Gibson Brands Forums

Pix of my new SG Kirk Douglas & my original '69 SG

MeZadude

Here are a few pix of my new Kirk Douglas SG & my 1969 SG which I bought new back in high school.

DSC03232%20(640x480).jpg

DSC03234%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DSC03235%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DSC03237%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DSC03238%20%28640x480%29.jpg

DSC03242%20%28640x480%29.jpg

Used the Captain Kirk SG at a couple of gigs now. What a sweet guitar! It's got a really great tone to it; in all positions. And is really easy to play. I still typically have a default Carvin guitar as the main axe at gigs, but I found I used the SG about half the gig last night. I didn't want to put it down. Definitely warming up to it. Stays in tune very nicely too.

It doesn't compare at all to the original white '69 SG. Their necks fell very different. The white neck is very thin and light. Also, with an ebony board if feels different. Plus the tone of the new Kirk Douglas is much better than the white; especially in the middle position. I also love the coil-splitters on the new SG. With all the tone selections, it's really proving to be a contender in my guitar arsenal. The broad tonal palette of the Kirk D. is wonderful!

MeZa 8)

• 1 month later...

I had a '66 SG Custom, that was (basically) identical, to your white one.

Sold it, like a fool, in the early '70's, when I stopped playing. Kicked

myself, ever since. But, for 30+ years it didn't really matter, as I was

not playing guitar, at all. But, once I started again, around the turn of

the century, I decided if they ever made one, similar to my old one, I get

one again. The KD is SO close (aside from color, and it's specific wiring)

that I absolutely HAD to have one! [thumbup]

6585da99-90b2-45ad-9c74-be536fd320bd_zpsc2662798.jpg

DSC_93401_zps3f5cf743.jpg

DSC_93371_zps43f651c8.jpg

DSC_93331_zpsb4143123.jpg

7c32e39e-7d12-46b0-a323-3f5487f528be_zps3ee0e9ae.jpg

CB

So can you tell us a little more comparitivley on how the two differ in feel, weight and neck size? I think your old white one is just flat out bad *** but please clip that extra strings off the headstock please!!! It is like looking at a hot chic with a bad hair do!! LOL

Yes, the Kirk Douglas "Captain" SG is just TOO nice for making it a limited model only... <_<

All depends on the term 'limited'. I spoke to Gibson and they confirmed it was not made in limited numbers, only for a limited time. I've seen comments on the net claiming their Douglas SG is number 20 of 255 made. No such numbering system exists for this model, the serial number fits in with the standard pattern.

I have found a disparity in build quality and construction (hence my earlier post above). I have seen some with three and others with one piece bodies, however, three piece is pushing it on a translucent premium priced model. Construction issues seem to be limited to poor wiring and electronics, although I have seen two with glue blobs all around the neck join that have been painted over.

Well, Ebony is/was certainly "traditional" for "Custom" SG/Les Paul's!

And some fancier ES and Jazz Box models, as well.

But, Rosewood, and a number of other woods, work just as well. If

you're feeling the fingerboard, when you fret, you're fretting too

hard, I'm told. And, that seems to be true, as often as not. There

seems more of a difference in "tone" (more "spank" with Ebony, and

a bit "warmer" tone, with Rosewood, etc.), than actual playing

characteristics.

Ebony boards do look nice, especially on Black, or White guitars.

But, practical use, except on "fretless wonders," or actual fretless

(bass) guitars for example, seems more suspect. IMHO, as always.

And, of course, they ALL need to be properly "worn in" so they're

uniformly slick, and "comfy!"

CB

Are you in the UK ? If so, I don't think there are any left.

I paid just over £1k for mine, most dealers were selling them for £1149.

Yup sort of in Gibraltar, so I have access to the UK and Spanish market.

Most sites seem to have them on pre-order.

Is it a ltd run ?

Yup sort of in Gibraltar, so I have access to the UK and Spanish market.

Most sites seem to have them on pre-order.

Is it a ltd run ?

Not a limited run as in numbers, but limited to a manufacturing period. So for example if they made the guitar for three months, then its how ever many they made in that time. There is no unique number system to identify that specific guitar, just the current 9 digit serial number Gibson use.

I firmly believe only a handful were imported and sold in the UK, I kept an eye on all the main Gibson dealers and only found 3 in stock since October 2013. However, Dawson's appear to have one in their Liverpool branch.

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/gibson-captain-kirk-douglas-roots-sg-limited-edition-electric-guitar?gclid=CMjD1sHAiLwCFYrjwgodCHMASw

Edit

Richtone have one,great guys to deal with as well. http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/products/gibson_captain_kirk_douglas_roots_sg_electric_guitar.asp

Archived