Gibson Brands Forums

Dylan's Don't Think Twice from the front porch

jasonhoese

I always like this stuff, Jason. This is as close to "real acoustic music" as one can get without actually sitting on the porch with you. A man/woman and a guitar often speak far louder than an entire band or orchestra. The intimacy of a lone voice and guitar (minus all the special effects typically found in the music of a full-blown band) cannot be equaled. Nice version. I like hearing your's and everyone else's interpretation of well-known songs. Good stuff, my friend. Keep the music alive!

Good job Jason! My own version is different also. Dylan sings all his songs in whatever version hits him in the moment. I've seen him in concert and often I don't recognize song until half way through. The versiion on the records just happen to be the versions he was singing that day .... or the one the producer selects. This varity one of many things I like about Dylan's music.

Your picking and singing sound nice but to be honest the arrangement doesn't sound good to me. It's like you might find in sheet music with two sets of chords, one regular and the other simplified for beginners. Particularly the passage with "I'm a thinking and a wondering all the way down the road, I once" etc. The original progression has hooks: tonic goes major to seventh then the bass going up a half step from the IV chord to a diminished chord. These are replaced by no new interpretation or hook, just simplified away. I'm not against changing pieces but the changes should add some fresh and distinct slant or spin on the song. To me these changes sound 'close but not quite' rather than novel and intriguing.

Your picking and singing sound nice but to be honest the arrangement doesn't sound good to me. It's like you might find in sheet music with two sets of chords, one regular and the other simplified for beginners. Particularly the passage with "I'm a thinking and a wondering all the way down the road, I once" etc. The original progression has hooks: tonic goes major to seventh then the bass going up a half step from the IV chord to a diminished chord. These are replaced by no new interpretation or hook, just simplified away. I'm not against changing pieces but the changes should add some fresh and distinct slant or spin on the song. To me these changes sound 'close but not quite' rather than novel and intriguing.

Not often I say this, but I'm in total agreement with Jerry here. It's even quite a measured response too. Bravo Jerry.

Jason, I have enjoyed a few of your clips, this one however, not as much but not down to your singing/laying but the arrangement does sound like one of the simplified ones for beginners. This is also one of those tunes which totally deserves the effort it takes to play it right. Keep posting mate. All the best.

, , , ,but I'm in total agreement with Jerry here. It's even quite a measured response too.

though the rearrangement might be easier than it sounds in Jerry's post.

Jasonh - do yourself a favour to check the right chord progression.

It's a thrill, , , and one of the reasons I play this song with joy in the 38th year, hehe, , , good lords. . .

This song is SO imprinted in a lot of peoples heads (especially on an acoustic guitar forum) that to alter it in any way is going to leave yourself open .

I wasnt too fussed on this arrangement and I'm not familiar with the interpretation you took this version from . you could be playing that version note perfect ! :)

But to change such a classic , well it better be good.

One of Dylan's best , certainly because of the melody and wonderful lyrics but for me its the emotion the song brings . is he sad ? Is he angry? Is he really saying dont think twice ? To my ears its certainly not 'alright' with dylan . your version didnt make me wonder who you were thinking about while performing.

I dont believe in saying things like 'the right chord progression' (no offence em).

I'm a bigger fan of a lot of cover versions than the originals.

Im by no means slamming what you did.a change is always good. Keep em coming.

I dont believe in saying things like 'the right chord progression' (no offence em).

No, okay, you got me, , , , , especially not with folk.

I break rules all the time, but in this particular song there is a chord-suspense, which is missed in the thread-version - for my 3 Yen anyway.

I just dont want jason to think people didnt like it solely because he changed what the almighty bob does. Which ,lets face it , will be the case for a lot of people.

Well, , , over time we have come to learn that not even Bob plays them the way Bob plays them. . .

Jason, another one for nice voice, nice guitar, needs more chords. The song sounds a bit weird without those changes. Who is Mike Ness?

Jerry, the 185 sounds very nice again. I know you're only winging it here, but the arrangement needs a band to cover the bits where you play lead. Has real potential to sound like Elvis Costello covering it, but you need a Steve Nieve.

Here is a version I did three years ago (I guess) on Reggie, the 1930s Fanken-Regal. I was just fooling around with the guitar, and I did it is a style I once used in the 60s -- pardon the mistakes. It was off the cuff and I probably had not played it for ten years prior and also probably not since either.

https://vimeo.com/album/208022/video/10824304

Let's pick,

-Tom

Here is a version I did three years ago (I guess) on Reggie, the 1930s Fanken-Regal. I was just fooling around with the guitar, and I did it is a style I once used in the 60s -- pardon the mistakes. It was off the cuff and I probably had not played it for ten years prior and also probably not since either.

https://vimeo.com/album/208022/video/10824304

Let's pick,

-Tom

The album seems to be password protected.

Thanks for all the comments everyone, I appreciate them all. Here is a link to the Mike Ness version. He is the founder and frontman for the band Social Distortion - this is from his solo record that has a more country vibe than the punk of Social D. His obviously better than mine as he has a full band backing him and a pretty cool guitar solo there in the middle. This was one of the first songs I learned to play and sing at the same time. Thanks for taking the time to watch.

(Mike Ness) Sorry dude, not feeling it at all. That's butchery.

Nike Mess? Air-less, to say the least.

Loch Ness? Definitely should sink rather than swim.

Love rockabilly, but a real rockabilly guitarist could handle the original changes, chuck in a couple of jazzy substitutions and wang the whammy bar all at the same time. Jason, I think your version beats this one.

I don't know, I think the Mike Ness thing actually sort of worked in its way. It's very punk sounding and there is a sense of deconstructing and even stomping on the original song even as it pays homage to it. It's purposely playing with the listener's expectations and producing a sort of dissonance. this is not my cup of tea but I can appreciate what it is. But this doesn't translate quite so well back in the acoustic solo performance without the electric guitars and the nihilistic feel...just sounds like oddly incomplete chords for this song.

Archived