Gibson Brands Forums

Help Ease My Fears

jw3571

I decided to pull the trigger on 2013 Hummingbird, it's on its way as we speak. I made the mistake of reading some reviews of the Hummingbird over on AGF and most of them weren't positive. They talked about spotty quality control and a tone that didn't have much balls behind it. A nice blending sound while strumming but lacking a real low end. I got a different feeling when reading reviews over here. I currently have a Taylor 618, how will it compare to this?

The thing about Gibsons is that one either "gets it" or they don't.....lol.....For myself, Gibsons are kind of like me-----different, sometimes ostracized, snickered at, stubborn, and maybe a diamond in the rough. I "get it" when it comes to Gibsons. I identify with them. I feel that I bond with them very easily. I want and often need to play them. When I think of Gibsons, countless names from my lifetime come to mind: Dylan, Cash, Emmy Lou Harris, Peter Yarrow, Ian Tyson, and on and on. ........In regards to the constant denigration of Gibsons on other websites I can only say what I've experienced with Gibsons. I've got five at the moment and they all shine. They're Rock & Roll, Folk, Country, Alternative, Traditional, Gospel, Americana........Each Gibson is different. They're not cookie-cutter guitars. Again, speaking for myself, I don't want my Hummingbird to be identical to someone else's. Don't want it to sound the same, feel the same. The Gibsons coming-out of Bozeman are among the best guitars in the world and they talk to me. You've got to play who you are.

Bozeman-made Hummingbirds are nice guitars. Ren Ferguson, who for many years was chief luthier and architect at Gibson acoustic, is very fond of this model having had one as a young fellow. I think the newer ones sound magnificent. This guitar was originally modeled after Martin's square shouldered dreadnought, the D-18, but somehow sounds very different from a D-18. I'd love to have a recent Hummingbird myself. Don't listen to naysayers on AGF. Maybe you can post a video playing it when you get it.

A slightly peculiar situation for you there – you pulled a Gibson home without really knowing what it's like.

Not the model, nor the particular ex.

That's what I call a dream-guitar.

Then suddenly opinions on another forum spread doubt.

2 things : I am the happy owner of 5 of these hog squares – and really love them.

But, , , , at the same time I can see what they mean over there. The Hummingbird isn't a Martin dread, it isn't a Gibson Firebird Custom or a J-45.

The H-bird is in a booth of its own and some could call it more withheld, lesser projecting or even feminine*, take it or leave it.

One of my friends – a serious Santa Cruz and J-45 guy – don't really cope with the H-bird/Country & Western. Primarily for the reasons above.

I can see why from his angle, , , , but have a secret plan to convince him over time ,-).

We'll await the development, , , also regarding you and your new purchase.

Don't hesitate to report – and don't forget Birds too are individuals from # to #.

*Guess MP won't subscribe to this

There are people posting on the agf that they dont believe in capos .

I really wouldn't be paying much attention.

Or , certainly learn to pay less attention to people who dont know what they're talking about.

I hope yoir guitar is great and you love it.

I for one am looking forward to your pictures and hopefully sound sample .

Well, I've owned my Hummingbird TV for a few months now & my other "keeper" is a Southern Jumbo New Vintage (effectively a gloss TV), so I can make some comparisons between my 2 examples of these fine guitars for you.

They are very different animals IMHO, both wonderful but different. The 'bird is very gentle, mellow & makes for a lovely strummer behind my amateur singing efforts, whilst the SJ is a bold beast, much "louder" with that classic Gibson "thump".

I love them both but if I was only allowed to keepo one it would be the SJ, no contest. I guess it all depends on your own experience with your particular example, what you're going to be using it for & also how you like the aesthetics of the 2 guitars which are also very different.

I'd add that I wouldn't swap either for a Taylor or Martin, I've owned fine dreads from both these makers (an 810 & a HD-28) & simply never bonded with the treble-heavy Taylor sound or bass-heavy Martin tone. I'm just a Gibson guy I guess... [thumbup]

It's a Gibson board so you're unlikely to get much feedback that isn't glowing. However, it is a popular model for good reasons, the rest is down to personal opinion, you'll either love it and it's a keeper or you'll be underwhelmed and you can return it assuming the store has normal returns process.

I think you will be surprised at how much you like the guitar when you open the case and strum it for the 1st time. (eeash sounds like a sexual overtone)

If you don't like it and cannot return it, then you need to sell it, take a loss and choose a guitar you have heard before. But again, I think you will like it. I played a couple over the weekend and while it is not a guitar the projects loudly, it is mellow and super sweet in it's tone! Personally if I owned it I would put a set of 13s on it to get that added punch. Keep us posted on what you think when you get it.

Yeah the Hummingbird is a unique design, I dont know any other model that comes close to the tone of a Hummingbird.

Em7 is right that in some ways it has a 'feminity' to it .... but is not feminine. I would say it has an elegant complexity, but still a raw and primal foundation.

Plugged in it is the most explosive, impressive guitar Ive heard .... you can easily get a tone that sounds like three guitars plaing together from the pronounced bottom end, sweet highs and nectarish overtones.

The one area where I feel it lacks is for lead work or bluesy fingerpickin' as the honey glaze doesnt cut through as well as an AJ or J-45, but on the other hand nothing sounds better than a Bird' when doing arpeggio type single note work.

Its a very special guitar.

Reading the 10 responses in this thread must make the waiting-game 10 times more exciting.

It surely makes me wanna go pick mine.

Just boiled the steel and restrung yesterday - it's a gas - (Martin 12's Flexcore)

Yes, you heard me - down in the soup they went. . .

Reading the 10 responses in this thread must make the waiting-game 10 times more exciting.

It surely makes me wanna go pick mine.

Just boiled the steel and restrung yesterday - it's a gas - (Martin 12's Flexcore)

Yes, you heard me - down in the soup they went. . .

I haven't got a lot of money em7 , but I could lend you a couple of £'s for a set of strings

Stick a tape recorder microphone inside it and you get instant Jumping Jack Flash era Keef too. Possibly his best ever electric rhythm guitar tones. The Bird is so much more versatile than everybody would have you believe.

Street fighting man was another mojo .

Mans never had a blue chip pick near him ;)

I haven't got a lot of money em7 , but I could lend you a couple of £'s for a set of strings

Yeah, I spent all my coins on guitars -

Thanx, but there's still an okay collection to choose from in the armchair with the 3 cases and a Country & Western on top.

I like all brands of guitars, but I have 4 Gibson acoustics and 4 LPs. The best acoustic in the house is my 2010 HB TV 2nd place is 2003 HB Std.

As described above they do have a lush honey sound. But occasionally you get a Bird that is a cannon. The following is anecdotal but true and not a brag.

I was gassing for a Martin D42 and went to the local shop that dealt exclusively with Martins. I took my HB TV and my friend Tom who is a pro musician and teaches guitar.

I wanted to A/B the Martins against the Bird, I fully intended on buying a Martin that day, I had cash in my pocket. So I played several martins the D42, 28s, 15s etc.. (an EC too)

Tom played the Bird. The Bird just totally drowned out all the Martins I played. I thought this isn't right HBs are not supposed to overwhelm Martins, it is usually the other way around.

Even the owner and sales staff came over to hear Tom and I playing and they were to put it mildly stunned at the tone and volume the Bird was putting out. Not all Birds are equal,

my 2003 Std is a sweetheart but has no where near the volume of my HB TV unplugged.

Needless to say I left the music store that day without a Martin.

P.S. Recorded 'Blue on Black' on the HB TV, Friday evening- what a guitar! She's a sleep now until next Fri, I got other axes to practice on.

Aside: Standard Hummingbirds are an exceptional guitar and I am sure there are some that play like my TV. Btw my HB Std is easier ergonomically to play than the TV.

Same action and strings, weird huh?

I wanted to A/B the Martins against the Bird, I fully intended on buying a Martin that day, I had cash in my pocket. So I played several martins the D42, 28s, 15s etc.. (an EC too)

Tom played the Bird. The Bird just totally drowned out all the Martins I played. I thought this isn't right HBs are not supposed to overwhelm Martins, it is usually the other way around.

Interesting and I know you told about the loud Bird before. Let me add that mine isn't quiet at all, but some definitely are.

And almost all of them projects from a box of their own.

Have to ask - Do you go for volume and volume only, , ?

P.S. Recorded 'Blue on Black' on the HB TV, Friday evening- what a guitar! .

Would be good to hear this :-) possible ?

Aside: Standard Hummingbirds are an exceptional guitar and I am sure there are some that play like my TV. Btw my HB Std is easier ergonomically to play than the TV.

Same action and strings, weird huh?

Very, , , same neck-profile too of course. .

Don't be surprised if it needs a set up or a new nut or new pins or proper intonation at the bridge or proper humidification. My Advanced Jumbo arrived 3 weeks ago and that's what I had to do it, it's a fantastic guitar now after I replaced the poorly cut/way too high nut, replaced the bridge pins that rang like popeye cigarettes, properly intonated the bridge, and gave it some much needed humidity. I love the guitar now, I just wish my $2800 would have included someone checking the thing over before it was shipped to my doorstep.

snapback.pngMarkini, on 19 November 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

E-minor 7: Have to ask - Do you go for volume and volume only, , ?

Markini: Not at all, I have a guild M120E and a Yamaha compass both very toneful guitars but not very loud. I buy for 'tone' always.

Only other guitar I own that comes close to matching the TV in volume is my HB Pro.

Ive had my HB TV for a couple years and I reckon its volume increased by a good 25% in that time and has really opened up. In particular in the bottom end so much so that when I play it plugged I now have to reduce the bass levels by 50% to where it was a year ago. It really has a thunderous bottom end, and I reckon it has similar qualities to your HB TV Martini.

But ... Im pretty sure the neck profile is different on the HB TV and HB Standard, not sure exactly the terminology but I also noticed the standard was a bit easier to play and followed up checking that out.

Id love to hear your Blue on Black, we also cover that song, would be keen to hear how you approach it.

Ive had my HB TV for a couple years and I reckon its volume increased by a good 25% in that time and has really opened up. In particular in the bottom end so much so that when I play it plugged I now have to reduce the bass levels by 50% to where it was a year ago. It really has a thunderous bottom end, and I reckon it has similar qualities to your HB TV Martini.

But ... Im pretty sure the neck profile is different on the HB TV and HB Standard, not sure exactly the terminology but I also noticed the standard was a bit easier to play and followed up checking that out.

Id love to hear your Blue on Black, we also cover that song, would be keen to hear how you approach it.

Probably put my foot in my mouth, but I will post it warts and all, it was only one take for fun. Good point on the bass voice on the TV, when I play it I do not EQ at all. Usually straight into

a cheap mixer, then out powered speakers. Of course playing through a Fishman 220 or Acoustronics I too turn down the Bass.

Archived