Gibson Brands Forums

Different models of LP's

J.MacQuarrie

I am interested in picking up a Les Paul in a few short weeks but I am a little confused on the models, Traditional, Standard, Pro, Tribute.....you get the picture. Can someone break these down for me or guide me to a site that I can compare side by side? Thanks in advance

Mac

I am interested in picking up a Les Paul in a few short weeks but I am a little confused on the models, Traditional, Standard, Pro, Tribute.....you get the picture. Can someone break these down for me or guide me to a site that I can compare side by side? Thanks in advance

Mac

You've come to the right place but I'm afraid you're gonna have to simply do your homework...and ask a lot of questions. For example, check out this LP Buyers Guide from MF.

http://www.musicians...Guide/m710112#9

Lots of info...not sure it's gonna help you decide.

So many Pauls, so little time....

However...you can't go wrong with a Studio (or 50/60/70's Tribute)....especially from the used market...CL or ebay.

You've come to the right place but I'm afraid you're gonna have to simply do your homework...and ask a lot of questions. For example, check out this LP Buyers Guide from MF.

http://www.musicians...Guide/m710112#9

Lots of info...not sure it's gonna help you decide.

So many Pauls, so little time....

However...you can't go wrong with a Studio (or 50/60/70's Tribute)....especially from the used market...CL or ebay.

Thanks Lazarus. I will do some more research and get it all sorted. Thanks again for the help

Let us know what you're thinking after you do a little research. And let us know your price range and if you're considering used as well. You'll probably still have some questions and may have a few models in mind. We like to help people spend their money (wisely, of course). :rolleyes:

Ok so here is what I've got so far. A 2012 maybe a 2013 Standard Premium Plus top AAA Honeyburst that is "plek'd" brand new for $2399 and some negotiating. There is also a new Standard with an AA Desert Burst top that doesn't appear to be "plek'd" they will bring the price down to $2399 as well. The Honey Burst doesn't have a pick guard but the Desert Burst does so I'm not sure what that means if anything. Not sure what "plek'd" really means either. I've checked around for some used but haven't found any I like yet. Does this sound worth the retail price or should I keep looking? I'm really in no hurry just have the opportunity to get one.

Ok so here is what I've got so far. A 2012 maybe a 2013 Standard Premium Plus top AAA Honeyburst that is "plek'd" brand new for $2399 and some negotiating. There is also a new Standard with an AA Desert Burst top that doesn't appear to be "plek'd" they will bring the price down to $2399 as well. The Honey Burst doesn't have a pick guard but the Desert Burst does so I'm not sure what that means if anything. Not sure what "plek'd" really means either. I've checked around for some used but haven't found any I like yet. Does this sound worth the retail price or should I keep looking? I'm really in no hurry just have the opportunity to get one.

All Standard 2012 and 2013 should be PLEK'd stock. The PLEK process is about precise fret dressing while keeping the same width and profile of the fret wire crown along the entire fretboard. So the intonation is not affected by the fret dressing, and fret buzz is minimized. Additionally, they cut the nuts with the PLEK machine, and this ensures minimum fingering force and supports proper intonation when fretting at the lowest numbered frets.

I had two warranty repairs of un-plek'd Gibson USA guitars I recently bought. Both were in need of a new nut, and Thomann grooved them with their PLEK machine. As a result, the related SG Supra and 2011 L6S play at the lowest frets like my Les Paul guitars which came PLEK'd stock, a 2011 Standard Quilt and a 2012 Standard Premium Plus. I am not sure but think that both my Custom Shop Les Paul guitars came PLEK'd, too - at least they play that way. By the way, they usually charge EUR 198 for PLEKking at Thomann. One of those machines costs several hundred thousands EUR.

Another advantage of the Standards is the compound fretboard radius. This means that the width of the fretboard curvature increases as the string spacing grows from the nut to the bridge. This makes chord fretting easier and prevents choking of notes when you bend the strings excessively. The PLEK process allows for a very precise slope of the fretboard and fret radiuses - remember that the wire of each fret has a radius of its own.

In contrary to all other Gibson USA and several Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul guitars which are weight relieved, the Traditional 2013 has a massive body.

There are three weight relieving (WR) processes, traditional WR, chambering, and modern WR. Some Custom Shop guitars feature a fourth one, the Class 5 WR. Among the weight relieved, there are several models with different switching options, too.

But I think I should go to bed now, and perhaps continue today in the evening...

As Capmaster indicated, Gibson has been using "PLEK" equipment to set up their fretboards for a few years now, so they should all have been set up using it. You can google or check Youtube for demos of Gibson (and other manufacturers) using it.

As for the two you are asking about, from a price standpoint, I think the Premium Plus is regularly priced in the $2999 area (US) and the AA Standard about $400 less. The difference of no pickguard on the Premium Plus is so they can show off the AAA Top. Eiter are great guitars. I suggest you play them both to decide and do a little more research to know what the MSRP is and also make sure you are getting a similar markdown on the Standard as for the Premium Plus. Maybe take a look at the Sweetwater or other sites and see where they are pricing similar models. Finally, most big retailers are clearing out the 2013s at discount pricing right now so see if the place you're dealing with will price match (or buy from Sweetwater, Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, AMS or someone else).

Archived