Gibson Brands Forums

Fret buzz

daveinspain

Hey you guys... I'm getting a slight buzz from my open D string coming from the first fret. Started happening after a string change. Seem like the D string is sitting right on the first fret and if I fret it there it doesn't buzz anywhere else. I'm thinking the nut might be cut too deep and it sits a hair lower then the other strings. Is there a good way do fill the nut a bit in that slot so it sits up a little higher?

Guest Farnsbarns

Hey you guys... I'm getting a slight buzz from my open D string coming from the first fret. Started happening after a string change. Seem like the D string is sitting right on the first fret and if I fret it there it doesn't buzz anywhere else. I'm thinking the nut might be cut too deep and it sits a hair lower then the other strings. Is there a good way do fill the nut a bit in that slot so it sits up a little higher?

Yes, carefully, with Araldite or a similar hard setting epoxy resin. You might want to pay attention to the colour your chosen resin dries. White or clear being advisable. Also, consider using a little extra hardener when mixing it.

I've seen good results with thin superglue and baking soda being inserted and filed to suit.

:blink: Don't know about that one... I'd be afraid of the baking soda deteriorating or discoloring in time... I think the clear epoxy is the way to go... Now i'll try to find a good clear epoxy...

My 5* just did a complete setup on my Songwriter for me and on the G and B strings he filled in the nut slots using a mixture of bone dust and super glue. He then filed them to a new level and no more buzz.The rest of the strings the slot cuts are fine although they look deep. The Nut action clearance is tight but the guitar plays superbly.

Archived