Gibson Brands Forums

Apparently we are all idiots

Rabs

According to this guy.. for thinking anything different to what he thinks...

His info seems totally wrong on this...

He says that they come from the factory with 3 saddles one way and 3 another... I have NEVER seen that, they all face the same way on all my guitars as bought from new..

And he doesn't seem to know the difference between and ABR1 bridge and a modern one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRkzXmqU7Vk

This guy is a malaka.

First off, I don't take all of the strings off when I change them and my guitars are fine.

Second, that roller bridge he shows is the Wilkinson roller bridge. It is *not* a direct drop in. The post spacings are just enough off that you have to adjust the holes. At least I did on my SG Special. It also has a lot of moving parts. In my mind it is over engineered. The one that is a direct drop in and easy to use is the Schaller roller bridge. If that Wilkinson is so great, why didn't he show a guitar with that on it?

This guy (Scott Grove), is all over youtube. My opinion is he is in love with himself and likes to watch himself in his typically 15 minute long videos as he berates anyone that wouldn't see things the way he is laying it down.

This is my favorite bridge/tailpiece design. I do take off all my strings and clean when I change strings. I use a polishing cloth under the stop bar to hold it in place and keep it from falling out, and also to keep the strings from contacting the body in the event one gets away from me and I've never had a problem. I also do not have any trouble with string breakage and I bend a lot and keep my strings on for months without change.

I watched about 20 seconds of this guys crap in the video and was getting nausious and had to turn it off [tongue] .

I've seen this guys videos in the past and he makes me laugh. Typical message board know-it-all. I've wondered where he posts and what his handle is.

I'm not sure if there's any evidence about string breakage with a classic tune-o-matic or a roller bridge but i have been thinking about getting a roller bridge for my LP because I play rhythm and tend to strum pretty hard and I will occasionally break the E,B,&G strings.

His info seems totally wrong on this...

He says that they come from the factory with 3 saddles one way and 3 another... I have NEVER seen that, they all face the same way on all my guitars as bought from new..

And he doesn't seem to know the difference between and ABR1 bridge and a modern one..

Nashville bridges usually have them facing the same way, however ABR-1 bridges are usually 3/3 or 4/2 as far as the direction. This is for intonation purposes since the ABR doesn't have as much adjustment range as the Nashville. I agree with him that it does not really matter as long as the guitar intonates, but he really beats that horse long after it's dead. Isn't this the guy who did the "sustain" video too?

dead-horse.gif

Aliens came to my house and only changed 3 of my saddles around on all 4 of my Gibson's

ME TOO !, they must have hit my house as soon as they left yours. theyve been busy.

i leave one string on, lossened, when i change the strings on my les pauls. and i clean the bridge/saddles and fretboard everytime. I also bend the crap out of my strings, HARD, and i've broken 1 string on my les pauls. my old strat, is bad for popping strings.

i first encountered him 'reviewing' a Melody Maker RI on YT. I replied (nicely) that I dug Melody Makers in a big way. He told me I should kill myself and my parents probably hate me and would be glad if I killed myself. He further speculated that a Melody Maker is the only guitar I could ever afford and so on.

nice chap.

check out his video where his denim & diamonds 80s country band loses on Star Search. Mullet, western shirt. Or my personal fav, his Irritable Bowel Syndrome version of House of the Rising Sun.

I forgive him for everything.

Guest Farnsbarns

Ya'll in here griping like a bunch of old ladies. lol

Merry Christmas!

Scott Grove

Now I really am laughing out loud. Have you seen one of your videos?

The last time I broke a string was in '74 on a '69 Telecaster. I've had a few "pop" on my steel, but thats to be expected when you stretch and release thousands of times between string changes. As for bridge saddles, I found all my Gibsons have them facing the same way. My Epiphone LP has a 4/2 split

Ok.... I guess I'll watch the turd.

43 seconds in I can see that Mr Grove is very misinformed. Let us count the ways..

1. The T.O.M. does not cause string breakage unless it has a bur on it. I can't remember the last time I broke a string.

2. Pull the string aside and you'll notice that the place where the string sits isn't sharp at all. It's flat.

3. You should never take all the strings off your guitar at the same time for simple string changes. Taking all the tension off the neck and truss rod and then loading it all back up might never cause a problem for you but think about it. There's a hell of a lot of stress going on there.

4. There's no need to obsess over cleaning your fretboard. Does it look ok? Then leave it alone.

5. If you're too stupid to figure out how to remove the strings from a T.O.M. Stop Bar equipped guitar without mashing the guitar up then maybe guitar isn't really for you.

6. TOM saddles do not come with three facing one direction and three facing the other. Guitar techs turn them around sometimes to make finer intonation adjustments and there may be a few that were adjusted this way from the factory. Unless you're really having trouble getting your guitar to play in tune it isn't really something to worry about.

7AB6E76A-6FDD-4FC4-A6AB-9C9326DDB273_zpsxav6tkhh.jpg

Well.... that's 6 screw-ups in the the first 5 min. I can't really be bothered to watch anymore.

I did like his demo of the Gibson G3 bass.

When he's not calling everyone retarded idiots he's an enjoyable enough guy to watch.

That was beautiful man, you don't say a lot on here but when you do Im impressed.

I think that's a lot of all of our problems when we post on the internet and we have to learn the hard way as we drive people away.

Saying someone is stupid for the way they like it or do it is a downer.

We all do it to some point, some greater than others and it turns people off.

Bottom line we are all trying to find friends with like interests on these places.

Hearing our mates or mothers say uh huh when we talk pickup theory is not fulfilling enough lol.

My favorite lines are "you draw more flies with honey than you do vinegar" and "keep your words soft and sweet, never know which ones you have to eat".

I forget those all the time.

I'm with you on this one Donny.

I watched one of his video, actually stumbled on it by mistake, and could not watch the whole thing.

He is so full of him self its not even funny. Very difficult to watch. If there is a "God" of guitars, he's not it.

That was beautiful man, you don't say a lot on here but when you do Im impressed.

I think that's a lot of all of our problems when we post on the internet and we have to learn the hard way as we drive people away.

Bottom line we are all trying to find friends with like interests on these places.

Hearing our mates or mothers say uh huh when we talk pickup theory is not fulfilling enough lol.

My favorite lines are "you draw more flies with honey than you do vinegar" and "keep your words soft and sweet, never know which ones you have to eat".

I gotta work on that too.....

Searcy as usual, hit it on the head on all counts!

Thanks man. Good words there.

By the way, I came by your house the other day and you pretended not to be there. What gives?

E8ECB0B0-5B10-4CBC-9308-EA69D7E97394_zps6ezbjz9f.jpg

• 2 months later...

The guy rubs me the wrong way too... I think there's just something "off" about him like he's got a neurosis that makes him more than a little odd sometimes...

To the point; I've always been under the impression that the saddles on that type of bridge are specifically reversable so in issues where intonation requires simply a touch further positioning of the saddle beyond the maxed-out point with it turned the opposite way, you have the option to turn it around and get the slant/pitch to be positioned further in the opposite direction potentially...

I've had hard-tail bridges on my guitars come all differently; adjustment screws to the front, adjustment screws to the back, saddles all slanted the same way, sadles slanted 3 one way 3 the opopsite, etc. etc.

I honestly thought after fighting with the intonation on my Vintage VS6 that I figured-out that if the saddle is slanted to the front and you have to go all the way back with it and the intonation needs just a hair more to be right you can pull the adjustment screw and swap the saddle so it slants the opposite way giving you a little further outside the maxed-out position with it facing the other way...

I hope I'm explaining this so it can be understood what I'm trying to get at...

But I truly thought it was so you can simply get another bit of adjustment in either direction as needed...

Archived