Gibson Brands Forums

Are theJ-30's the same guitar as the Hummingbirds?

anzafrank

I have an 86 J-30 that sounds a whole lot like my old 70's Hummingbird and was wondering if they are about the same guitar minus the frills? It does seem that the J-30 has a bit less volume, but It's a different house, older ears etc., so I could be wrong, but the tone seems to be about the same. To me, back in the 70's the J-45's, J-50's, Hummingbirds, all sounded just about the same. Thanks,

Frank

I have an 86 J-30 that sounds a whole lot like my old 70's Hummingbird and was wondering if they are about the same guitar minus the frills? It does seem that the J-30 has a bit less volume, but It's a different house, older ears etc., so I could be wrong, but the tone seems to be about the same. To me, back in the 70's the J-45's, J-50's, Hummingbirds, all sounded just about the same. Thanks,

Frank

you are correct the J 30 was designed as a less expensive version of the hummmingbird .

JC

You're right; these are 'more or less' the same guitar.

-- square shoulders

-- dreadnought shape

-- 24.75 scale

-- mahogany back and sides

-- mahogany neck

For that matter, they were roughly the same as the square-shouldered SJs and CWs, and the original Sheryl Crow models too. Minus the bling.

Fred

Archived