Gibson Brands Forums

When did YOU last BUY music?

Lu Ruello

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I can see your point...but, I'm old school...I like the feel of

a record, CD, Vinyl, and the information (liner notes, cover art, etc.)

that goes with the buying/owning experience. Plus, I like the often

undiscovered "gems" on albums, that just getting the more well known

songs, off the net, might not otherwise allow. Unless of course, you

knew about them, to begin with.

But, I'm OLD!! [tongue] LOL

CB

Well, I can see your point...but, I'm old school...I like the feel of

a record, CD, Vinyl, and the information (liner notes, cover art, etc.)

that goes with the buying/owning experience. Plus, I like the often

undiscovered "gems" on albums, that just getting the more well known

songs, off the net, might not otherwise allow. Unless of course, you

knew about them, to begin with.

But, I'm OLD!! [tongue] LOL

CB

I'm OLD too LOL. But apart from the liner and artwork experience of Vinyl albums, not CD's, the whole album is available to hear on streaming sites generally speaking. I've heard Paul McCartney and Elton John's new albums recently, 2 of which would NOT get any airplay on our most popular real radio stations in Sydney today btw! What a strange music world we live in!

I ordered a couple CDs off amazon a couple months ago.

I don't buy like I used to but I still like getting new stuff now and then.

So my answer to this question "Why bother when you can stream it anyway?" is:

Because music was never meant to be enjoyed through crappy computer speakers.

Most kids know don't even know what fidelity is.

They listen to mp3 through crappy earbuds.....

But it seems that's the way it's going,, pretty sad if you ask me.

I ordered a couple CDs off amazon a couple months ago.

I don't buy like I used to but I still like getting new stuff now and then.

So my answer to this question "Why bother when you can stream it anyway?" is:

Because music was never meant to be enjoyed through crappy computer speakers.

Most kids know don't even know what fidelity is.

They listen to mp3 through crappy earbuds.....

But it seems that's the way it's going,, pretty sad if you ask me.

i've made the same comment numerous times. when i was a teen in the 70's, my friends and i saved and saved $, and spent every penny we had on the finest stereo equipment available. now kids listen to crap music, on crap digital media, thru crap ear buds... yea, im a curmudgeon.

i've made the same comment numerous times. when i was a teen in the 70's, my friends and i saved and saved $, and spent every penny we had on the finest stereo equipment available. now kids listen to crap music, on crap digital media, thru crap ear buds... yea, im a curmudgeon.

Damn right,, I had a nice stereo long before I had a nice car.

Curmudgeons unite. [thumbup]

lol

Damn right,, I had a nice stereo long before I had a nice car.

Curmudgeons unite. [thumbup]

lol

Man, I bought my first Beatles album, and listened to it, on

a cheap stereo...which, at 14, I was "lucky" to have, even that,

at the time. I remember, however, visiting my Uncle, in Topeka,

who was a Serious Stereo buff, and had a GREAT system, in his upstairs

den. While in Topeka, I purchased the "A Hard Day's Night" album,

and asked if I could put it on HIS Stereo! He agreed. BIG MISTAKE!

LOL...as I "Cranked it up," and my (otherwise tolerant) Mother came

rushing upstairs, admonishing me, to "Turn It Down, the windows

downstairs are rattling!" LOL But, WHAT a Sound!! Awesome!!

We (all) later laughed about that whole experience! [biggrin]

CB

CB

Listening to music on my first turntable as a teen nearly KILLED ME!! The belt had slipped and silly me decided to unscrew the base and have a fiddle around with the power STILL ON!!

I touched the incoming power solder joint and got a big WHACK from it but by God's grace I was on a wooden floor and was knocked away from the zap rather than fried. A lesson well learned! [unsure]

Well...

I ain't "bought" music since about the point I quit buying books and magazines.

We've had copyright discussions along these lines but here's my deal in terms of personal practicality.

I'm older than dirt and basically at minimum "on call" 24-7, and don't ask how many "hours."

When I'm not working, I'm either pickin' or floppin' - and if the latter, I've a bit of material downloaded or copied from my tapes, CDs or vinyls for computer replay.

I've a batch more that "some day," as with more negatives than you wanna think about, to also digitize. That's another 20-30,000 frames at least, and ... some VCR tapes I figure are just "gone." Ditto the copies form 3/4 inch videotape.

So... work, relax. Watch the tube or play guitar... At work blast music when others aren't there from my laptop through some admittedly crappy speakers. On a weekend when I'm alone in the office, perhaps on a "coffee break off the clock," bash around a bit on a cupla archtops I leave in the office nobody's howled about.

As for sound quality from recordings... I guess I don't expect as much as some. My head adds some "tone" I guess, but lyric and arrangement come through fine.

m

I've been playing music for a long time, and I will not take someones music without compensation, just like I expect. I am also a man of the times, so I buy from iTunes or I buy the cd and stick it on my iPod. I plug the iPod into the studio and blast away when I need some speaker air, but for the most part keep decent headphones all over the house for listening when needed.

I don't participate in trading clips or posting bits of stuff because I believe music should be compensated. I don't put anything in public that hasn't been copyrighted properly or secured permission from the co-writers if needed.

I wish it wasn't as expensive as it is to hang stuff up on the iTunes, but it is the way it is today, without big distribution behind you it is expensive but doable, which it was not doable when I was young.

I am old. Stealing is stealing, it doesn't change because a computer is used.

rct

I purchase vinyl albums quite regularly. I have a nice stereo setup with a turntable. Love listening to albums on vinyl and the new releases all come with a digital download included so i'll download that and put it on my iPhone. The last one I got was CHVRCHES LP.

I've been playing music for a long time, and I will not take someones music without compensation, just like I expect. I am also a man of the times, so I buy from iTunes or I buy the cd and stick it on my iPod. I plug the iPod into the studio and blast away when I need some speaker air, but for the most part keep decent headphones all over the house for listening when needed.

I don't participate in trading clips or posting bits of stuff because I believe music should be compensated. I don't put anything in public that hasn't been copyrighted properly or secured permission from the co-writers if needed.

I wish it wasn't as expensive as it is to hang stuff up on the iTunes, but it is the way it is today, without big distribution behind you it is expensive but doable, which it was not doable when I was young.

I am old. Stealing is stealing, it doesn't change because a computer is used.

rct

I think you missed the point rct. Free streaming of full albums that are put up through places like tunecore and end up on Rdio.com ISN'T STEALING!! But somehow artists are being used and paid crap whilst the streaming corps make a bucketload! Now THAT makes me mad.

What makes me more angry is how ASCAP and BMI and their attorneys are making money from venues with singer-songwriters who aren't even "members" through their "sampling" of published and "broadcast" music.

But this ain't about copyright, one way or another. Or how both of the U.S. "licensing" firms even claim folk music that pre-dates most current concepts of copyright.

It's about the way things have changed in terms of how we listed to music.

I think "we" as a general culture will not soon return to "hi fi" outside our earbuds or "home theater system."

Even the home computer as we've known it for the past 30 years will be less obvious and "we" will lose our own music we create by having "the cloud" section we rent as the only place for storage. That I find frightening.

That's also to do with "who owns our personal material" of any sort once it's put onto some sort of internet "place." We've functionally already lost most of our photos and... whatcha think may be next?

That's why, IMHO, you're seeing and will increasingly see artists seeing performance as the only way to make a buck, and that likely a lot of recordings will functionally be "advertising" for the performance as opposed to a revenue stream that mostly goes to the "licensing" agencies anyway.

"Copyright" will see its focus increasingly to commercial use of materials, regardless the genre.

It's a changing paradigm, but the pre-internet era of recorded music and copyright from the 20th century is about as dead as the average dinosaur. Even that has been a very short-lived interpretation of copyright law based on roughly 25 years of recorded and broadcast music that was pushed by big record companies, ASCAP and then BMI whose lawyers saw a buck. Before home recording, they had a heyday 'twixt roughly 1945 (research the ASCAP strike, for example) and the ubiquity of internet connection. 50-60 years? Note that their sampling techniques for payoffs of artists remains "proprietary."

m

As a matter of fact, I just purchased an album off iTunes today. It was to replace a CD by The Ravyns (old local band) of my wife's that I broke by accident over a year ago, and I can never find it on CD format. So I paid to download the album and then burned it to CD for her.

Well, The Ravyns did have a brief moment of national fame when one of their songs "Raised On The Radio" was used in the Fast Times At Ridgemont High soundtrack. [thumbup]

Latest cd I ordered were the Zz Top box with all records till 93, La Futura and Lynyrd Skynyrd Last of the dying breed.

Latest music I bought on itune or amazon was Dana Fuch and John Mayall Bluesbreaker Beano

Even if I dowload and pay digital music I like to buy cd still.

Ah yes and forgot, Jason Becker's Perpetual.

Make sense to me because money is going yo his fundation and I am really impressed by him, his fight, his will and his positive attitude when I feel a bit down I watch his movie Not Dead Yet

Music I know is bound to get old and meh I buy on iTunes.

Music I know is going to be amazing for ever and always be a full album experience I get in CD or vinyl.

I got NIN's latest this September that passed. I have each of their records and I play them start to finish...then later I can sift through and overplay whatever tracks.

about 18 months ago, my local convenience store/gas station got in a case of "old music CDs" in really nice metal tins for $5 each....I grabbed some Chuck Berry, John Lee Hooker, Marvin Gaye, Howlin' Wolf, Ernestine Andersen, & Lightnin' Hopkins.

all pirated Chinese copies but it's all origional recordings, LIGHTLY re-mastered, and sounds really good!

i'm a luddite about music....I stream nothing, not even an ipod or smart-phone.

CB

I remember going to my Grandmothers house to play records because she had a REAL STEREO console !! and all I had was a 1950something folding mono "record player".

My Nanny was such a cool person, she loved ALL music as long as it wasn't profanity laced.....we'd listen to early KISS, Queen, Aerosmith, Stones....but her favorite album of mine was Live & Dangerous by Thin Lizzy....sometimes i'd leave it there and she'd play it while I was gone.

I sure miss her.....

Yesterday, I bought Rubber Soul by the Beatles... Just so happens the local news paper is doing a promotion and offering the complete Beatles collection in a box set. Every Sunday they offer a different title until you fill the complete set... Pretty cool... I haven't bought any new music in ages... [blush]

Archived