Gibson Brands Forums

Does the J-45 TV have AJ-type bracing?

Phelonious Ponk

Specs on the website say "advanced vintage style red spruce x bracing," and I've heard (read, actually) people say they have AJ bracing. I ask, because my 2003 OJ is spec'd with Adirondack top, AJ bracing. But it doesn't sound like a TV (bright, loud) so much as it sounds like a loud standard (warm, loud).

Maybe it's just the TV I played. I've said this here before. I played it and compared it to a Standard and while they were both great guitars, I'm not so sure I wouldn't have chosen the standard. The TV was lighter and louder, but all the extra volume seemed to be in the high end, giving it a pretty jangly sound. The Standard really sounded more like classic Gibson to me. At home, the 03 OJ has that Gibson sound, it's just bigger, more dynamic.

Of course that TV may sound a lot more like my OJ in 10 years...

P

It's my understanding that the TVs have the advanced (AJ) bracing. BUT that is only one of dozens of elements that contribute to the tone, so, all thngs being equal, don't expect just that element to make the difference. And, by the way, with Gibson all things are never equal. Thus the fact that a certain standard sounds better to you than a given TV is perfectly understandable. Best guitar buying wisdom: trust your ears ..... you'll be the one listening to it the most.

It's my understanding that the TVs have the advanced (AJ) bracing. BUT that is only one of dozens of elements that contribute to the tone, so, all thngs being equal, don't expect just that element to make the difference. And, by the way, with Gibson all things are never equal. Thus the fact that a certain standard sounds better to you than a given TV is perfectly understandable. Best guitar buying wisdom: trust your ears ..... you'll be the one listening to it the most.

Yeah, I get all that. The 03 OJ is very much like a TV - Adirondack top, AJ bracing, light build, big V neck, vintage frets, bone nut and saddle, Mad Rose board and bridge. Haven't a clue what kind of glue was used, but I seriously doubt that matters. I wish I could play a bunch of TVs and see if my impression of that one is consistent at all. Great sounding guitar. Loud and forward. But the balance was a bit toward the treble relative to the normal Gibson sound.

P

FYI PP, the 2013 J35 also has advanced X bracing. Some people have reported them as sounding more trebly than J45 Standards too. The one I tried sounded good, but different from my Woody Guthrie, certainly less thumpy in the bass, and less growly in the mids. Still very rounded though, and the mids were pronounced even if they didn't do the growl thing. Still strong, but softer, I found. I didn't find the trebles especially dominant. Not had the pleasure of meeting a 45TV in person. In video comparisons, I find that my ears gravitate to the Standards as well, but most seem to prefer the TVs. Perhaps your ears are like mine.

Archived