Gibson Brands Forums

Byrdland manufacturing in early 70's

pkorte

Hi

I have read that Gibson Byrdland was in production between 1955-1969, and was reintroduced next time 1977.

But I have seen Byrdland's from 1970, 1971, 1972 and 1974. These guitars does have 1969 specs, venetian cut, non volute neck and carved back (not laminate like 60's models).

Then you have 1977 model which has volute in the neck, for example.

Is this cap in the production years some misinformation? Or is there

some other explanation.

Don't know anything in particular but still remember having read an interview of Ted Nugent in the early 1980s where it went around the rare Florentine cut Byrdland guitars. He said that there were ever made 22 Byrdlands with a Florentine cutaway of which he owns 18.

Don't know anything in particular but still remember having read an interview of Ted Nugent in the early 1980s where it went around the rare Florentine cut Byrdland guitars. He said that there were ever made 22 Byrdlands with a Florentine cutaway of which he owns 18.

No. This is WAY off the mark. Maybe he was mis-quoted, or maybe Nugent just doesn't know what he's talking about, but Gibson made roughly 100 Byrdlands every year during the 1960's, while the florentine cutaway was a stock feature for most of that decade. Between 1960 and 1965 alone, A.R. Duchossoir estimates that 480 Byrdlands were shipped with florentine cutaways.

Tom Wheeler's book, "American Guitars" shipping totals page shows a few Byrdlands being shipped each year from 1955-1978 (date of book publication), with production peaking in 1969 (160), 1975 (206), and 1976 (208).

Thank you,

That was the answer to my question :) What do you know about the back side of the Byrdland? Orginally it was carved, then in 60's there was laminate back and 1969 onwards carved back again. I have seen also one 1969 Venetian with laminate. What is this story about carved and laminate back?

Archived