Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio Neck Size

desmondho

Hey everyone,

I'm new here and this is my first post. I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of neck profile the Epiphone Les Paul Studio has. I have one, and I can't seem to find the neck description anywhere on the web. The neck dimensions, neck profile, anything would help.

Also, I have pretty small hands, and to me the neck is rather chunky, and it's pretty hard when I'm trying to play Hendrix kinda stuff. So I was just wondering what you guys thought about shaving down the guitar neck. Would it affect my tone, cause any structural damage to my guitar, or cause any durability issues? Suggestions like how much I should shave, shaving to a certain profile, that kind of stuff. All suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

P.S. My guitar is in Worn Cherry. So if I shave it down, how do I get the same colour painted on my neck again?

Hello Desmond and welcome here.

Neck profiles affect the resonance structure significantly, in particular that of solidbody guitars. I wouldn't shave it down but rather get used to it or go with another guitar.

To my experience, one can get acquainted with very different neck profiles. I was surprised how playable the 50s rounded and late 50s necks are. I have short and wide fingers and a short reach, too. So there's nothing like the best neck for me, and everything is somehow compromised. I think the best neck dimensions of a steelstring guitar for me were those of a classical catgut/nylon string guitar. [rolleyes]

Some people wonder how I manage to play guitar anyhow, and when showing a certain fingering to a bandmate, he isn't able to see which of my fingers is fretting which string or strings, no matter if I show him on a Gibson, Fender, wide, fat, slim or whatever neck... [biggrin]

The very importance I think is how it sounds. [smile]

Hello Desmond and welcome here.

Neck profiles affect the resonance structure significantly, in particular that of solidbody guitars. I wouldn't shave it down but rather get used to it or go with another guitar.

To my experience, one can get acquainted with very different neck profiles. I was surprised how playable the 50s rounded and late 50s necks are. I have short and wide fingers and a short reach, too. So there's nothing like the best neck for me, and everything is somehow compromised. I think the best neck dimensions of a steelstring guitar for me were those of a classical catgut/nylon string guitar. [rolleyes]

Some people wonder how I manage to play guitar anyhow, and when showing a certain fingering to a bandmate, he isn't able to see which of my fingers is fretting which string or strings, no matter if I show him on a Gibson, Fender, wide, fat, slim or whatever neck... [biggrin]

The very importance I think is how it sounds. [smile]

Thanks for the quick reply!

I have REALLY small hands, like smaller than some girls' hands actually (embarrassing I know, but true). I love my Les Paul, but sometimes I wish it could be easier to play. I have problems doing thumb-overs, because of my short fingers. I have become used to the neck, but obviously if something could be done to it to improve my playing, I would definitely do it.

I just came back from a guitar store, where I tried the Deluxe Player Strat. The neck is really comfy for me, but it's not a Les Paul. :)

I have problems doing thumb-overs, because of my short fingers. I have become used to the neck, but obviously if something could be done to it to improve my playing, I would definitely do it.

That's understood. I know it isn't easy to either accept or overcome one's own personal limitations. There are a few situations when I prefer a thumbover since it's easier than using four fingers, e. g. D major open with an added F# on the E6th, but in most cases I try to avoid them.

My short reach already has been a problem in my childhood and youth when my Mother made me learning piano... [unsure]

That's understood. I know it isn't easy to either accept or overcome one's own personal limitations. There are a few situations when I prefer a thumbover since it's easier than using four fingers, e. g. D major open with an added F# on the E6th, but in most cases I try to avoid them.

My short reach already has been a problem in my childhood and youth when my Mother made me learning piano... [unsure]

It's pretty hard avoiding the thumb-overs when playing Hendrix. There are ways around it, but the thumb-over is still the best way to play stuff like that. But anyway, thanks for the help man!

Sounds like you have more of a 50's neck. I would not shave the neck down unless you are really good at woodworking and refinishing. Easier to sell it and get a different guitar as capmaster says. You want a 60's profile neck. You should try several out in a store and not rely on online descriptions since they are notoriously inaccurate.

Sounds like you have more of a 50's neck. I would not shave the neck down unless you are really good at woodworking and refinishing. Easier to sell it and get a different guitar as capmaster says. You want a 60's profile neck. You should try several out in a store and not rely on online descriptions since they are notoriously inaccurate.

Hey there, thanks for the reply.

I just went to a store and the salesman told me that all Epiphone Les Pauls have the same neck profile, except the tribute versions. I don't know how true that is though. I really can't seem to find anything online that states the exact profile of my LP Studio. Epiphone doesn't provide that in their descriptions of guitars, and they really should. Oh well.

Anyway, I wasn't going to sand it myself haha. I was planning to send it to a luthier.

Hey there, thanks for the reply.

I just went to a store and the salesman told me that all Epiphone Les Pauls have the same neck profile, except the tribute versions. I don't know how true that is though. I really can't seem to find anything online that states the exact profile of my LP Studio. Epiphone doesn't provide that in their descriptions of guitars, and they really should. Oh well.

Anyway, I wasn't going to sand it myself haha. I was planning to send it to a luthier.

I own an Epi LP 1960 Tribute Plus, and so I can confirm that this model indeed has a 60s neck, hence the name. [thumbup]

The salesman told you BS

Most Epis do have a '60s slim taper' type neck nowadays

a famous example of Epi having a 50s neckshape would be the Joe Bonamassa sign LP

some Dots do have thicker necks, too

Even most are described as '60s slim-taper' they do vary from guitar to guitar,

'cause they are made by different employees in different countries and different factories...

Epi lists the 'neck-type' on most of their guitars on their website

and the Epiwiki list it, too

I figured he was giving me BS because he didn't know the real answer haha. I've looked everywhere, can't seem to find the exact neck profile of my guitar still. Checked EpiWiki and the official site too, got nothing.

Archived