Gibson Brands Forums

my new LP un-tuneing?

LM-LP

I got a new LP classic for Christmas. ""Santa"" got it a GC in Raleigh, the employee said that they only get like 2 or 3 of the LP Classic cherry sunburst and the only one they had was the one on the wall that people can play. its been getting really out of tune horribly. Like for enstance i play in the band at my local church we practice the songs before everybody gets there then it sits there on the stand for maybe 45 minutes then i start to play the songs and it sounds horrible because it is out of tune! and it was perfectlly in tune when i left for the 45 min. Is it because of it being new or what? i didn't think a well made guitar like that would get out of tune that bad that quickly?

Do all the strings go out of tune or is it just one or two of them? It's probably one of two things, if not both. The nut slots for the G, B & E strings tends to bind. It's a Gibson thing that happens to almost all of their guitars. Yeah, we know all the arguments believe me so there's no use in going there. What most of us do is lubricate the nut slots so the string slides easily and that totally eliminates the problem for most. You can use pencil graphite, which is my method of choice, or big bends nut sauce or a meriad of other things but try the pencil graphite thing first for a cheap easy fix. I re-apply it after every string change and never ever have a problem.

Did you put on new strings after you purchased it? If not you may have noticed black marks on your finger tips after playing the same guitar that everybody and their brother played while it hung on the wall. Yeach. New string will do wonders but make sure to streach them out or it will go out of tune constantly until they settle in.

Hope that helps -

Do all the strings go out of tune or is it just one or two of them? It's probably one of two things' date=' if not both. The nut slots for the G, B & E strings tends to bind. It's a Gibson thing that happens to almost all of their guitars. Yeah, we know all the arguments believe me so there's no use in going there. What most of us do is lubricate the nut slots so the string slides easily and that totally eliminates the problem for most. You can use pencil graphite, which is my method of choice, or big bends nut sauce or a meriad of other things but try the pencil graphite thing first for a cheap easy fix. I re-apply it after every string change and never ever have a problem.

Did you put on new strings after you purchased it? If not you may have noticed black marks on your finger tips after playing the same guitar that everybody and their brother played while it hung on the wall. Yeach. New string will do wonders but make sure to streach them out or it will go out of tune constantly until they settle in.

Hope that helps -

[/quote']

its usually both E's the B and mostly the G so i guess ur right ill try it

...It's probably one of two things' date=' if not both...

[/quote']

You know it would be really handy to have that info when you buy a guitar!

I actually had similar problems when I first got my Epi and lubrication solved that (thanks to the guy at the shop).

As well as changing the strings you might want to get yourself a swipe or string cleaner as it should extend the life of the strings... am I just being too patronising now? Sorry if I am.

Archived