Gibson Brands Forums

The Official 2014 Gibson page

Rabs

Did you guys see this

They are calling it New model year..

http://www2.gibson.com/Gibson-USA-2014.aspx

Check out that purple Futura and the colour of that Classic. And it seems that they are adding Graphteck nuts as standard now.... No Les Paul Recording yet.. And no details... Just pictures :-k

ohh and a LP Standard with Min E Tune... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Improved: Exceeding even our own uncompromising ideals

Innovative PLEK technology provides precise fingerboard setup on all 2014 models

Non-slip, easy grip knobs

Redesigned strap button for on-stage security

One-piece fingerboards enhance sustain

Fly over the fingerboard with undercut fret over binding

Cryogenically treated frets are the longest lasting frets ever made

Four new pickups speak from a sweet whisper to a snarling scream

Brilliant new colors and finishes—from satin-smooth to ultra-glossy

Graph Tech nut and proprietary strings provide superior playability

New Model Year serial numbering system enhances collectability

Next-gen automatic tuning delivers pitch perfection

Hello!

To be honest: not impressed at all.

I am curious about the Recording "II", but skeptical.

Cheers... Bence

Well I think that they have addressed a few things here that everyone moans about with Gibsons..

People always talk about strap button replacements as the standard ones they use are known to sometimes be unreliable on stage... Then they have added new colours that people always talk about with Gibson... And the new treated frets (which may or may not be nonsense) but if is real is a nice improvement.

So as much as the range they are offering is just another slight change on the same themes, they have at least addressed a few issues that ive seen many complaints about over the years. If those improvements are actually improvements and not just marketing nonsense then I may be interested.. As always I need to see and play one in real life to make any real judgements. So we will see :)

Well I think that they have addressed a few things here that everyone moans about with Gibsons..

People always talk about strap button replacements as the standard ones they use are known to sometimes be unreliable on stage... Then they have added new colours that people always talk about with Gibson... And the new treated frets (which may or may not be nonsense) but if is real is a nice improvement.

So as much as the range they are offering is just another slight change on the same themes, they have at least addressed a few issues that ive seen many complaints about over the years. If those improvements are actually improvements and not just marketing nonsense then I may be interested.. As always I need to see and play one in real life to make any real judgements. So we will see :)

Hello Rabs!

I understand why they got rid of the nibs. Even though, I find them beautiful, but it involves an expensive, labour-consuming process, and they get lots of negative feedback from the customers.

I don't get why the Classic has been changed this way.

I can't follow the model range designation. LPJ, LPM, and the MM - confusing! Les Paul Peace? What makes it different? The surprising (shocking) name?

Cheers... Bence

I'm afraid that Gibson is slowing getting away from what made their original guitars incredible in their day by introducing SOO many different models that to be frank IMHO at least they are starting to get gimicky..............jim in Maine

The scariest thing is that they are calling this New Model Year.. How many can we expect lol 500?

I understand why they got rid of the nibs. Even though, I find them beautiful, but it involves an expensive, labour-consuming process, and they get lots of negative feedback from the customers.

In which case they should buy PRS or Fender.

The nibs are one of the things that make the higher end Gibbos unique and marvellous. As you say Bence, they are "beautiful".

I just can't understand why people don't like them - just makes the neck feel sooooooooooooo smooth!

love the color and hum/p90 combo on the futura ............not sold on the mini tune thing though.

Also interested in the melody maker as I'd like an affordable one with two p90's.

Some I like, some not so much. VERY glad to see some colors other than black/white/wine/burst

NHTom

I don't know guys.. I think I'm glad I have most of my brothel purchased already and am very pleased with my collection. I don't look to be adding much if anything at all especially of new Gibsons. There's still a couple vintage Gibsons I'd like to get my hands on before I die but quite honestly there isn't much of the newer stuff I'm interested in. And as an older player I really have no interest at all in guitars that tune themselves. I don't think Gibson is trying to appeal to players of my age group anyway [biggrin]

I just wish they'd reissue some badass Goldtone Amps [thumbup]

• 1 month later...

Hello,….. I haven't been able to find out how to read the new 2014 Gibson serial numbering system. Can anyone direct me in the right direction? I checked in the Support Section. No new listings there. Thanks guys. [thumbup]

They are trying to appeal to a different generation of players.......especially since the economy has taken a dump. I mean really, how many gibson lovers buy a new nice standard or custom every year??? Most guys have one main guitar and maybea back up but not many people who play can afford a room full of gibsons. Although the 2014 firebird is kicking it......it is about the only one I think is awesome looking up there except for the lp standards. I kind of like the tribute series they offer but it seems to me the teal green looking traditional is a take back to the lite series gibson offered back in 1987 or so. Anyways I too am not a fan of auto tuning guitars as a previous poster stated. Tim

Hello,….. I haven't been able to find out how to read the new 2014 Gibson serial numbering system. Can anyone direct me in the right direction? I checked in the Support Section. No new listings there. Thanks guys. [thumbup]

I called customer svc. The 14 is obviously the year for the 120th Anniv. All the rest of the numbers just count up. No special coding like the 2005 - 2013 models use. [thumbup]

Archived