Gibson Brands Forums

Adding A Neck Pickup To A Jr.

Rocky4

I think this has been covered before, but I'm wondering what it would take to put a P90 in the neck position of my Jr. It would be as less invasive as I could, keeping the single tone and volume controls and putting the switch in the area of the controls. Has anybody here done this before?

I did a thread on this a few months back :)

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/104804-the-john-lennon-les-paul-junior-project/

What you want to do is you would need to make a pickup template for the P90 and then use a router with a template bit on it to make the hole. Then route a line from that pickup to just before where the controls are so its all under the pickguard, then just drill a hole from that to the controls. Then obviously add the hole for the pickup selector switch..

All I will say is that in the control cavity there is almost NO spare room. Like this

DSC02990_zps56e5a036.jpg

The more I think about it, the more it looks out of my skill level. I'm concerned about weakening the neck/body joint and making a routing mistake that would ruin a cool guitar. I'd like to use a stock Special pick guard, but I don't think it would fit around the dog ear.

The more I think about it, the more it looks out of my skill level. I'm concerned about weakening the neck/body joint and making a routing mistake that would ruin a cool guitar. I'd like to use a stock Special pick guard, but I don't think it would fit around the dog ear.

Find some scrap wood and test it first.. that's what I did :)

DSC03034_zpsd0c4323e.jpg

When I did it I didn't hit the neck joint (after all you do get Specials with 2 pups in from the factory so I don't thing its and issue).... Cutting the pickguard to match the pickup shape was one of the more easy jobs I had to do ... :)

Id say your main issue here is fitting the pickup switch.. Really youd need to make the cavity bigger and probably make your own cover to fit (making the cover would be the easy bit :)).

Archived