Gibson Brands Forums

The Stones and Lady Gaga

MissouriPicker

I knew that comment was coming

but, never a truer comment was posted on here... watched it twice back to back as I go so much amusement from it.

....still, better than the Taylor Swift collaboration, then maybe not as at least we had something nice to look at.

Crackin body but it's got a bit of a rat face... first question that comes to mind is "I wonder if she got called Splinter at school"

Keef looks. bored. I guess he's seen a few female singers du jour mix it up with Mick. She can sing. But if I'm gonna go with young women in bad wigs showing their chops on the classics, I'll take Christina Aguilera doing Its A Mans Word on the Grammys a couple of years ago. I'll take it every day. Twice on Sundays.

P

Keef looks. bored. I guess he's seen a few female singers du jour mix it up with Mick. She can sing. But if I'm gonna go with young women in bad wigs showing their chops on the classics, I'll take Christina Aguilera doing Its A Mans Word on the Grammys a couple of years ago. I'll take it every day. Twice on Sundays.

P

Yeah, but no matter how many times she diets etc... there's a fat little turnip in there... While it might kill a narcotic fuelled Vegas weekend nicely enough, it's a high maintenance nightmare... nobody likes that far less it being a fat one to boot.

I wish the Stones would stop trying to be more appealing, relevant or whatever it is to a younger "hip" audience. Lady Gaga and her ilk are all interchangeable "faces." While they may be studied in business schools for the rest of time none of them are capable of coming up with a Beggar's or Exile.

Watching the stones these days is like watching a lawyer who's never lost a case fight one more battle in the court room while in the full throes of Alzheimer's... You'd really think they'd have better people around them to say when it's time to stop.

I don't believe it's going too far to say the actual Rolling Stones are one of the worst Rolling Stones cover bands out there...….

edit: bleedin iPhone autocorrect

Simply great. Didn't think about Lady Gaga singing my favorite Rolling Stones song Gimme Shelter, but to my taste she did it very great.

Incredible how she can walk and dance with those sick shoes [scared] Guess I would break my legs several times when taking just one step [biggrin]

Simply great. Didn't think about Lady Gaga singing my favorite Rolling Stones song Gimme Shelter, but to my taste she did it very great.

Incredible how she can walk and dance with those sick shoes [scared] Guess I would break my legs several times when taking just one step [biggrin]

Gaga is an incredible singer. You could almost think it was Mary Clayton.

I was at this show and remember thinking how Lady Gaga just absolutely ruined this song for me! And I am not a Gaga hater. I think she is very talented and can really sing, but that performance to me was like she was just going off somewhere on her own and not paying any attention to what Mick and the band were doing. You can even see it when she should be doing a back and forth with Mick, but instead is running around the other side of the stage from him. I had just seen Lisa Fischer perform this song with the Stones two nights before and she was amazing, as she always is! After that, Gaga's performance was disgraceful.

I was at this show and remember thinking how Lady Gaga just absolutely ruined this song for me! And I am not a Gaga hater. I think she is very talented and can really sing, but that performance to me was like she was just going off somewhere on her own and not paying any attention to what Mick and the band were doing. You can even see it when she should be doing a back and forth with Mick, but instead is running around the other side of the stage from him. I had just seen Lisa Fischer perform this song with the Stones two nights before and she was amazing, as she always is! After that, Gaga's performance was disgraceful.

One sniff too many before she went on stage was my thought too

Yeah, but no matter how many times she diets etc... there's a fat little turnip in there... While it might kill a narcotic fuelled Vegas weekend nicely enough, it's a high maintenance nightmare... nobody likes that far less it being a fat one to boot.

Chaka Khan is a big girl. Aretha is a big girl. Ella is a big girl. They all kick ***. Past the "fat little turnip" comment, I couldn't even follow what you were saying, but I'm pretty sure it had noting to do with talent.

p

Indeed! Lisa is such a wonderful singer. Her choice to shun solo stardom in favor of backup singing is nicely chronicled in "20 Feet From Stardom."

I watched that one. Just stumbled across it one day.

All in all though from the release of the "Jumpin' Jack Flash" 45 rpm through "Exile" the Stones were the greatest rock and roll band in the world. The '72 tour in particular was freakin' amazing. If you have not reads it, Keef's "life" is a fun read. Some great insight in there on the acoustic guitar as a rock and roll instrument.

The only entertainment value was watching Gaga being able to stay upright on those platform shoes.

It was mesmerizing. To watch a pretty girl dance and sing, (pretty well)!, while wearing a wig, striped body suit and the highest platform shoes I've ever seen, was really like watching a chain saw juggler, waiting in suspense to see which limb was going to be lost first.

Past the "fat little turnip" comment, I couldn't even follow what you were saying, but I'm pretty sure it had noting to do with talent.

p

We see expressions on here on a daily basis, things that would never be used on our side of the world, we say nothing… we use an expression or two here and there and we get pulled about folk not following. Here's one more… If you stay up all night it'll dawn on ye….. :D

I wouldn't imagine I need to clarify my stance on the Stones, but re: Chrsitina,... Christina is a well documented Diva, i.e. a high maintenance nightmare.. Christina is also a plumpy little chubber most of the time for what she is/does "a fiery little white girl with hooker blonde hair selling a bit of tit & ***", this works when it's a skinny-minnie 'genie in a bottle' era for the visual factor, it doesn't work at all when it's rolling around and spilling out of a dress like a size 14 in size 6 clothes. It looks cheap & nasty. I also offered that while many would opt for a nasty weekend with her for previous visual merits, we should wonder why she can't hold on to anyone longer than 5 minutes and we arrive back at her being a bit of a nightmare, past her prime, starting to fatten & fester like over ripe fruit. SImple.

We see expressions on here on a daily basis, things that would never be used on our side of the world, we say nothing… we use an expression or two here and there and we get pulled about folk not following. Here's one more… If you stay up all night it'll dawn on ye….. :D

I wouldn't imagine I need to clarify my stance on the Stones, but re: Chrsitina,... Christina is a well documented Diva, i.e. a high maintenance nightmare.. Christina is also a plumpy little chubber most of the time for what she is/does "a fiery little white girl with hooker blonde hair selling a bit of tit & ***", this works when it's a skinny-minnie 'genie in a bottle' era for the visual factor, it doesn't work at all when it's rolling around and spilling out of a dress like a size 14 in size 6 clothes. It looks cheap & nasty. I also offered that while many would opt for a nasty weekend with her for previous visual merits, we should wonder why she can't hold on to anyone longer than 5 minutes and we arrive back at her being a bit of a nightmare, past her prime, starting to fatten & fester like over ripe fruit. SImple.

Oh. OK. Gotcha. I was taking about music.

P

Archived