Gibson Brands Forums

Move from 0.10-0.46 to 0.09-0.46 (Update)

awel

2013-11-16153929_zps3e857742.png

Hi,

So yesterday, I have decided to try to switch to 0.09-0.46 after 10 years of 0.10. I stayed on Ernie Ball but I am trying the Titanium Coated this time instead of std Slinky.

Feel so cumfortable, the hybrid gauges allowed me to keep the hard touch for rythm but soft touch for the leads.

I was a bit afraid because everyone told me: what 9's on a Gibson it will be sloppy! but it feels good ... for me at least :)

2013-11-16153929_zps3e857742.png

Hi,

So yesterday, I have decided to try to switch to 0.09-0.46 after 10 years of 0.10. I stayed on Ernie Ball but I am trying the Titanium Coated this time instead of std Slinky.

Feel so cumfortable, the hybrid gauges allowed me to keep the hard touch for rythm but soft touch for the leads.

I was a bit afraid because everyone told me: what 9's on a Gibson it will be sloppy! but it feels good ... for me at least :)

I've been playing .09's on my Gibson for about 5 years now. Massive improvement in playability.

Yup I use EB 9s on ALL of my guitars.. someone advised me when I bought my first guitar to try nines and ive never looked back.

I have heard that the new Cobalt ones are REALLY nice but haven't tried them yet.. But I will (at some point) [thumbup]

I don't want to sound like THE CORRECTOR, but... being a machinist I am used to measuring everything in thousandths of an inch so it caught me eye when I saw .09-.46. The gauges would be .009-.046 or .010-.046. A .46 string would be almost a half inch diameter.... [blink] :)

S

I don't want to sound like THE CORRECTOR, but... being a machinist I am used to measuring everything in thousandths of an inch so it caught me eye when I saw .09-.46. The gauges would be .009-.046 or .010-.046. A .46 string would be almost a half inch diameter.... [blink] :)

S

Probably fits those Les Paul's, outside, at all the "Hard Rock Cafe's!" [flapper][biggrin]

CB

I can guarantee you that .009s on a Gibson wouldn`t be sloppy,I use Rey. Willy`s .007s and they aren`t the slightest bit sloppy so I doubt very much that .009s would be.

BTW: with the .007s I can bend the G and B stings especially, almost right off the fretboard,they allow for some extreme Buddy Guy/Jimi Hendrix type uber bends.

I've used 9-42 for years on all but one electric that gets 8-38. Yes, I have a relatively light touch and mostly fingerpicking on any sort of electric. A couple big box AEs wear 10s for strumming with "old time" or grass. My fingerpicking AE wears hybrid 9-42 sets of various sorts.

With fingerpicking, even bare thumb as I do, I think there's no loss of bass with the lighter strings because the ear and thumb adjust rather well to keep strings responding individually to what volume one might care to have in differing circumstances.

I really think that each of us will at some point have a general "style" of playing that will work, and may be quite different from how others physically approach the instrument even in a given genre and similar results. As we age and change, all of that may change.

m

I switched from Ernie ball to D'addario to everything in the Thomastik-Infield range (emailed them with a query about the differences in their strings and they send me a set of each to try out. Best customer service ever) and now Im using Elixir nanowebs because they last forever. When I used Ernie ball I only used .009's, I like the .010's for the Elixir's though

Yup I use EB 9s on ALL of my guitars.. someone advised me when I bought my first guitar to try nines and ive never looked back.

I have heard that the new Cobalt ones are REALLY nice but haven't tried them yet.. But I will (at some point) [thumbup]

Slash plays 11s.

I played with 12's on all my guitars till 2010 when a was lent my friends Parker Fly for a few months. The playability of that guitar was vastly superior to anything else I had ever touched. I decided on a lark to see how close I could get my SG to that level of playability and tuning stability. The first step was to swap the 12's for 9's. That got me 75% of the way there.

I think it is really a matter of how cumfortable you are with your settings, when I started playing, I remember I was impressed and wanted to play SRV gauges to get his tone, but let's be honest before he told it in an interview who have dared that Billy Gibbons was using 0.08, and who dares to say that he doesn't have the tone!

So I am really convinced that you have to play what you feel and not play heavy gauges because blues player often used it, who here wants to have fix his nails with glue because of heavy string gauges? [biggrin]

before he told it in an interview who have dared that Billy Gibbons was using 0.08, and who dares to say that he doesn't have the tone!...

I might be wrong, of course, but I think the Rev. only uses .008s for slide-work. His regular guits wear .007s.

(I still like my .011s.........[tongue])

P.

I might be wrong, of course, but I think the Rev. only uses .008s for slide-work. His regular guits wear .007s.

(I still like my .011s.........[tongue])

P.

You're right, my mistake, shame on me [flapper]

I used to mainly use .009s when all I owned was a Strat. When I got a Les Paul it came with .010s, and I actually prefer the tighter feel of them so I stay with that gauge. Recently I got used Koko Caster guitar which has a scale length similar to a Strat so I assume it had .009 on it. I just replaced the strings with another set of D'Addario .009s. But they are too slack IMO, even at standard 440 tuning. Think I will definitely put .010s on it next time.

I am one of those strange guys who actually doesn't like the feel of a guitar that plays too easily. I like it to "fight back" just a little.

S

Lol,,, true dat!

Yup... I was just saying that the Cobalt ones are meant to be really nice (which I will find out soon).

I know. I just thought it was funny that you cats are going on about light strings and the one video that is posted is of Mr. 11s Slash.

Archived