Gibson Brands Forums

no nibs for 2014 Gibsons!

marvar

Guest Farnsbarns

Having inspected the pics I think Gibson meant... Undercut, fret-over binding.

I'm not sure but I believe the nibs are staying and they have listed them as a benefit with some very bad grammar, causing confusion.

Here is how I see it. If this is what Gibson is doing for 2014 it is already a done deal. You can complain about it, but it isn't going to change. Do you just suddenly think everyone in the world will stop buying Gibson's because of this? Not likely.

Not complaining, just making a statement- nibs are not a deal breaker for me-and, I have all the Gibson I'll ever need or want.

But, I do think that the nibs are a sign of craftsmanship, and elegance, and I sure all the counterfeiters around the world are now rejoicing, 'cause no-nibs used to be a sure sign that a guitar isn't a real Gibson. In the future, it will be even easier to counterfeit a guitar.

IMO Gibson has kinda played into their hands.

I always saw the word Nibs as just the rounded off edges of the frets..

You have plastic binding nibs and you have metal fret nibs.. Even though I think that most people think of them as the binding nibs only.

To be honest as long as its smooth I don't really care if there are plastic bits on the end or not or what they call it :)

I have two with and two without binding.. I NEVER pick up a guitar without nibs and think... I really miss those nibs..

Ive now said the words nibs too many times and its lost all meaning :blink:

IMHO make 5 or so different models of each of there guitars from the let's say entry level affordable like say around $700 to Pro level like about $2500. So there is a price level that everyone can be comfortable with. It seems silly to me to make 40+ different Les Pauls, almost 20 different SG's ect. Leave the Signature and the way mega ultra expensive models to the Custom shop and if you are a collector, or must have an exact copy of Paul Kossoff's LP or Gary Moore's or Jimmy Page's then order it throught the Custom Shop. To me it seems like it is mostly the same guitar with different amounts of fancy work (like binding and inlays) and just different pickups and neck thicknesses. Make it so each model has routs for p-90's or hums or what ever combination someone wants. Just like car manufacturers. Ford doesn't make 40 different Mustangs every year, but there are different options you can get. When it comes down to it a guitar is a body, neck and fretboard, pickups, electronics(caps, pots, jack, wire and switch), bridge and tailstop,knobs, truss rod, nut, tuners, frets and strings. Did I forget anything vital?

Cause we all need that allusive Pro-Studio-Classic-Traditional-Standard-Limited-Anniversary-Reissue-Tribute-Original-Deluxe-Baritone-Special-Doubleneck-Recording-Collectors Choice-VOS LP

Yes, and with all the given colour options including bridges, tailpieces, pickup covers, machine heads, knobs, washers, tips, pickup rings, pickguards... [biggrin]

... at once, and in one guitar, of course [lol]

IMHO make 5 or so different models of each of there guitars from the let's say entry level affordable like say around $700 to Pro level like about $2500. So there is a price level that everyone can be comfortable with. It seems silly to me to make 40+ different Les Pauls, almost 20 different SG's ect. Leave the Signature and the way mega ultra expensive models to the Custom shop and if you are a collector, or must have an exact copy of Paul Kossoff's LP or Gary Moore's or Jimmy Page's then order it throught the Custom Shop. To me it seems like it is mostly the same guitar with different amounts of fancy work (like binding and inlays) and just different pickups and neck thicknesses. Make it so each model has routs for p-90's or hums or what ever combination someone wants. Just like car manufacturers. Ford doesn't make 40 different Mustangs every year, but there are different options you can get. When it comes down to it a guitar is a body, neck and fretboard, pickups, electronics(caps, pots, jack, wire and switch), bridge and tailstop,knobs, truss rod, nut, tuners, frets and strings. Did I forget anything vital?

Cause we all need that allusive Pro-Studio-Classic-Traditional-Standard-Limited-Anniversary-Reissue-Tribute-Original-Deluxe-Baritone-Special-Doubleneck-Recording-Collectors Choice-VOS LP

Amen! Lol [biggrin]

I was never convinced that the nibs were of value to one's playing. Nor that neck binding is of similar value.

One can drop $10,000 and up on a proper classical guitar and - neither nibs nor neck binding. Oddly no high end classical guitarist I've heard of has complained that the lack affected their playing.

Yeah, I get it that it's been a Gibson "thing" for a long time. OTOH, other than that, is it something that adversely affects playing or is it a cosmetic?

m

Three things...

First, I really love the new Gibson models. It's WAY PAST time Gibson changed things up a bit.

Second, I have owned many Gibson's over the years, over a dozen. I've changed nobs on many of them. Changed strap buttons on all of them and and not one of them has ever had "fret nubs".

Third, I'm really enjoying watching everyones head explode over these latest changes. [thumbup]

What I really want is an all maple Les Paul Custom. Maybe in green. There's always 2015. [thumbup]

Three things...

First, I really love the new Gibson models. It's WAY PAST time Gibson changed things up a bit.

Second, I have owned many Gibson's over the years, over a dozen. I've changed nobs on many of them. Changed strap buttons on all of them and and not one of them has ever had "fret nubs".

Third, I'm really enjoying watching everyones head explode over these latest changes. [thumbup]

What I really want is an all maple Les Paul Custom. Maybe in green. There's always 2015. [thumbup]

My only real issue so far is what they will now call a Classic is nothing but... But hey its just a name its doesn't make any difference really (its just a bit odd). :) If you like a guitar get it, if you don't like it don't get it.. Kinda simple really.

The rest of it I have no real issues with.. I think the new LP Melody Maker is interesting and I don't even mind the missing tone pots on the "new" Classic and the Sig models, if you want the tone pot get a different model. And I like some of the new colours and the fact they have addresses issues like the strap buttons that is something a lot of people change.

I just want to see more double cuts damn it!! YOU LISTENING GIBSON!!! :P :)

I was never convinced that the nibs were of value to one's playing. Nor that neck binding is of similar value.

One can drop $10,000 and up on a proper classical guitar and - neither nibs nor neck binding. Oddly no high end classical guitarist I've heard of has complained that the lack affected their playing.

Yeah, I get it that it's been a Gibson "thing" for a long time. OTOH, other than that, is it something that adversely affects playing or is it a cosmetic?

m

I come from a classical guitar background, and one difference with classical players is that we play with the thumb behind the neck rather than thumb over the neck. I'm not sure how sliding one's hand down the neck using the thumb over the neck technique may feel with or without nibs.

Regarding nibs, I have no concern or preference either way.

JM...

<grin>

Your comment reminds me of Christopher Parkening's comment on my playing back in the '70s in my only two semi-formal guitar classes. It was to the effect that my right hand was doing fine, but my left looked as if I'd done too much Bluegrass. I don't know about the right hand, but he certainly was correct about my left. I had been working on making my thumb do proper classical technique for ages, but even some folkie/jazz etc. fingerpicking seems to work easier with the thumb fretting the bass E. For me it does, anyway.

(He was being kind, of course...)

Also, one of the (relatively) newer and somewhat narrower necked 'nylon string AE for steel string pickers' guitars makes using the thumb a bit easier than on a true classical or flamenco guitar.

Anyway, that's how it hits me.

Frankly the way I play most of what I play, I actually think I'm better off without nibs. I'm neutral on neck binding if it's pretty much "seamless" as though it weren't there.

m

i'm in the camp that doesn't care one way or other about:

nibs......as long as the fret ends are nicely finished

knobs....i'll change 'em if I don't like 'em

buttons.....everything I own ends up w/straplocks post-haste anyhow

now, MORE AFFORDABLE Gibsons......that's my cup of tea and a big +10 !!

Archived