Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Gibson 60s J180 reissue

groovadelic

NGD incoming! I never thought Gibson would make an Everly Bros guitar with the period correct bridge, was even told by a dealer that Gibson doesn't make it because they don't have the original template. I guess the Japanese buyers have more leverage than the US dealers. Has anyone ever heard of a 60s reissue J180? There was a guy I was in contact with that was selling a reissue J180 for 10K and he would not even consider anything less!

Well I found it and it's coming home!

Will let you all know when it comes in - probably next week.

sub_11-3359815013_l.jpg

NGD incoming! I never thought Gibson would make an Everly Bros guitar with the period correct bridge, was even told by a dealer that Gibson doesn't make it because they don't have the original template. I guess the Japanese buyers have more leverage than the US dealers. Has anyone ever heard of a 60s reissue J180? There was a guy I was in contact with that was selling a reissue J180 for 10K and he would not even consider anything less!

sub_11-3359815013_l.jpg

Probably Japanese collectors like their stuff more historicaly accurate ?

I think that's a big bridge but it's a stunningly nice guitar .

congrats and enjoy when you have it

JC

sub_11-3359815013_l.jpg

Gibson Montana made a bunch of them. The guitar is not an Everly Bros guitar it is a J-180 Artist. It was a "Montana Special Of The Month" in November of 1993. The retail was $1,750.00.

They also issued the J-180 Artist in the International Series in 1993. The International Series retailed for $2,000.00.

They didn't lose the template. They have all the specs in a computer file.

Congrats on finding a great guitar.

Sorry if I've misunderstood, are you saying you've paid 10K for a 93 reissue?

No, not even close... a fifth of that! The guitar the guy was selling was a reissue that was custom built (back in the mid 2000s when Gibson took custom orders). I was going to offer him what he paid for it - which I knew since the store he bought it from still had the listing.

It is also not the 93 limited edition. That one did not have an adjustable bridge and had a gold plate on the back of the headstock. This was made recently - it has an orange label and a custom shop logo on the back of the headstock. Musicians friend/Music123 had a link a few years ago for a 60s Icon J180 reissue. It doesn't look like it ever hit stock inventory (much like the Dove of Peace - if any of you remember that). I'm thinking this is that guitar.

http://www.music123.com/guitars/gibson-icon-60s-j-180-custom-ebony-acoustic-guitar

I'm very interested to see what the orange label says and also contact Montana to get the details.

I agree with an above post. This is a guitar that I normally should not like but for whatever reason I do.

Unless this is a really exceptional guitar though, generally when dealing with Gibson 1960s "reissues" what you are getting is cosmetics. The heart of the guitar - the bracing is pretty much the standard scallop bracing Bozeman uses in all of their guitars and is not what you found in the original instruments.

We all have different buttons that get pushed.

Historically, I haven't been attracted to these because:

>Black is not my favorite color.

>The pickguards are..... kinda big.

>There is no direct string connection to the bridge plate.

>The full force of string tension is pulling on the bridge itself.

Perhaps the structural concerns are for naught,

but it's always worried me a bit on this model.

Regardless of my personal quibbles,

I love the small jumbo body shape!

Glad you found what you're looking for in this one.

It is unique, and will hopefully have a great sound.

Guitar came in today - wow was that fast! The guitar came in 3 days from Japan (Ishibashi Music).

First, the mystery items - it was built in 2009 based on the serial, label just says "J-180", standard black/blue interior case, all original paperwork intact. The bridge is factory original (had to check the bridge plate for holes to see if someone maybe stuck a NOS bridge on).

The sound - this was a big surprise. I thought it would sound like the Gibson J180 Billie Joe (which I owned right before this one) but less in all categories due to the pinless bridge with adj saddle. But this guitar is just as loud as my Hummingbird LTD VOS (definitely more volume than the BJA J180 I had). It's a canon with a lot of low end. If I close my eyes and play - I immediately think J200. That was not my observation of the BJA J180 - which had a softer attack and sweeter low end.

Well, go figure. I did buy it more for sentimental reasons over thinking it would give the 'Bird a run for its money. I guess you just never know!

Archived