I just had a retired judge friend of mine send me a video of a guy walking on water. And, I've seen those Nissan commercials where the nose wheel of a commercial jet is landing in the bed of a Nissan pickup truck. Looked real as real can be. I watched that entire video of Sting and Lady Gaga and I saw Sting playing the bass and his fingers seemed coordinated to the song being played, as did the guy on Telecaster, and too the drummer. I can't say that I saw/heard Lady Gaga play the piano. I saw her sitting at the piano, but I didn't see her playing the piano. Like in some movies, you know. Anyway, the point is that so much music today can be, and is, digitally manipulated in real time, including the human voice. I asked my judge friend if pictures are still allowed as evidence in a court of law and he said they were. Would you like to be brought up on charges for a crime based on pictures?! I find myself, more and more, doubting things that can be manipulated fairly easily, especially if fame or money is involved. I want to believe what I see and hear but when it comes to someone having talent, or not, I can't say I can go off of a video like this one. I wish it were otherwise but it ain't. That's not to say it might not sound good, it is just a recognition that how it sounds might be a product of something other than what appears to be transpiring.

I just had a retired judge friend of mine send me a video of a guy walking on water. And, I've seen those Nissan commercials where the nose wheel of a commercial jet is landing in the bed of a Nissan pickup truck. Looked real as real can be. I watched that entire video of Sting and Lady Gaga and I saw Sting playing the bass and his fingers seemed coordinated to the song being played, as did the guy on Telecaster, and too the drummer. I can't say that I saw/heard Lady Gaga play the piano. I saw her sitting at the piano, but I didn't see her playing the piano. Like in some movies, you know. Anyway, the point is that so much music today can be, and is, digitally manipulated in real time, including the human voice. I asked my judge friend if pictures are still allowed as evidence in a court of law and he said they were. Would you like to be brought up on charges for a crime based on pictures?! I find myself, more and more, doubting things that can be manipulated fairly easily, especially if fame or money is involved. I want to believe what I see and hear but when it comes to someone having talent, or not, I can't say I can go off of a video like this one. I wish it were otherwise but it ain't. That's not to say it might not sound good, it is just a recognition that how it sounds might be a product of something other than what appears to be transpiring.

Sheesh, MM, it's just camera angle. There are a bazillion videos showing her playing the piano. She's been playing piano since age 4 and has won FIVE Grammy awards and has sold 24 million albums and over 100 million singles. Do you honestly think a star of this magnitude would fake playing piano?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Gaga

Gaga can sing. Here she is with Tony Bennett:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPAmDULCVrU

Any Tony talking about her:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n8VpP-jSQ4

Their duet album is due out in January and I'm really looking forward to it.

Tony Bennett is hardly going to say that she's some talentless hack now is he?

The girls talent is not up for argument as far as I'm concerned . I'm not a fan , but her bank balance will win any argument. She's a 'pop' star. Remember your dads saying how these four Liverpudlians were hopeless?

Tony Bennett with a duet album coming out. Well take what you like from his opinion.

To the nay sayers... GET OFF MY LAWN YOU YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPERS! [biggrin]

Lady Gaga can sing, she can play the piano, she has enormous talent. Tony doesn't just sing with other singers to sell albums. He sings with people he respects and wants to sing with. I didn't like Amy Winehouse, but I respect her talent, and so did Tony. Give the woman some credit for being a REAL and talented artist... unlike so many of the talent-less hacks that pollute the media these days.

I remember when Madonna first arrived on the music scene and how much crap was flung at her for being "out there" as an artist. I thought she showed tremendous courage and enormous talent. I still do.

Another singer I have enormous admiration for is P!nk. Amazingly talented woman... totally out there trend-setting.. and I DO like her music! Lady Gaga not so much, but she has the same creative drive, talent and vision.

Nice piano that LG is playing BTW... Fazioli. We have one here at the university... a concert grand... $250,000.

I nev paid much attention to her in the past. I don't see that changing much, but I will say she does have some catchy tunes in a guilty pleasure kinda way. She played a computer nerd in one sketch and when talking about clothing, her character said something to the effect "Anyone who wears outlandish outfits must have something to hide" (poor attempt at paraphrasing on my part). There was a glimpse of a knowing look at the camera. And in another sketch she played herself in the year 2065, as a crazy old apartment dweller who calls the Super in to change a lightbulb just so she could try to stir up a little adoration over her "glorious past". The Super never heard of Lady Gaga depsite her many attempts to remind him by playing bits of songs. I found this sketch to be one of the better ones in the last few years. Her acting might not have been great, a little over the top maybe, but... I don't know, I think it was just a nice piece of self-effacing humor... she KNOWS her "fame" is fleeting.

I dunno. I don't dislike her. The jury is still out but I have the feeling she's a good person underneath it all.

Yes, she can sing. So can Miley Cyrus. And I'm sure she's proficient at the guitar and piano. The point I was trying to make, however, is that she leverages her above average talent by being outrageous, especially in the sexual content. SNL writers should get the credit for funny skits, not the guest stars. I just feel there are too many performers who get rich because they are willing to show skin. I never bought Playboy for the articles, so I have a hard time believing anyone here is interested in her fingerpicking technique when the elephant in the room is hovering above her upper bout, threatening to come out!

she leverages her above average talent by being outrageous, especially in the sexual content.

two things:

1) Actually what she's doing is playing by market rules.. I'm sure Elvis could have sung just as well if not better without all the hip jiggling. She's in a tough braket, people nowadays want shocked, wowed and basically bamboozlde by artists. Standing there dressed like a traditional Mormon wife might be some folks cup of tea, but it isn't going to sell in many markets I'm afraid. People expect a whiff of genitalia, some behind and a playing up to themes such as submission, S&M and so on... It's what the world has become.

2) The above could be painted like she is some sort of victim, she isn't, not at all, a very shrewd artist and by being the most vulgar, outrageous, edgy one amongst her demographic ensures column inches, continual online coverage and an urge for many to follow in an attempt to demystify.

The irony is, having a song about submissive S&M performed while dressed like a traditional mormon wife might actually be the edgiest she could go for given America's frothery over anything mocking their personally preferred flavour of jesus & god. In fact I'd say if she wants to genuinely shock she should probably do a video of the above suggestions while having an abortion... she could maybe rival the Beatle burnings with that one.