Gibson Brands Forums

The Wonders Of Tinnitus / Hearing Loss

Murph

For the noobs, I gigged bars for some 35+ years, Rock, Southern Rock, Country Rock, Country and then Classic Rock.

Fender Super Reverb, Peavey Deuce, Marshall JCM900 1/2 stack, Fender Prosonic, Mesa Blue Angel, and had other guitarist on stage with large rigs as well. Not to mention years of playing in living room "circles" putting together projects, etc, etc......

Over the years I seem to have lost certain frequencies in different ears, so at times if I hear a certain cell phone ring, buzzer, etc., I will think it's on my right (when it is on the left) because the left ear doesn't hear that frequency as well. Stereo television can be a real treat at times when movies have a lot of action going on.

I've been drug free for many years, although that wasn't always the case ( [wink] ) but can always find wonder and amazement in just normal daily activities now just trying to figure out what certain sounds ARE, and WHERE they are......

Actually I hear pretty well considering, it's just certain highs that are effected and I thought I'd make fun of it with you all.

Wait, what's ringing.......?

I have high frequency hearing loss and it got so bad, it was affecting me socially really bad, can't understand conversations in noisy environments, like a restaurant. I tried in the canal hearing aids from Costco, great price! But, can't control any part of it whatsoever, it's set by technician and that's it. Heard about Lyric device, which is 100% invisible, inserted deep into ear canal, can't be seen and you wear for about a month without taking it in/out. Much better. I have a bit of discomfort from it being in there but it's probably not a deal killer. I like that I can adjust volume. A definite improvement in my hearing. Will cost about $300/month but I'll pay that for improved hearing.

Well, as we move towards this Thanksgiving holiday, there's one more thing I can be thankful for. No hearing loss here, yet, but I'm very protective of hearing; carrying earplugs almost always when I'm out, and don't appreciate when someone slams/drops something instead of lowering it, just to make a big manly noise.

Here's hoping that those of you dealing with hearing loss can soon find relief as the technology for helping with this improves in leaps & bounds.

I find i have to really concentrate to hear someone talking to me in a crowded room like a bar or restaurant. I find myself agitated in such surroundings , not clostrophobic but I'm not comfortable .

Never investigated what it was , just put it down to being a little deaf in one ear or something.

I find i have to really concentrate to hear someone talking to me in a crowded room like a bar or restaurant. I find myself agitated in such surroundings , not clostrophobic but I'm not comfortable .

Never investigated what it was , just put it down to being a little deaf in one ear or something.

That is high frequency loss and it can turn a fellow into a hermit, communication can become next to impossible.

Guys, I played rock and roll gigs for many years in my younger days in high school and college. Ear plugs? Pleeeeeze. We were young and invincible. Today I have lost high frequency hearing, and I am always asking my kids and family at the dinner table to repeat themselves while I look at their lips. I have two boys, ages 20 and 18, and they bother perform. You all just reminded me that I need to talk to them about plugs. Thank you!

For me I have always guarded my hearing over the years. Music never over 90db or so for very long. No power tools w/o hear protection. I've had great high freq. hearing (still over 15K hz last checked, use to be over 20k hz when under 40). Was having a ton of joint & muscle aches & pains all over (head to toe). GP Dr. thought it was possible Fibromyalgia and prescribed me Cymbalta. Against my better judgement I took that for 3 weeks, I think, and then started having a ringing in my ears. I did the proper phase off the Cymbalta, as I didn't feel any better. The ringing never went away, about 3 yrs maybe now. Not really loud but it's there. Doesn't affect my hearing things but it's a drag. Sometimes it almost all goes away.

Liked it when things were dead quiet better but it doesn't drive me fritzy like it started off with. After about 3 weeks I just got some use to it.

I'm worried about the massive hearing loss in the young-in's these days!! They used ear buds with devices that sealed and easily exceed Jimi Hendrix rock concerts as their daily listening habit. I've talked with some and they think the Dr's. will just implant something in their head & they'll hear better than normal. It really is pretty hard to sell 30 somethings really good sounding stereo or surround sound gear cuz they just can't hear that well. Sad, really sad.

Aster

Ever worked in noisy industrial plants or that? typically this is referred to as 'industrial deafness' in the UK... My old-boy has it... My old dear is actually deaf in one ear and has less than 20% hearing in the other... so most of our conversations are held IN BIG SHOUTY VOICES... NO, I DON't WANT A CUPPA TEA... NO, I HAD A BISCUIT EARLIER ON... YES, I'M WARM ENOUGH, IT'S BOILING IN HERE.... and so on...

The old dear has a digital hearing aid, few grand worth, still have to scream at her....... Don't envy you if it's the same thing.

My missus was diagnosed for hearing loss at her last check-up. Never played in bars, but played violin years. 90 dcbs unplugged.

Btw she suggested I take one of the home diagnostics. Uh-oh. Looks like there was a reason for the muddled conversations and sensitivity to loud sharp sounds.

Me too. Loss not due to years of constant and loud music performing. Attended concerts, etc. and other normal things. But also due to a few years of high pitched Dremmel tools without thinking about ear plugs. Now I nag my kids. They would dismiss it as the ravings of an old fool - but for the fact they know I'm always asking them to repeat themselves. My loss is supposedly more middle range - conversational voice levels. I have trouble with multiple conversations and noisy rooms. Even with TV on. Good news is, if I don't have my Costco thingy in my ear, I can ignore my wife and no longer get in trouble.

Seriously - I think this variability in our individual hearing 'receptors' explains why some of us like one guitar sound over another. Also explains why Costco doesn't have a Taylor booth next to the hearing aid department. Keep on Truckin' guys.

(I find I can hear most family and friends who enunciate clearly and talk with a normal level of volume. Those who mumble under their breath - well, I assume they don't want me to know what they're saying anyway!)

Ever worked in noisy industrial plants or that? typically this is referred to as 'industrial deafness' in the UK... My old-boy has it... My old dear is actually deaf in one ear and has less than 20% hearing in the other... so most of our conversations are held IN BIG SHOUTY VOICES... NO, I DON't WANT A CUPPA TEA... NO, I HAD A BISCUIT EARLIER ON... YES, I'M WARM ENOUGH, IT'S BOILING IN HERE.... and so on...

The old dear has a digital hearing aid, few grand worth, still have to scream at her....... Don't envy you if it's the same thing.

Its handy sometimes 'sorry dear , I didnt hear you'

Its handy sometimes 'sorry dear , I didnt hear you'

Same deal here although it is worse in one ear than the other which I guess was a result of where I stood in relation to the amps. We did not know nothing about no ear plugs or anything. But I always have to have something on in the room when I sleep at night - generally a fan or a radio cuz if I don't the ringing in my ears when it is quiet will drive me nuts.

Although I never used ear plugs during rehearsal and on stage, my audiometry results always tell that my ears seem to be less than half my age for both sensitivity and frequency range.

I have to say that I always use ear protection at work, and in my profession an audiometry is prescribed every second year by the occupation cooperative society.

I didn't like alcohol or other drugs my whole life, and I also beware of using acetylic salicylic acid (Aspirin), Diclofenac-Na (Voltaren), and use Ibuprofen very seldom. These substances cause hearing loss as well as gastric ulcer and type II diabetes.

Although I never used ear plugs during rehearsal and on stage, my audiometry results always tell that my ears seem to be less than half my age for both sensitivity and frequency range.

I have to say that I always use ear protection at work, and in my profession an audiometry is prescribed every second year by the occupation cooperative society.

I didn't like alcohol or other drugs my whole life, and I also beware of using acetylic salicylic acid (Aspirin), Diclofenac-Na (Voltaren), and use Ibuprofen very seldom. These substances cause hearing loss as well as gastric ulcer and type II diabetes.

capmaster, an old German saying, according to my old German grandmother - "Too soon old, too late smart."

yea, the last thing on our minds was hearing loss aye?

But then again, if you think it's a high risk for hearing loss for us,, talk to a few general contractors, or large equipment operators. I know about 6 of these types... None of them can hear worth a damn, and only one is a musician, they all have tinnitus really bad.

I have tinnitus and had to put down the electric guitar entirely, re: 50 yrs of Super and Twin amps didn't do it though. I was fine until a year ago. Seems my body said "nuff" to a maintainence prescription I had taken for 10 plus years. Boom! Pretty sick since last year. Now, I am left with a constant hissing in both ears and an excruciating sensitivity to any volume. I can't really even play my acoustic guitars much or find my singing voice at all. No fun. I keep my fingers crossed that things will continue to improve little by little. Fifty plus years of guitars just collecting dust since last November. Thick!

Ahh, the joys of hearing loss. Thirty-five years of heavy equipment will do it for ya. I'm on my second set of the

best that money can buy ($9000.00) digital hearing aids and while they do help they're a long, long way from

the dog hearing (compliment) guys like EA seem to have.

Hearing aids do help me stay closer to pitch when singing (and I do need all the help I can get) but I'm afraid I couldn't

detect any difference when I put a bone saddle and pins on my J-45. The antique pins with red dots do look nice though.

My latest set of aids have a tinnitus program that helps mask the constant high pitched whistle , There's a wireless remote control

that hangs on a chord around my neck and is worn under my shirt. It has large buttons so I can switch programs and volume

just by touch. However, after just four months the remote has died and is back at the shop.

These aids are good for ordering a meal at the mall food fair but are crap at a concert or open mic.

They just give me a wall of sound so I've been switching back to my old ones when I go out to the country music clubs around Brisbane.

Heavy equipment these days is much quieter, but the young guys all seem to be wearing ear buds or have the stereo cranked so

loud you can barely hear them when they talk on the two-way radio. Industrial deafness rates probably won't change.

I've been suffering from acute Tinnitus for 3 years now. Probably from too much loud music. To the point where i have to wear plugs if I play electric. No hearing loss yet though. I hear a constant loud high pitch sound in my head. Drove me crazy at first. I would like to hear from anyone who shares my ailment. Many musicians suffer from Tinnitus, Clapton, Collins, etc.

For the noobs, I gigged bars for some 35+ years, Rock, Southern Rock, Country Rock, Country and then Classic Rock.

Fender Super Reverb, Peavey Deuce, Marshall JCM900 1/2 stack, Fender Prosonic, Mesa Blue Angel, and had other guitarist on stage with large rigs as well. Not to mention years of playing in living room "circles" putting together projects, etc, etc......

Over the years I seem to have lost certain frequencies in different ears, so at times if I hear a certain cell phone ring, buzzer, etc., I will think it's on my right (when it is on the left) because the left ear doesn't hear that frequency as well. Stereo television can be a real treat at times when movies have a lot of action going on.

I've been drug free for many years, although that wasn't always the case ( [wink] ) but can always find wonder and amazement in just normal daily activities now just trying to figure out what certain sounds ARE, and WHERE they are......

Actually I hear pretty well considering, it's just certain highs that are effected and I thought I'd make fun of it with you all.

Wait, what's ringing.......?

Yep, got it too. Mine was the result from the use of firearms. Getting worse every day, almost to the point where I can barely hear someone having a normal conversation with me. There's a place in the Denver area that advertises the treatment for it but I've heard word that there's not much you can actually do to treat it, only mask the sound with white noise.

Hallgroper, hope your health problems get better this year.

Archived