Gibson Brands Forums

Janis Joplin's guitars

JuanCarlosVejar

thanks guys you are too kind =) .

she must have really loved the J 45 too it looks really worn

as far as when she got the guitars I was only able to find this about the hummingbird :

Sam Andrews of Joplin’s band Big Brother and the Holding Company recalls, “Shortly before she died, Janis gave me the Gibson Hummingbird she recorded ‘Me and Bobby McGee’ on. Janis was a good guitar player, for her purposes. She just wanted to play along with her songs, and she had a real pure and nice style for that.”

playingBobbyMcGeeonJanisHummingbird_zps7c0859f4.jpg

JC

Another fine shot of the vintage Bird, which shows a warmer hue.

But as we know, , , bursts change with light and both pics might speak the truth. (I too prefer the second).

Worth noting is of course the rosewood saddle insert - it seems old and could be original.

Interesting how choice of a material would have contrasted her voice - gentle chocolate meets raw flint.

Maybe a good solution in the bigger picture - few if any wants too much acoustic flix in her and the bands expression.

JCV - you are now entitled to an office of your own.

I think I only saw Pearl once--May of 1969, as I recall--but can't remember her strapping on a guitar. But Jeezus, the girl could belt out a song. I've never seen anyone put more energy into a performance.

I still have, tucked away in a file, a handbill from another concert the year before, one of her last with Big Brother, so it's possible I was at that one as well. There are a lot of things from 1968 and 1969 that are still a bit hazy in my mind........

Looking at the bindings, this must be JaniswBirdprobably.jpg the Bird

You guys who saw her live have lucky feathers round your heads.

Said it before : To have been in UK or the States when rock was born and actually participated is huuuuuge. . . .

I was there too - 11 years old with a picture of JJ on my wall. Admit I didn't really know her music.

Looking at the bindings, this must be JaniswBirdprobably.jpg the Bird

You guys who saw her live have lucky feathers round your heads.

Said it before : To have been in UK or the States when rock was born and actually participated is huuuuuge. . . .

I was there too - 11 years old with a picture of JJ on my wall. Admit I didn't really know her music.

Em,

yes that's the bird in the photo

JC

I saw her only once (@ University of Alabama in late sixties) but alas It was during one of her most drunken periods and performances. She came on stage with a full bottle and drank most of it during the evening. No value judgement here, it was also one of my most drunken periods and surely I drank just as much that night. Having said that, the venue was full of adoring fans and is a fond memory.

folks ,

I found some photos of her guitars she had a J 45 and a Hummingbird :

JanisJ452_zpsf6e10c21.jpg

JanisJ45_zpsc465068e.jpg

JanisHbird_zpse3835258.jpg

JanisHbird2_zps5ab5a5ba.jpg

JC

Dunno but the color an tuners don't really grab me...cool find though, did't know Janis was playing guitar [smile]

The first time I saw Janis was with Big Brother and I remember thinking while she was great the band sucked. I felt any number of local garage bands could have done a better job.

A friend of mine living on the west coast tells me he saw Janis at some place sitting in with Jorma. Now that I would have loved to see particularly since all we have left of them playing together is the "Typewriter Tapes."

The first time I saw Janis was with Big Brother and I remember thinking while she was great the band sucked. I felt any number of local garage bands could have done a better job.

A friend of mine living on the west coast tells me he saw Janis at some place sitting in with Jorma. Now that I would have loved to see particularly since all we have left of them playing together is the "Typewriter Tapes."

Okay you were there, and some of us weren't born, but no way, Zomby. No local garage band ever managed an arrangement of Summertime like Big Brother. And nobody else on earth ever got that baaaaad horsie sound that James Gurley got out of his guitar. One of the few guitarists of that or any era to make me sit up in the wake of first hearing Hendrix. Still gives me the shivers on Ball and Chain.

image_zps35f7c02f.jpg

The West Palm Pop festival ........1969 thanksgiving weekend.....

Cold wet and muddy.........

saw her and Big Brother ,late Saturday she Jams with Johnny Winter and some of the Jefferson Airplane wow what a weekend .

[thumbup]

image_zps2c475f7c.jpg

Never got to see Janis or Big Brother and the Holding Company but I always thought that Big Brother was a lot better than a lot of people gave them credit for being. I do remember seeing a lot of bands that seemed off somehow, to me. This was especially true of about seven or eight times that I saw the Dead. Of course some of them were off (and possibly, maybe, on something illegal), but I sometimes now think that it was the sound systems of the times and the venues were rough. It was really the infancy of large, live rock and roll performances so I chalk my impressions of those concerts off to that. Janis had the pipes though, any way you want to slice it. And I bet she never lip synched or digitally enhanced her voice...except with Southern Comfort.

The West Palm Pop festival ........1969 thanksgiving weekend.....

Cold wet and muddy.........

saw her and Big Brother ,late Saturday she Jams with Johnny Winter and some of the Jefferson Airplane wow what a weekend .

[thumbup]

Terrific program - Steppenwolf, Byrds, Stones, Airplane fx . .

Wonder who the un-mentioned bands were. . .

A bit funny to see a few of them played twice, , , but then again why not. . .

With your permission those pics are brought to archive.

For you poor folks that didn't grow in the Bay Area in the 60's, there is hope. There is a broadway play called "One Night With Janis" now playing in New York. We were lucky enough that it opened up in a small venue in San Jose before it took off in the Big Apple. I haven't seen anything I enjoyed more in a long long time. The gal that plays Janis is insanely talented; just like Janis was. She did every song you wanted to hear. If this tours by your town, see it.

• 2 years later...

Archived