Gibson Brands Forums

100 Yards Form Being Homeless

Rocky4

Best wishes and glad you're safe...

From being around more than a few of these, I've concluded that the immediate aid is very important.

Just as important is remembering down the road that people's loss of a belief in stability is a long-term thing.

Take care, and take care with neighbors and friends. That sorta friendship and closeness is perhaps a foundation longer-lasting than even a home.

m

I'm from Chicago, my local church is taking donations for you guys, I was planning on getting a few cases of bottled water. Would there be a more needed item than that i could donate? It's just terrible what happened. We got some bad wind gusts up north that actually blew over my fence, but i'm thankful nothing more happened. My thoughts are with you brother.

This link might help

http://www.cinewsnow.com/news/local/Tornado-victim-donation-drop-off-locations-232395101.html

Glad you're okay and damage to your house was limited, but I've no doubt the destruction all around you is causing all kinds of suffering. I was worried about friends downstate. They made out okay but your posts put a real face on this. Growing up in Indiana we had a close call with a tornado that somehow chose to skip about a half-mile area that included our house before touching down and tearing up another area of our town. Later, in college, I volunteered after a tornado destroyed a nearby town. Five years later I wound up working in that town and they were still recovering. Sorry for what you're going through. We'll do what we can from Chicago.

I just got steady power, gas, water, etc from Sundays tornado. This is what my neighborhood looks like...

1117131217_zpsd6626f33.jpg

The above picture was taken on my way home Sunday. I was at work. I learned that Washington had been hit and my wife texted me the same news. From there, I lost contact until a coworker was able to reach her. She said the house had minimal damage, but the neighborhood was gone. I rushed home and drove until debris blocked the road.I took this picture running from my car to my house.

I had a window busted, siding damage, roof damage, etc. All minimal compared to the north end of my street.....

1119131630_zpse90667fb.jpg

1119131629_zps63c9ec1a.jpg

Pictures don't come close to the devastation seen first hand. This is where I drive everyday, go for walks, ride my bike, etc. I have trouble navigating around because the landmarks are gone. Amazingly, only one death occurred. Cell phone alerts went off 15 minutes before the tornado hit, giving everybody a chance to take cover. The are things that stick to me.

Most people were at church, I'm sure this saved many lives

Cell phones were useless, but people could communicate with Facebook on smart phones

The amount of debris is amazing, Shingles, plywood, 2X4s, Insulation piled up everywhere

Belongings were found in Chicago

I saw a truck sideways wrapped around a tree

Monster oaks were uprooted

Gawkers, onlookers, etc made a bad situation 100 times worse

Police and military are at every intersection going into the affected are, you don't get in if your license doesn't say Washington, and even then you might not get in. My wife and I were denied access Monday after showering at in laws, We had to park and walk three miles to our house.

The volunteer work is unbelievable. Water, food, A local hardware store was bringing on truckloads of plywood, nails, tarps, etc. All free for who needed it.

Churches lead the way for those needing shelter. Setting up free meals, clothing, etc.

Looting was reported within hours of the storm

May God bless you and your neighbors in your hour of need.

I just got steady power, gas, water, etc from Sundays tornado. This is what my neighborhood looks like...

1117131217_zpsd6626f33.jpg

The above picture was taken on my way home Sunday. I was at work. I learned that Washington had been hit and my wife texted me the same news. From there, I lost contact until a coworker was able to reach her. She said the house had minimal damage, but the neighborhood was gone. I rushed home and drove until debris blocked the road.I took this picture running from my car to my house.

I had a window busted, siding damage, roof damage, etc. All minimal compared to the north end of my street.....

1119131630_zpse90667fb.jpg

1119131629_zps63c9ec1a.jpg

Pictures don't come close to the devastation seen first hand. This is where I drive everyday, go for walks, ride my bike, etc. I have trouble navigating around because the landmarks are gone. Amazingly, only one death occurred. Cell phone alerts went off 15 minutes before the tornado hit, giving everybody a chance to take cover. The are things that stick to me.

Most people were at church, I'm sure this saved many lives

Cell phones were useless, but people could communicate with Facebook on smart phones

The amount of debris is amazing, Shingles, plywood, 2X4s, Insulation piled up everywhere

Belongings were found in Chicago

I saw a truck sideways wrapped around a tree

Monster oaks were uprooted

Gawkers, onlookers, etc made a bad situation 100 times worse

Police and military are at every intersection going into the affected are, you don't get in if your license doesn't say Washington, and even then you might not get in. My wife and I were denied access Monday after showering at in laws, We had to park and walk three miles to our house.

The volunteer work is unbelievable. Water, food, A local hardware store was bringing on truckloads of plywood, nails, tarps, etc. All free for who needed it.

Churches lead the way for those needing shelter. Setting up free meals, clothing, etc.

Looting was reported within hours of the storm

So sorry to see such devastation there man! If you wonder about climate change, Sydney, Australia has had its first mini-tornado hit us this week. Nothing like what you have there but I fear its just the start. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all who are affected.

Cheers,

Lu

Rocky,

So glad your safe. 100 yards is Way too close but it was enough. Amazing on the difference just over a good side house lot makes in still being there or gone isn't it?

Our prayers & thoughts go out to you all hit in that area. Help all that need your help as has been said. You have A LOT TO BE THANKFUL FOR this year at Thanksgiving!!!

God Bless & keep safe. [thumbup] on what Searcy said. Looting in a disaster is about as low as it gets in my book.

Aster

My internet connection is spotty while service is being repaired, Have you ever seen a truck wrapped around a tree?

photo_zpsa7e9ef3f.jpg

While I have close to nothing as far as damage, parts of my town look like Hiroshima in 1945. You can't imagine the damage a tornado causes until you see it first hand.

Something I failed to mention was the high school's football team. The Washington Panthers.The Saturday before the storm they qualified for the state semifinals for the first time since 1985. The next day, 10 players lost their houses. The team grouped together to help the community, clearing out for people trapped, and giving the town something to rally behind. Their opponent, Springfield Sacred Heart Griffin, sent 9 Charter busses to Washington for the fans and donated thousands of dollars for tornado victims. The Panthers lost, but they are all heros. Top notch young men.

Washington_Strong_zps73b535fa.jpg

The donations coming in are off the chart. The Chicago Blackwawks donated $200, 000

Famous Dave came in and smoked BBQ at a local church for those without homes.

A local apartment complex was recently deemed unsafe to enter. 200 people will have to find somewhere else to live

People without houses are scrambling to find rental property close to the town. I know of a family of five living in a hotel room

Along with looters, scammers are out, trying to make quick cash off of people in need.

Debris removal is 24-7. I don't see a dent in it yet.

Many happy owner/pet reunions. I like this one

http://igorpurlantov...g-buried-alive/

Thanks for your concern, I'll keep you all posted as thing progress.

Happy Thanksgiving!

My God. I would say 'unbelievable' but it's all there in front of my eyes. You really were 100 yds from having your entire home turned to matchwood. The other side of the road the whole neighborhood is looking just like a huge rubbish tip.

It is quite harrowing to watch and to think about the poor people who this happened to....obviously far worse to be there. I can only imagine what the worst affected are going through now.

Best wishes Rocky.

This is a video I took yesterday. It's from my house down to the first stop sign and back. We're a long way from getting back to normal.

That video pretty much left me speechless. It really put in perspective how lucky you were.

All the best to you and your community Rocky.

Archived