Gibson Brands Forums

Great Player but... BAD TONE!!!

Blueblooded

I don't ever recall listening to a song in my life and saying "I love this but he needs a better guitar tone.."

But that's probably just me. :-k

Well, Searcy, with your experience winding pickups, etc. I was a little surprised that you had never thought about a song that had a great riff or hook and considered whether you liked the tone or thought it could be much better if it were played using different equipment or recorded differently. Maybe this thread will have you listening to things you've heard thousands of times a little differently in the future - like Sympathy for the Devil perhaps.

For me, It was my now 22 year old son that at about 14 years old pointed out some things that he thought were good and bad tone. He and I don't always agree, but it was he that got me listening more closely to the tone on recordings that I have been listening to for decades. It taught me a lot.

I must say that I agree with a majority of the comments in this thread. I wasn't sure where it would go when I started it, and I'm glad it has people discussing their likes and dislikes. Even more, I think it's really cool that some people are becoming more aware of the tone they like and dont, just as I have since my son started me thinking and listening differently.

To be such a phenomenal player with crap tone would be Paul Gilbert. It's unbelievable how he plays that fast and precise with that glassy brittle clean tone and smiling the whole time he is doing it. One of my favorite players I just wished I could hear him play with a nice creamy fluid tone for a change..

You guys put this thought in my head and I finally found one. Here is a crap tone playing a crap solo but.... it's being done by a crap player... so...I'm still not sure it counts. :-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BGRHwj6cE8

I've always hated this tone as well. It lacks sustain and is too raspy.

To be such a phenomenal player with crap tone would be Paul Gilbert. It's unbelievable how he plays that fast and precise with that glassy brittle clean tone and smiling the whole time he is doing it. One of my favorite players I just wished I could hear him play with a nice creamy fluid tone for a change..

Paul's not always had a glassy brittle tone. Mr Big is one of my favourite bands and his tone on the ballads isnt bad. Was just listening to fuzz universe, and quite a few of those songs a a creamier tone than he generally uses. Plastic Dracula is a good example of this. I think its probably the single coils he tends to use which is what makes it usually glassy sounding

You guys put this thought in my head and I finally found one. Here is a crap tone playing a crap solo but.... it's being done by a crap player... so...I'm still not sure it counts. :-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BGRHwj6cE8

This solo nicely matches the song IMHO. It's not the place for a nice and decent little melody I think. I also guess that very few of the players usually called guitar heroes would have got this anyway better. By the way, it's not that easy when trying to cover it note for note and close in tone - a real challenge.

Archived