Gibson Brands Forums

Reverb Pedals

saturn

I've never considered a reverb pedal before since my amps have always had it built in. Now my only real amp (besides the THR10 practice amp) is the Roland Blues Cube which has no reverb. I am kinda tired of that "dry" sound and might want to use this amp for some upcoming gigs.

I was a little surprised at some of the prices on the reverb pedals I've checked out. For some reason I was expecting them to be lower price than other effects, but that's not the case unless they are the "off" brands.

The TC Hall of Fame is what I am leaning toward so far. Anyone have experience with digital reverb that can offer suggestions?

The Strymon Blue Sky may be the best one, but I haven't owned it myself. However, I have owned the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail and it did a decent job. I tested it via my 1969 Princeton w/o reverb compared to my 1968 Princeton with reverb and it was quite close.

Another thought... use a delay with a tight setting to add the depth instead of a reverb pedal - then you have more options at your disposal.

Another thought... use a delay with a tight setting to add the depth instead of a reverb pedal - then you have more options at your disposal.

That's what I use..I just prefer the overall sound much better....like everything else in the music scene it all comes down to personal taste.

That is a good idea with the delay pedal. I would just have to mess with the settings for those times when I want actual delay or echo. :-k

I use my boss DD-3 like that. I mainly use it for short delay and reverb sounds

That is a good idea with the delay pedal. I would just have to mess with the settings for those times when I want actual delay or echo. :-k

That's what I generally use delay for anyway as I don't like things too wet (don't get to say that often). [flapper]

For actual spring - outside of an RI Fender reverb tank the best I've found is the VanAmps Sole-Mate

For digital - Strymon Bluesky, Strymon Big Sky (those warped head modes with nonlinear settings are dreeaaaamy), Dr. Scientist Reverberator

The TC HoF is pretty decent and has the bonus of the toneprint editor

I own and really like the EHX Holy Grail Plus - although the regular Holy Grail sounds great too.

Also, I like the verbs in my Eventide SPACE, but I mainly use it for ambient FX than reverb. It's kind of pricy though and the Holy Grail sounds great at a fraction of the price of the Eventide. There is also the PGS Edition of the Hard Wired reverb called the "Supernatural" which sounds killer from the videos I have seen and would have gotten that if the Eventide hadn't found it's way to me. Also as mentioned, the TC Electronic Hall of Fame sounds good too and they just released a "micro" version.

I've never considered a reverb pedal before since my amps have always had it built in. Now my only real amp (besides the THR10 practice amp) is the Roland Blues Cube which has no reverb. I am kinda tired of that "dry" sound and might want to use this amp for some upcoming gigs.

I was a little surprised at some of the prices on the reverb pedals I've checked out. For some reason I was expecting them to be lower price than other effects, but that's not the case unless they are the "off" brands.

The TC Hall of Fame is what I am leaning toward so far. Anyone have experience with digital reverb that can offer suggestions?

Behringer DR600 Digital Reverb is a real no-frills option ... under fifty bucks cdn. I don't have any real issues using this pedal, cheap wise it's plastic and the control knobs don't have a real click point. the battery is under the pedal push part. It's stereo outputs/inputs and the reverb is not cheap sounding, it's not classic but it does the job where my amp doesn't have reverb. the plastic casing of the behringer pedals reduces cost I guess, looks cheap you'd think but that can also be a plus where unconnected 9v power ends in your snake can come in contact with metal. It's sturdy, dropped it on hard wood and no issues. price wise I think it is a good starter to really get to know a 'reverb pedal' and the different uses for the 'reverb' effect before you go and drop a hundred or more on a good one! I'm happy with behringer effects (have a few: digital reverb, multifx, dynamics compressor dc9 (metal case and can be hissy at high volume) and a gdi21 vtone (which IS crap, btw; it is too hissy)that I won't use seriously. I entered pedal market cheaply at first with behringer effects to get a feel for the type of effects that I would use. I use reverb, pitchshift, tremolo, delay, phaser, chorus, and compressor and now that I am comfortable with the effects that I use I would go out and purchase more expensive brands of these effects. I didn't want to go and buy a two hundred dollar flanger that I get home and hate it and never use it! I wouldn't go with the behringer hell babe optical wah because it is plastic crap ... in the wah wah case I did get a Dunlop wylde wah from a buddy and taped a piece of cardboard under the rear of the pedal to limit the sweep.

The Strymon Blue Sky may be the best one, but I haven't owned it myself. However, I have owned the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail and it did a decent job. I tested it via my 1969 Princeton w/o reverb compared to my 1968 Princeton with reverb and it was quite close.

I recently heard a recording a guy did with the Strymon. Very tasty. Hope you have a fat wallet :)

Archived