Gibson Brands Forums

Merle Travis - "Sixteen Tons"

Searcy

• 1 month later...

I think that regardless of one's preferred style or genre, the opportunity literally to watch a lot of pickers from the past 60+ years is something we really take too much for granted.

At my age I'm more likely perhaps to do so, but I think even watching Segovia or a top flamenco picker has much to offer even to a rock "single string" picker if they're looking for physical circumstances and geometries preferred by folks who made a real mark on guitar playing. Ditto the jazz guys. The ability to watch the hands of pickers on "Youtube" and such is something I would likely have made a deal with the devil to have had in '63...

m

Cool.. cheers for posting..

Im happy watching anyone with talent no matter what genre [thumbup]

And yes I agree.. Youtube is one of the most amazing uses of the internet.. If the net was JUST youtube and nothing else it would still be worth having.. I love watching this and the old blues stuff you find.. Its just unlimited treasure beyond imagination [thumbup]

Rabs...

Yeah... I remember as a kid I'd do whatever I could to watch the guys in the dorm play - something like 60 guitars among 100 kids, and that doesn't count mandos, banjos, etc.

Ever hear of the actor Peter Coyote? Same small college although he was a senior and I a freshman... doggone decent picker for the era and it's a surprise I didn't fry his fingers and D28 with my eyeballs more than a few times.

Alas, soon afterward the folk/blues thing disappeared and the campus began to levitate with wacky tobacky and I'm glad I was gone early, in ways.

m

Rabs...

Yeah... I remember as a kid I'd do whatever I could to watch the guys in the dorm play - something like 60 guitars among 100 kids, and that doesn't count mandos, banjos, etc.

Ever hear of the actor Peter Coyote? Same small college although he was a senior and I a freshman... doggone decent picker for the era and it's a surprise I didn't fry his fingers and D28 with my eyeballs more than a few times.

Alas, soon afterward the folk/blues thing disappeared and the campus began to levitate with wacky tobacky and I'm glad I was gone early, in ways.

m

You mean the hippies took over? :)

And no not heard of Peter before (but that's probably not surprising since im all the way over here :))

But isn't that the beauty of the internet.. I can now go look him up and instantly learn something new [thumbup]

Rabs...

Most of his acting has been some years ago; he did a lot of narration until a cupla years ago on stuff like "the history channel."

Actually there weren't such a thing so much as "hippies" - but there was a bit of switch from "semi-beatnik to semi or all-out hippie" at that time period.

I think a lotta kids were sorting out politics in an era with an even more divisive complex of "politics" than anyone much under 63-65 can't quite get their heads into.

It's of "music interest" too, because not only did one have party politics of "left vs right," one also had "war vs anti-war" among those on both "left" and "right."

Now add to the mix the invention and distribution of a number of very interesting "drugs."

There was "THE PILL" that changed sexual mores and attitudes - and music, because after it became generally easily available, "I wanna hold your hand" just wasn't enough for anybody. Remember that in the US, that came concurrent with the above passionate political games.

Then came "other stuff" in terms of drugs to alter one's mind.

Through it all, there was a general youth response of anyone born roughly 1935 and forward, that the "do it by the book" attitude of their parents and grandparents was not what they wanted. They ignored the "why" found in the depression and WWII, and saw the world as growing and rosy and not a place to be as boring as old people.

All the above led to the functional destruction of a lotta stuff. "Hippies" all-out or wannabes, basically destroyed all kinds of institutions from service clubs to churches, local sports leagues to dance halls. They'd climb onto a bandwagon for this or that, but not with any basic "general theory" that made, or makes sense.

And that latter comes through in the music beginning in the changes in "the beatles" and forward, too.

For what it's worth, I never was referred to as a hippie, but frequently as a rebellious loose cannon and borderline zen-nutzo beatnik often disguising it by being dressed in a coat and tie or headed off to go hunting or by playing in a country band. Needless to say, it often was difficult to find a "fit" with folks.

m

For what it's worth, I never was referred to as a hippie, but frequently as a rebellious loose cannon and borderline zen-nutzo beatnik often disguising it by being dressed in a coat and tie or headed off to go hunting or by playing in a country band. Needless to say, it often was difficult to find a "fit" with folks.

m

Hmm very interesting... thanks for sharing [thumbup]

Something kind of similar happened when I was younger (like the mid to late 80s) which was the Rave scene (much more watered down than what happened in the 60s)... and like in your case the drugs came with it (acid and speed and ecstasy) it was HUGE in the UK at the time... But back then I was a rocker, long hair, biker jacket and AC/DC tshirt lol (you were kind of either a rocker or raver back then (or Goth) as you say just a fashion really, a lot of the time I was referred to as either Bevis or Butthead...and I will never forget a quote from my grandmother who once said that if she saw me walking down the street like that and didn't know me she would have crossed the road.. lol

I just found it amusing that people would judge you so much by how you looked (as I still do).

Rabs...

As one who has trained others in personal defense tactics... one had best consider the appearance of others, regardless that it may not tell what/who is inside, especially in some parts of our world. Even how they carry themselves, weight shifts, clothing... it all tells one something about the other.

In my second life (I'm currently in the third) I actually had my suits tailored to "carry" and to offer roughly the same flexibility as military BDUs. Such never was "needed" other than offering more comfort on long airline flights than jeans, but on the other hand...

m

Archived