Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone else love the smell of their new guitar?

spank

Sure - the smell of different new (and old) guitars is a niche of its own.

A huge part of the identity and a fleeting pleasure - they fade into something else over time.

It took me a while to accept the trade-mark vanilla-pie scent of Gibsons.

Now I love it though out of this world it is.

But that's the case-interior glue, isn't it ?

it would be downright lie if i said sometimes i don't open the case of my sj just to sniff her. that was my first "new" hog guitar i bought having owned hand me downs, vintage and one other new non hog guitar. intoxicating.

My SJTV smells great. But.... My Martin D15 smells like heaven. There is NO other guitar whose hole smells like that. Wait. This sounds horrible.

I remember the smell of that guitar of yours. You have no idea how close I came to buying her 3 times. My first Gibson crush.

My SJTV smells great. But.... My Martin D15 smells like heaven. There is NO other guitar whose hole smells like that. Wait. This sounds horrible.

LOL! Previous post has a name for that...............................................................

New Gibson acoustics have a complex scent. In the beginning the nitrocellulose lacquer smell predominates and underneath, like an aftertaste, is the scent of the freshly cut mahogany, rosewood, or maple. It's an intoxicating bouquet and a combination that remains in your memory long after the lacquer and wood scents fade.

Martins do not have quite as strong a lacquer smell, and they have a very distinctive smell which I believe comes from some sort of rosin or wax or rubbing compound that they employ near the end of the polishing process. A new Martin I bought a few years ago had the exact same smell that my D-18 had when I bought it in 1970. The smell seemed strongest in little shreds and remnants of what appeared to be a polishing compound. They were different woods, so I am pretty sure it's the finish or polishing compounds.

I just got a new Hummingbird Pro and everytime I open the case the smell is amazing. I imagine myself in the Gibson factory. I also put my nose above the soundhole once in while. My friend says it's the glue that gets me sniffin' it. But you're right, the smell is a bonus, not unlike the smell of a new car I suppose. [thumbup]

I have been playing my new J45 Koa and cant get over how much I love the smell of the wood. I think it even helped me in buying it. I am like a hound dog with my nose sometimes. What about you?

Yeah, I guess the smell's important. I hope it lasts.

I just got a new Hummingbird Pro and everytime I open the case the smell is amazing. I imagine myself in the Gibson factory. I also put my nose above the soundhole once in while. My friend says it's the glue that gets me sniffin' it. But you're right, the smell is a bonus, not unlike the smell of a new car I suppose. [thumbup]

Archived