Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

cjsinla

How exciting! Congratulations on your acquisition. Seems like Gibson does pay attention, at least some of the time. I wanted to add in a few questions.

First: how does it sound and play compared to your SG Original? They both have '57 and, according to the Gibson website, the 60's slim neck (which isn't really that slim on the modern models). Is there any variation at all? That's a major factor in keeping me from indiscriminately splurging.

Second: I don't know if it's just me but the photos I've been seeing of this model (not only your own but on Sweetwater and everywhere else) seem to harken back to the 70's. The color seems less cherry than your Original and more Walnut-y. Also something with the beveling looks more 70's style. Are my eyes playing tricks on me? Have you noticed anything like that? Maybe I'm mistaken. Either way, I'm easily drooling over this guitar. It's tough to look at photos knowing that I need to maintain discipline.

On my new one, the edge nearest to my elbow seems to be cut a little deeper, the edge is a little thinner. The horns look about the same as the Original but the pick guard fits a little better, flatter to the guitar. On the Original, the horn tapers slightly and there is a slight gap at the very edge of the guard. The finish is definitely less red and seems clearer, more like an older, faded cherry. The grain of the wood is more noticeable. The sound between the two is similar and they both seem to sound a little fuller than the SG61 I have (they all have 57's). I did lower the pickups a bit to make them brighter as they both sounded pretty boomy and roared more when I got them. They might have a little less sustain than with a stop-bar but the fullness and chimey-ness more than make up for any loss of sustain IMHO. I'm posting a pic of my 59 next to the new one for a color comparison. Both guitars photographed a little redder than they actually are. The neck on the new one feels a hair flatter than the Original but the width is probably the same.

11092389826_dee6e73e13_b.jpg

Thanks! [biggrin] I'm going up to my dealer's on "Black Friday," and will check them out!

I was told, this PM via e-mail, they have 6 in stock! So, if anyone else is looking,

to get one of these, you might give Lance, at E.M Shorts, a call? 1-800-835-3006.

They're good people, and have great prices, as well. They were told, this is a

"limited edition, of 300," so "Re-orders" probably won't happen. And NO, I don't

work for them...lol, just a Long Time, customer.

Cheers,

CB

Have you noticed that Gibson changed the prices on the web? They now have the dealer prices, not the MSRP on many models.

However, the sound of these guitars with the vibrato units on them seem to be a bit more chimey and jangly sounding to my ear than the SG's with the stop tailpieces. I really like the sound of them.

Can confirm this for the Lyra equipped Frank Zappa "Roxy" SG. I never found any stop tailpiece SG that sounds comparatively chimey and "airy" which should be due to the floating string suspension.

It's kinda "Cool" without the cover! In an "industrial, Mad Max" sort of way, huh? [biggrin]

Anyway, here's Mine! Just got back from Wichita, and E.M. Shorts! Another "Awesome"

SG! Damn! SG's are a Disease!! [scared][blush] lol [biggrin] Fun one, though! [thumbup][biggrin]

DSC_95401_zps10a2006f.jpg

(And, yes...I had a "bone nut" installed, as always! [wink])

CB

Links great. I figured you wouldn't be able to resist once you saw one and held it.

Links great. I figured you wouldn't be able to resist once you saw one and held it.

[biggrin] LOL, yeah...you were quite right! [tongue] I'm a sucker for a pretty face! [flapper]

I had 6 to choose from, as well. And, it wasn't easy! :unsure: But, in the end,

this one came home with, me. It felt the most "familiar," for some odd reason.

Neck, I suppose, mostly?

Cheers,

CB

[biggrin] LOL, yeah...you were quite right! [tongue] I'm a sucker for a pretty face! [flapper]

Neck, I suppose, mostly?

Cheers,

CB

Hey, CB, did your new Les Paul SG come with strings with colored ball ends?

Hey, CB, did your new Les Paul SG come with strings with colored ball ends?

I think, it came with Gibson Bright Wire 10's? They usually do. But, after my dealer

did the bone nut, and the set-up to my spec's (which they have memorized, by now...lol)

they put on D'Addario's (10-46) for me...so, yeah it (now) has colored ball/barrels. [biggrin]

CB

I think, it came with Gibson Bright Wire 10's? They usually do. But, after my dealer

did the bone nut, and the set-up to my spec's (which they have memorized, by now...lol)

they put on D'Addario's (10-46) for me...so, yeah it (now) has colored ball/barrels. [biggrin]

CB

Thanks.

Nice SGs, I like the re-worked trem. I think in theory and function it was always a better idea than the alternative vertical movement.

Looks pretty. [thumbup]

Yeah, seems to be just fine. In reality, I've never had a Gibson with a trem. I'm not used to the sound it makes. Played Strats for years and used them when I wanted trem action. This guitar is really pretty. I like the extra chrome. Same with the SG Original, extra chrome. I always associated that look with vintage guitars, so I'm happy either way.

D'Addario uses a colour code for indicating string gauges.

It's possible that Gibson put their new coated strings on this guitar. They put a small handout re: Cleartone Strings in the case. Does anyone know if these particular strings have colored ball ends?

• 4 weeks later...

Neck, I suppose, mostly?

Cheers,

CB

CB, I haven't heard anything from you about this SG for a while. How are you getting on with it?

CB, I haven't heard anything from you about this SG for a while. How are you getting on with it?

It's Great! I've been very fortunate, this past year, to find (and manage to purchase) ALL my SG's!

Sorry, it took awhile to answer your post, cjsinla. My computer was in the shop, for over a week,

getting "de-bugged!" [cursing][scared][crying] I just got it back, this evening!

But, all's well, now! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

It's Great! I've been very fortunate, this past year, to find (and manage to purchase) ALL my SG's!

Sorry, it took awhile to answer your post, cjsinla. My computer was in the shop, for over a week,

getting "de-bugged!" [cursing][scared][crying] I just got it back, this evening!

But, all's well, now! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Glad to hear it. I've played mine at gig/rehearsal volume and it's impressive. Very punchy and chimey. It definitely has it's own sound, similar to the SG Original, but very different from any of my other Gibsons. These two have a sound like I've never heard. Nothing but fun playing them.

Glad to hear it. I've played mine at gig/rehearsal volume and it's impressive. Very punchy and chimey. It definitely has it's own sound, similar to the SG Original, but very different from any of my other Gibsons. These two have a sound like I've never heard. Nothing but fun playing them.

They're Awesome!! [thumbup][wub][love]=D>

CB

Archived