Gibson Brands Forums

String gauge for Epi

guitarman53

Sorry for the novice questions.... I have an Epiphone Les Paul Model built in 2003. Currently I'm using a set of DRs 9~42. Would I be "safe" to try D'Addarios EXL110+ (10.5~48)?... meaning, can this guitar "handle" the heavier gauge? Also, where can I find more descriptive information on the guitar I have such as model number, etc. Perhaps a product brochure of the period of my instrument. I've used the guitar dater to determine place of manufacturer. If needed I can post pictures, but I thought there might be a comprehensive website to search. So far, I've had no luck. Thanks.

You shouldn't have any issues using 10.5-48 gauge strings. They come with 10-46 gauge from the factory, but they can handle heavier. I typically use 11's on mine(even used 12's in the past).

Email us at service@gibson.com with the serial number and some pictures, and we'll be happy to help find more info on your guitar.

Yep. I have to echo what Jon S said.

I use 10 - 46 on all my guitars. I have used 9-42 before, but didn't like how they felt.

I have used 11's in the past and the tone is a bit crisper, but I find 11's a bit too heavy for bending; but that could be just my hand strength.

I do a lot of set ups, and most players are using 10's.

i tend to use 11-58 on sg and it copes really well ive even used the 12-56 both ernie ball and they are great if you want to bend though with this sort of gauge you will need to work on your hand strength took me a while but when you get it you can huge bends

Shouldn't be a problem at all. Never had any trouble playing .012" - .054" strings on all kinds of electric guitars. Appropriate truss rod adjustment is the key.

A .010" set usually pulls about 23%, a .011" about 49%, and a .012" set about 78% stronger than a .009" if all the sets are equally balanced. (Light top - heavy bottom etc. sets are different here.) So careful handling of the headstock becomes more important when using heavier gauges. Especially during transport the danger of snapping it off may increase significantly. Most dangerous is dropping the case with the guitar in it on the guitar top's side. Luckily none of my guitars ever suffered any serious harm.

Archived