Gibson Brands Forums

'74 SG Deluxe-Info/Help?

Tompa192

Hello,

This is my first post on here, but I am looking for some input/thought/help on this!

I have recently come across a '74 SG Deluxe for sale. My co-worker (who is selling it), is the only owner of the guitar. He wants to sell it because he does not play it enough anymore. He has told me that he previously posted a few adds to sell it for $3800, and got plenty of interested, but all form collectors. He did not want to sell to a collector because he wanted the guitar to be well played and well loved, which I completely understand! I have done my homework on the guitar and learned about the whole "Norlin Era" and PAF pickups. I seen them for sale around the $1700-$2000 mark, but have also come across some going for upwards of $3500-$4000.

I have had a chance to take the SG home and play it through a few of my amps and compare it to my 2009 SG Standard. I do really like the way it plays, and it sounds amazing! The neck is not quite as fast as my newer SG, but the growl from that thing is unreal and pure rock and roll.

I am just looking for any insight or input about this, and I want to be sure that I am not getting ripped off in anyway.

Any comments are helpful!

Cheers

Hey, are you sure it's a 74. I may be wrong but according to my price guide, the deluxe was made in 71-72, 81-85 and 98-99. No 74 sg deluxe. The value, 71-72 sg deluxe goes for $1400 to $1700, the other ones $1075 to $1300 depending on condition. This is from a book, hope it helps.

Sorry, I forgot to add he has offered it to me for $2500.

It is definitely '74, I have checked the serial number on it. I thought it was a deluxe? From my understanding the SG Deluxe's had the front plate and humbuckers, and the SG Pro's had P90s. All of the other models had the classic plate on the back.

I wish I could really help, but all I have is my 2013 Price guide at the moment. Sorry. The SG Custom 74-76 $2400 to $2900. SG Special 72-75 $1350 to $1600 and the SG Standard 71-75 $1900 to $2300. And like I said, the book does not show a deluxe 74. That's all I got, I know it's not much. If it's worth $2500 to you then go for it, I personally think it's a little high.

It is definitely '74, I have checked the serial number on it.

The serial number alone will not determine a definitive year of manufacture for ANY Gibson of this era, and the SG Deluxe with the face pate mounted controls was discontinued sometime in 1973. But that's not really my point.......

Asking prices (and blue books) mean nothing. The only way to put a value on any instrument is by determining "market value" by researching recent actual sales. E-bay "sold listings" show recent sales of 6 of these instruments with sales prices of $1287 - $1650, averaging out to $1478. This is the "average market value" of this instrument.

THIS is why your friend didn't sell it to the "collectors" for $3800.

Archived