Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson min-etune system

livemusic

Anyone tried this? Is this available on any manufactured Acoustic guitar or do you buy it as after-market only? I have no idea how good it works but it appeals to me for gigging cuz I use alternate tunings sometimes and minimizing dead time is a good thing. It's hard for me to talk and tune at same time, lol.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Min-ETune.aspx

Here is after-market for J45...

http://store.tronical-components.com/tronicaltune-type-b/?guitartype=J45%%28except%for%%C2%B442%Legend%29

As far as I know they are still only available as a retrofit other than on electrics.

Doubt I will ever buy such a system - heck, I still use a tuning fork. But I have never found tuning a guitar that much of hassle. I will probably just stay with the batteries not included crowd.

I am surprised though I have not seen an acoustic with the Buzz Feiten tuning system. I have had it on a Suhr electric and it does work. Only downside is having to buy one of those expensive Peterson strobe tuners.

If it works as well as it claims and if it's as accurate on week3 as it is claimed to be with brand new strings then the gigging guitarist who uses a few tunings on a night could probably see the benefit. I myself would probably have a think about it at least. Not something I'd stick on a prized acoustic, but for my two giggers that take a bit of abuse then I might see the sense in it. Still looks a bit cumbersome to win the majority over, but I'm not a hater of the idea.

They had a Les Paul at Russo Gibson day that had that system on it, only the battery went dead so that was that. This one had a rechargeable battery, so it had to be plugged in. I guess if you had three hours of stories, that would work [biggrin]

Rich

Took me years to come round to the idea of using a tuner, let alone this new act of witchcraftery!

Actually a sales rep from the UK distributor demoed it for me the other week. Incredibly clever, seemed to work smoothly and accurately, and didn't make the guitar headstock heavy to the extent that I thought it would - I was quite enchanted by it. But I found it phenomenally ugly to look at and I don't think I could live with it from an aesthetic point of view, so I'll have to live with the occasional between numbers tweak and a spare guitar if I'm detuning. Great concept though.

According to the rep there is long list of guitar models, electric and acoustic, that are compatible without modding the instrument and they keep adding to the list.

Archived