Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J200 Pickguard

howlin' wolf

Hi, can anyone help? I have recently bought a 2002 Gibson J200 and the pickguard is a dark tortoise colour. Now, I prefer the brighter red colour seen on 50's and 60's examples but don't know how to go about getting one. I think some re-issue models have this but don't know if they are higher spec reissues or maybe just a result of how they are photographed? Are these available after market from Gibson or can I get one made? I figure I can sell the original one to offset the cost... Thanks :)

Hi, can anyone help? I have recently bought a 2002 Gibson J200 and the pickguard is a dark tortoise colour. Now, I prefer the brighter red colour seen on 50's and 60's examples but don't know how to go about getting one. I think some re-issue models have this but don't know if they are higher spec reissues or maybe just a result of how they are photographed? Are these available after market from Gibson or can I get one made? I figure I can sell the original one to offset the cost... Thanks :)

A Gibson authorized repair center can probably get you a red one as a replacement, but it will cost you something like $300 and you may not be able to recoup any of the cost by selling the original (since I think the repair place is supposed to hang on to the old one). Charging a ludicrous price for these things is a long-standing Gibson tradition. You might want to consider other sources if you really prefer the red. (Trying to get someone at Gibson in Bozeman to have pity and help you out is another option. :))

-- Bob R

Howlin, if your J200 is a natural blonde, the red will show up better than if it is a sunburst. At least, mine does, in part because it is more translucent than opaque. I mean it isn't a solid red but a little bit clear, so you can see some wood through it. G'luck.

or you take your current guard off, go to Gibson centre, stump up a ridiculous amount and say you lost your previous one. *

* I dont see how that can be put in to place though as technically you own the other guard. I wouldn't handover $300 for a guard to begin with, but $300 and give up one you own as well... well, that's a fat no, no, no....

Google is your friend here, plenty people making good quality guards with/without the design, if Gibson doesn't want to be reasonable in a service like this well they deserve all the copying of guards it makes way for. Ludicrous, greedy and utterly ridiculous policy if accurate.

or you take your current guard off, go to Gibson centre, stump up a ridiculous amount and say you lost your previous one. *

* I dont see how that can be put in to place though as technically you own the other guard. I wouldn't handover $300 for a guard to begin with, but $300 and give up one you own as well... well, that's a fat no, no, no....

Google is your friend here, plenty people making good quality guards with/without the design, if Gibson doesn't want to be reasonable in a service like this well they deserve all the copying of guards it makes way for. Ludicrous, greedy and utterly ridiculous policy if accurate.

That is not the policy. If someone has a warranty issue with a part being replaced we ask for the replaced part to be returned so it cannot be sold. Your best bet is looking for an after market guard. Even if the PG is sold thru a dealer we can only provide the dealer with the Spec PG the guitar originally had on it. This protects everyone who purchases special guitars that are spec'd with certain attributes to make a model more unique.

All the best.

Jeremy

That is not the policy. If someone has a warranty issue with a part being replaced we ask for the replaced part to be returned so it cannot be sold. Your best bet is looking for an after market guard. Even if the PG is sold thru a dealer we can only provide the dealer with the Spec PG the guitar originally had on it. This protects everyone who purchases special guitars that are spec'd with certain attributes to make a model more unique.

All the best.

Jeremy

Thanks for the clarification, Jeremy. Understandable in warranty claims, but not in replacement situations.

I misread your response earlier… I guess I should have gone to specsavers :D

Archived