Gibson Brands Forums

Different pick up systems

Motherofpearl

I just put a K&k in my SJ. I like it because it sounds good... Not quacky... And is minimally invasive. I would put it in again for that reason.

However, if I am being honest, the Baggs M1A is one of the best pickups I have heard in an acoustic. Mellow, less brash, but still fairly realistic acoustic reproduction. I still have it in my son's epiphone AJ500R.

The downside is I just don't like having it in the sound hole all the time, and I was afraid that putting it in and out over and over again would mar the top.

The Anthem always impresses me as a great pickup, although I've never owned a guitar with one. I really like Baggs stuff generally, the IBeam as well always sounds good to me, and likewise the K&Ks are pretty impressive.

I usually gig either with a '30s Gibson L-00 or a '40s Epiphone archtop - the L-00 has an undersaddle pickup without a brand on it but sounds ok, no worse than anything else I can think to put in there so I've left it in, and the Epi has a Fishman passive pickup in it which started life installed in a ready made floating bridge, but I ended up removing the elements and installing them in a replica of the top part of the rather more elegant Epi bridge. I always use a Headway preamp/DI box for gigs - saves that sinking feeling when the sound guy walks up to you with a Behringer stage box at sound checks!

EA I too had the fishman in a guitar I sold it was great. By running to the Di what does that offer? Just curious because it's already an active system? More punch?

I have an LRBaggs venue here aswell.

Sal I agree the k&k is nice but it isn't suited for playing out in a band seems to lack the power of an active pup.

I too love the anthem I think it's probably the best lr baggs pup there is. You get both the mic and piezo.

By running to the Di what does that offer?

With a good DI you can turn the gain up to eleven and rip off the knob ! No wait, that's a Tele thru a Fender Tweed...

I'd not feel right letting this thread go without putting in a plug for either of the Trance Audio Amulet systems, they're just top-shelf. Used to have a Highlander UST that I played in a Martin with a trio of acoustic players, That might make my list - third might be the Lyric, does pretty well solo in the 45, but nothing, so far, has equaled the Trance. Just my 2 cents. Happy hunting.

Dan I've had the pure voice and I agree. The install is the only complaint I have. They aren't sold up here in canada and my luthier 5 hours away has not installed one prior though I'm sure he would do a fine job. I should order one and try it myself. With the M1 or the new M80 I kinda like how you can take it out when not needed though. But sound is more important in reality.

Dan I've had the pure voice and I agree. The install is the only complaint I have. They aren't sold up here in canada and my luthier 5 hours away has not installed one prior though I'm sure he would do a fine job. I should order one and try it myself. With the M1 or the new M80 I kinda like how you can take it out when not needed though. But sound is more important in reality.

Would you really use one of these that was not a "hard" wired install? One person catches a toe on a chord, and that's all it would take to put a crunch in the sound hole. Or someone is standing on your cord when you stand up. I've had 2 sound hole Pus, both hard wired on the install - both the Fishman Rare Earth and Seymour Duncan Mag-Mic - both good pickups, but I never had the intention of swapping them into multiple guitars, so they were installed, not just inserted.

With the new install instructions on the Trance Audio website, its actually quite simple. I had one of my amulets detach somewhere on a bumpy road in Wyoming. Got ahold of the good folks at Trance (thanks Gary)

and they shipped me some install tape and one of their little vise thingamabobs and I reinstalled the escapee, let the tape cure overnight, and was up and running the next day. I don't play out much - but I did have a couple of barn gigs outside of Denver, which is a 3.5 hour one-way for me, up over a couple high mountain passes, and the pickup was splendid, Both sound systems I played thru were unspectacular house Pas, and this thing was so easy. http://www.tranceaudio.com/manuals/TranceTemplateInstall.pdf

Would you really use one of these that was not a "hard" wired install? One person catches a toe on a chord, and that's all it would take to put a crunch in the sound hole. Or someone is standing on your cord when you stand up. I've had 2 sound hole Pus, both hard wired on the install - both the Fishman Rare Earth and Seymour Duncan Mag-Mic - both good pickups, but I never had the intention of swapping them into multiple guitars, so they were installed, not just inserted.

Wow. I also had never though of that! The M1A in my son's Epi AJ500R is hard wired... But to be honest, after reading what you just wrote, I would be scared of nearly any pop-in soundhole pup now, especially gigging regularly, unless using it in a beater. Good point...

I recently bought a guild D-55 that came with the D-TAR Multi-source pickup - an under saddle and mic blended through a preamp. It has the most natural sounding amplified sound I've personally ever heard. I was so impressed with it that I bought one for my J-200, which had a plain old Fishman under saddle pickup - which I was never really pleased with. The installation was tricky - there was bracing in the way, but the tech who installed it used a dowel to offset the preamp slightly and it worked out perfectly. Now it sound like a J-200 plugged in, too. I also use a BBE Acoustimax pedal - it really adds presence after the fact. I am really pleased with my acoustic sound now!

What's your favorite? Right now I'm using an anthem in my Kopp the Imix in my D12. I'm curious about the M80 if any of you guys have tried it I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I have an M80 for my Original Jumbo. Some people disagree, but I don't think it is particularly "magnetic" or "electric" sounding, though it is on the warm side, especially when compared to piezos. I don't like under saddle pickups. You can EQ out the quack but you can't get back the dynamic range and they sound artifical to me. Top or body sensor piezos are better, more natural, but they still lack dynamic range and tend toward feedback. Dual systems seem to work best -- under saddle or body sensors with microphones. But I play in a full electric band and I just can't get the gain before feedback I need with a mic - internal or otherwise. The M-80 seems to be a nice compromise. It picks up the magnetic field from the strings and senses body vibrations from the same unit. Installation is minimal and it can pretty easily be removed from the soundhole if you don't like looking at it at home. And it sounds great to me - big, warm and dynamic...kida like a Gibson. The active system works great (though I'm not crazy about the location of the volume control, and is pre-equalized for a very good sound. Passive is even better. I run it into a programmable Graphic EQ pedal with four pre-sets you can do anything you like with - dial down the bass and make a jumbo sound like a small body, dial in some upper mids and make a Gibson cut through the mix like a Taylor...I just use two of them, one for my sound and a second that is identical with a 3db boost for solos.

P

I just put a K&k in my SJ. I like it because it sounds good... Not quacky... And is minimally invasive. I would put it in again for that reason.

However, if I am being honest, the Baggs M1A is one of the best pickups I have heard in an acoustic. Mellow, less brash, but still fairly realistic acoustic reproduction. I still have it in my son's epiphone AJ500R.

The downside is I just don't like having it in the sound hole all the time, and I was afraid that putting it in and out over and over again would mar the top.

Huh -- I've found the exact opposite with the M1A. I've never been able to get a sound out of it that isn't extremely mid-ranging and metallic sounding. I've been trying to sell mine.

To answer the OP's question: depends on the application. For straight acoustic, I'd probably go K&K Mini. For acoustic in full band, I like Fishman (Ellipse Blend or Aura).

my fav so far is the LR BAGGS Anthem through a Venue DI. just installed it my off brand D41. very warm when needed and can cut through when needed. i had the KK pure mini and Baggs Element in a few but the anthem is worth the $$ to me.

Archived