Gibson Brands Forums

no nibs for 2014 Gibsons!

marvar

Every time Gibson makes a change like this I always say to myself "What would Les Paul say about it?" I don't think he'd be happy with this decision. Yeah it really doesn't change playing at all, but it's one thing that made Gibson distinctive. Sorry, but I don't like this decision.

JM...

<grin>

Your comment reminds me of Christopher Parkening's comment on my playing back in the '70s in my only two semi-formal guitar classes. It was to the effect that my right hand was doing fine, but my left looked as if I'd done too much Bluegrass. I don't know about the right hand, but he certainly was correct about my left. I had been working on making my thumb do proper classical technique for ages, but even some folkie/jazz etc. fingerpicking seems to work easier with the thumb fretting the bass E. For me it does, anyway.

(He was being kind, of course...)

Also, one of the (relatively) newer and somewhat narrower necked 'nylon string AE for steel string pickers' guitars makes using the thumb a bit easier than on a true classical or flamenco guitar.

Anyway, that's how it hits me.

Frankly the way I play most of what I play, I actually think I'm better off without nibs. I'm neutral on neck binding if it's pretty much "seamless" as though it weren't there.

m

Like anything else, I'm sure the thumb over the neck technique has it's uses. It's just something that I never had a use for, and my classical guitar teacher likely would have broken my left hand if I did it in front of him. Lots of rock style players seem to play with the thumb over the neck with the guitar in a very low position. Barre chords have to be real fun with a guitar that's in a very low position.

I read on another forum a thread on the best gibson defects and shoddy nib and and filing work was mentioned numerous times. i know its just the odd few that slip through quality control, but getting rid of the nibs will just increase their overall quality in my opinion because you wont get any shoddy nibs that slip though

JM...

If'n I'm playing Bach, I'm using a traditional classical left hand - as far as I can tell anyway.

I'm generally holding the guitar more or less as would a flamenco or bluegrass flattop player, even standing. I'm not at all one to have the instrument at my knees...

On the other hand, on occasion the thumb on the bass E and even occasionally bass A allows the fingers to do various slides and such that would be far more difficult with a traditional classical thumb positioning.

m

As Matbard said two posts ago the Trad - at least - still has nibs.

Here's a snap from the Wildwood demo clip;

2014nibs_zps361c6c86.jpg

I don't know about some of the other models. The Classic seems to be nib-less but I haven't checked the Standard.

P.

1385836478[/url]' post='1455862']

IMHO make 5 or so different models of each of there guitars from the let's say entry level affordable like say around $700 to Pro level like about $2500. So there is a price level that everyone can be comfortable with. It seems silly to me to make 40+ different Les Pauls, almost 20 different SG's ect. Leave the Signature and the way mega ultra expensive models to the Custom shop and if you are a collector, or must have an exact copy of Paul Kossoff's LP or Gary Moore's or Jimmy Page's then order it throught the Custom Shop. To me it seems like it is mostly the same guitar with different amounts of fancy work (like binding and inlays) and just different pickups and neck thicknesses. Make it so each model has routs for p-90's or hums or what ever combination someone wants. Just like car manufacturers. Ford doesn't make 40 different Mustangs every year, but there are different options you can get. When it comes down to it a guitar is a body, neck and fretboard, pickups, electronics(caps, pots, jack, wire and switch), bridge and tailstop,knobs, truss rod, nut, tuners, frets and strings. Did I forget anything vital?

Cause we all need that allusive Pro-Studio-Classic-Traditional-Standard-Limited-Anniversary-Reissue-Tribute-Original-Deluxe-Baritone-Special-Doubleneck-Recording-Collectors Choice-VOS LP

Really like your idea, though I suspect that the different models they launch are a vital part of their branding strategy. You own more than a Gibson, they want you to identify as a Custom/Traditional/Standard/Studio owner!

Archived