Gibson Brands Forums

NGD :)

btoth76

Hello All!

I've been browsing the net for a guitar's spec and ran into Guitarguitar's site.

They were offering an L6S Reissue for 599 GBP with hardcase! That's half the price they are selling one here (418.000 Hungarian Forints). [scared] So I couldn't just leave it there. Delivery to Budapest costed 19 GBP only. :)

After asking the shop to confirm the instrument's mint condition, I bought it on Friday. It has just arrived to my office...so pictures will be available only tomorrow.

Nice, featherlight guitar! :) Can't wait to get home to test it. :)

Another great experience with another company in the UK. I love dealing with them: great support, items as described, nice people.

Cheers... Bence

Hello Bence, HNGD, that's an awesome deal, incredible price! [thumbup]

However, I am waiting for pics though... [love]

OK, I know well how it should look like. [biggrin] The models for Europe usually are darkbacks like mine whereas on some others back of body and neck either are finished in Silverburst, too, with black rims and neck joint.

These are great guitars, just don't understand their rather limited success. [glare]

Hello Capmaster!

Thank You! :)

Indeed, it's a black-back, which is OK for me.

It's a 2011 model. Brand-new, though. That clearly indicates how much interest this guitar has gained...hence the price, I guess. But still, my LP Studio 50's Tribute with the ... gigbag costed more than this unique beast with the hardcase.

They have another one for the same price, but that's a B-stock: http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_guitars_detail.asp?stock=13090513123131 (Small chip on headstock - cosmetic only)

Cheers... Bence

Thank You, Searcy!

That's how She looks like. :)

It wasn't a planned purchase. I was saving up for one of those Midtown Kalamazoo's...but chances were small of getting one of those here...

...it was an opportunity I couldn't let go. :)

Cheers... Bence

Sine both of mine are made in 2011, and I never saw any made later, I think there was just a single production run for either finishes offered. My Antique Natural one I bought on May 18th, 2011, is just 18 days older than the Silverburst finished which I purchased on June 1st, 2012.

The only thing I would have designed differently is the headstock. It woould have been best I think to make size and shape in the image of the classic 1970s model which is to be found e. g. on the actual LPX. My 1973 L6-S isn't neck-heavy anyway. The slight neck diving tendencies of the 2011 model are easily controllable with an appropriate neck strap though. I think they just wanted a bit of an optical difference since pickups and circuitry are very different, too.

Many congrats, Bence!

I know you will love the tonal spectrum it has.

Looking forward to the snaps!

P.

Thank You, Pippy!

I am "seating on needles" in my office. I am really curious about it. All-maple construction, 490R/498T pickup combination with coil-taps...another guitar that's different to the others I have. :)

Cheers... Bence

Agree! At least they've put a small volute on it. A feature I like (and many hate).

Cheers... Bence

Really? Perhaps I don't remember it, haven't seen my Silverburst L6S since June, 8th, so I think I will have to look for that when I will fetch her back from nut repair. My Antique Natural one does not have a volute.

Really? Perhaps I don't remember it, haven't seen my Silverburst L6S since June, 8th, so I think I will have to look for that when I will fetch her back from nut repair. My Antique Natural one does not have a volute.

Not such a huge one as on the Recording...

HPIM3276_zpsbffc709c.jpg

...but, yes, that's definitely a volute. :)

Cheers... Bence

The first impressions after the "honeymoon".

I thought, the guitar would be larger. Much larger than the Les Paul. Judging from the size of the case, it really seemed so.

HPIM4316_zpsc1dd9655.jpg

LP case on the left.

Then, the truth is...

HPIM4317_zpsb2940cf5.jpg

The body length is shorter, compared to the Les Paul. The case lining is much better stuffed.

Opening the case, the well-known vanilla scent hits in the face. :)

The instrument is very light. About half as thin as the Les Paul:

HPIM4330_zpsea36df7d.jpg

End of part 2.

The guitar aestetically flawless, perfectly made. Action a bit high (as usual on most new Gibsons out of the box).

HPIM4342_zps7bd4d35f.jpg

The silverburst color seems more like pelham-blue in artificial light. Unfortunately it doesn't shows on the photo.

The fingerboard's baked maple material is much lighter than on my Classic Custom. Redish with black stripes:

HPIM4347_zps31c1f28d.jpg

The headstock is the same size as the Custom's with a small volute.

End of part 3.

Playing Her...

I almost always play seated. Laying the guitar on my right leg, the neck immediately leaned backwards - neck-heavy. But the shape of the body nicely compensates this short-coming. "Locking" Her between my leg and my chest in a stable position - and the problem is solved. The belly-scarf makes it very comfortable to play this way.

The neck is slim (Slim Taper by specs), and wider than on a Les Paul. This is great! You immediately feel the difference: no strings bent over the edge of the fretboard, plenty of space between the E-strings and the edge! String tension is softer than on the Les Paul. I had to check it twice: it felt like having a .009 set on it, but no, it's .010. Access is great!!! No heel, the neck is just half centimetres thinner than the body itself. All the frets are comfortably accessible! Love it!

The six-way switch is inconvenient. It takes more than a flick-of-a-switch (as on a Les Paul) to change between pickups. In live situation that can be a pain to deal with. The pots are stiff - which is to my liking (I always turn them accidentally on my Tele).

Sound-wise: I thought - because of the maple construction - it will be twangy and bright. Absolutely not! It's a dark-sounding guitar with no twanginess at all. (0.033 capacitor?). The clean tone of both of the pickups - with all controls up - is distorted! It was a disappointment at first, until I found out that I had to roll down the bass pot to 8. Voilá: nice, pronounced cleans.

At gain: Less sustain compared to a Les Paul, but still enough. Sounds great at Tube Screamer gain levels, also at very high gain. Very nicely cooperates with a Wah - not all my guitars seems to. Coil-tapped sounds are lively, compensating the overall darkness of the instrument's tone.

After playing Her for only 3 hours, I have the firm idea that this instrument is for shredders/soloists. Encourages (and well serves) rapid playing. Excellent fret access to all 24-frets. The body size makes it very comfortable, easy to hold firmly - which are essential factors for precise playing. A hard-tail Les Paul Axcess on the tight budget.

9 points out of 10. (1 minus for pickup selection).

HPIM4318_zps17ef7e0f.jpg

Cheers... Bence

It took me some time to get acquainted with the rotary switch. Playing finger style it is not a problem, but it is a bit uneasy to not lose a flatpick. Once accustomed to when to switch how many steps, it goes rather fast and will achieve the desired position securely.

Comparing to using the toggle switch AND one or two push/pull pots for selecting the same setting on my Les Paul Standard 2012, the L6S rotary switch is much faster.

Considering the strap length I use, the L6S is the only guitar model that plays the same for me when standing or sitting.

By the way, I put Schaller strap locks on both of my 2011 L6S.

I also share your opinion that the L6S features an incredible fret access from 1st to 24th. [thumbup]

Hello Capmaster!

Last but, NOT least! Thank You for Your guidance and the well-detailed review of this instrument! [thumbup]

It convinced me to not to skip this opportunity.

After only 3 hours of playing, I am sure I've made the right decision! :)

Thank You again... Bence

Archived