Gibson Brands Forums

Lighter Fluid? Really?

Kentone

Hi all, new to forum and now the proud owner of a 1977 LP custom tobacco sunburst.

I heard somewhere to use lighter fluid as a cleaner? Wouldn't denatured or rubbing alcohol be safer for the job?

I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff for this, only clean the crud off the neck prior to restringing and not do any damage. Thanks all!

Lighter Fluid is "Naptha" and is safe (except for the breathing the fumes part) for Nitro & other finishes (don't know about French Polish) even Ric Conversion Varnish!!

Works great once and a while to really clean up & remove old wax/polish buildup. Then reapply a new light polish or wax (Ric's use wax like Turtle wax).

Aster

Guest Farnsbarns

I use Meguairs Final Inspection #34

The stuff is excellent and recommended for nitro finishes by Meguairs. No silicone or other polymers and cleans up the guitar very nicely.

That's a polish, it won't remove grease/oil/fingerprints/etc.

Also, I might be wrong but I think the OP is talking about cleaning the fretboard.

Also, I might be wrong but I think the OP is talking about cleaning the fretboard.

Yeah, just the fretboard. I'd use lighter fluid but the wife can hardly tolerate even rubbing alcohol which I have on hand.

post-60727-073760200 1385111675_thumb.jpg

I don't know of anything which works better than Naptha for cleaning. Its an aggressive cleaner and I only use it when a guitar has caked on aged filth. VM&P Naptha though and not the High Flash Naptha.

Virtuoso cleaner and polish works well for basic cleaning and polishing.

Sorry but your wrong, Final Inspection is not a polish, it is a cleaner and safe for all guitar finishes.

Missed the neck cleaning, sorry. I use F-One oil/cleaner on my fretboards and it has not failed me yet.

I heard somewhere to use lighter fluid as a cleaner? Wouldn't denatured or rubbing alcohol be safer for the job?...
Yup, lighter fluid is perfect. I use it all the time.
Lighter Fluid is "Naptha" and is safe...
I don't know of anything which works better than Naptha for cleaning. Its an aggressive cleaner...

Jimi removing some caked-on dirt. As you can see, he's a bit of an aggressive cleaner himself!

hendrix_zpsa53f2610.jpg

Well, somebody had to.............[blush]

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

Sorry but your wrong, Final Inspection is not a polish, it is a cleaner and safe for all guitar finishes.

I did some looking in to this as our body shop guys use it at work and I've always thought of it as a polish. I checked up a bit and the one thing I can see that would stop me using it on a guitar is the "very special lubricant which encapsulates dust, thus removing it". It might be fine but I'm not risking it on my geets. They also say it leaves a "glaze shine", to do that it is either leaving behind a film or it's a fine abrasive. I'm certainly not saying you're wrong but I have concerns. I'll stick to lighter fluid myself.

I did some looking in to this as our body shop guys use it at work and I've always thought of it as a polish. I checked up a bit and the one thing I can see that would stop me using it on a guitar is the "very special lubricant which encapsulates dust, thus removing it". It might be fine but I'm not risking it on my geets. They also say it leaves a "glaze shine", to do that it is either leaving behind a film or it's a fine abrasive. I'm certainly not saying you're wrong but I have concerns. I'll stick to lighter fluid myself.

The reason why the body shops use it is because it contains no silicone or other polymers that can cause paint adhesion problems.(one should never wax a nitro finish) All the stuff does is clean therefore leaving a shine when you are done. The Mirror Glaze designation is a little misleading as it is the name of a particular line, not what the stuff does. There are no abrasives in it and when wiped off there is nothing left behind. For polishing scratches out, I use Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze which has no silicone and is body shop safe. I spoke with one of the main guys at Meguiars as well as one of their chemists and it was confirmed to me that Meguiars #34 Final Inspection is safe for nitrocellulose finishes. In fact, it used to be bottled for Fender as a guitar cleaner for nitro finishes. I did ask why it wasn't anymore and I was told the lowest bidder won out.

Again, I don't use this on the fretboard, for that I use F-One Oil/cleaner.

Archived