Gibson Brands Forums

So, has anyone considered a MinEtune yet? Anyone???

Blueblooded

So, after tuning and retuning to play The Rain Song a few times recently, I got to thinking that the MinEtune could simplify life a little. I have a few guitars, but would like to quickly and easily use different tunings on one or more of them from time to time. Anyone else have these thoughts? What about for any of you gigging guitarists -- would't it make things easier?

I have never seen anything positive said about it here. If it's an option, why wouldn't you be open to it?

Not really..

when I see the demo, it really doesn't seem that fast as you have to do each string separately.. I could probably do it almost as fast manually. But then I don't gig so maybe as you say its useful for the working musician?

I think there are a lotta factors involved and that, instead of complaining that it's the end of the civilized world, it should be seen as a niche market to begin with and potentially a greater marketplace as the world changes.

I wouldn't mind an aftermarket mini on a mid-cost AE. I'm perfectly capable of tuning my own guitar, but it seems a potentially neat addition to a solo gig where the machine could handle retuning while the picker does a bit of BS between songs. Then again, some bad lines about tuning a guitar work too while you're twisting this and that at the head of the guitar. So... pay yer money and take yer choice.

m

I won't be buying a guitar with it and I don't think I'm in the minority here either. It just looks like a point of failure to me and it also makes the guitar look cheap. I mostly play in E Standard and my gibsons tend to stay in tune well. I have a tuning pedal, a tuning app on my ipad, the rocksmith and bandfuse tuners, etc. Why would I want this?

At various times in my life I've done some variations on different tunings... I could see going from standard E to an open G or open E being quite handy... especially on a folkie thing.

Depends on the gig and the picker - which is why I say "niche market."

m

... I could see going from standard E to an open G or open E being quite handy... especially on a folkie thing...

I can certainly see the appeal for a working musician - especially one who plays in different tunings. Dave (in Spain) loves his LP Robot for gigs and I trust his opinions.

For myself; I only play a very few numbers in anything other than standard E - open D mostly - but I do wonder how well the system copes with dropping pitch.

When I drop down I tune below pitch; stretch/yank the strings to take up any slack and then, once it all seems stable, tune back up to correct (dropped) pitch. Does the MinEtune take this factor into account?

:-k

P.

Guest Farnsbarns

I can certainly see the appeal for a working musician - especially one who plays in different tunings. Dave (in Spain) loves his LP Robot for gigs and I trust his opinions.

For myself; I only play a very few numbers in anything other than standard E - open D mostly - but I do wonder how well the system copes with dropping pitch.

When I drop down I tune below pitch; stretch/yank the strings to take up any slack and then, once it all seems stable, tune back up to correct (dropped) pitch. Does the MinEtune take this factor into account?

:-k

P.

My understanding is that the lash designed in to normal tuners isn't needed with these so tuning down doesn't have the same disastrous results it does with manual worm-and-wheel tuners.

The other alternatives are either the midi route or Roland route via VG99 or GR where you can transpose instantly to any tuning you care to name (or go bass if you like) without altering your guitar's actual tuning (although in your head the string notes have changed dependent on the tuning selected).

For a while now I have wanted a Robot without all the effects and amp sims built in. Just the tuning capability. I nearly bought a DarkFire a few years back. I would have bought a Mine-Etune already but at $300 plus shipping they are still just a bit too pricy for me. I can do a lot of alt tuning stuff with my Roland but this would offer a different kind of flexibility. Not really interested in the live aspect. I'd like to use it for song writing.

I think sooner or later they'll be pretty popular, but I think eventually they'll have them where they work on the other end of the string at the stopbar. It makes much more sense. Then your headstock and tuners are stock and the gizmo replaces the stock stopbar using the stock mounting holes.

Solves a lot of problems. [thumbup]

I have the original robot and love it! Never had a problem, well balanced and tunes up with a few strums. The new Mini Etune system is more advanced and tunes and changes tuning much faster. I really don't know why anyone would be against it. As a matter of fact everyone in my band tunes to me cause I'm always spot on... [biggrin]

Not really..

when I see the demo, it really doesn't seem that fast as you have to do each string separately..

Not true, you can tune the string separatley if you need to touch up an odd string that went out but it will tune all the strings together at the same time and quickly too... The separate tuning of strings is for fine tuning or touch ups...

The LP Signature T I won came with the minEtune unit on it. I'm not really digging it as it sometimes gets "discombobulated" and lost while trying to tune. Not often, but when it does, you may as well step out for coffee.

The main thing I don't like about it is that the tuners don't hold tune very well. A good set of Grovers holds tune far better IMO (which I have and will be swapping the minEtune out next chance I get).

Once the novelty of watching it tune a couple of times has passed...it's become more of a hindrance than an aid.

During the blowout madness a couple of weeks ago my gas for a P-90 Les Paul got the best of me and I bought a 50s Tribute with Min-ETune from Sweetwater. If there had been a choice I would not have gotten Min-ETune, but all of the 50s Tributes had it. I'm real happy with the guitar overall and it scratched the P-90 LP itch nicely.

So on to Min-ETune -

I've never had any trouble tuning my guitars. I do use a Snark because it's so convenient. Min-ETune is kind of liking taking the Snark to the next level. Overall I find the system quite useful in the week or so I've been playing with it. To "touch up" the tuning you are currently in, like when you first pick up the guitar you simply turn it on, strum all the strings, let it do its thing and then hit any individual strings that it didn't get just right. My experience so far has been that's there's always at least 1 string that needs a 2nd pluck.

I mainly play in standard tuning. I use E flat sometimes and Open G sometimes. This is where the system really shines. A few button presses, a strum and a couple of plucked strings and you're in an alternate tuning. Same process for the trip back. I've played in alternate tunings quite a bit since I got it because it's so easy to go back and forth.

So overall I find it useful and am happy to have it on this guitar. I'm not retrofitting it on to other guitars and have no plans to. Likewise, I'm not removing it from my Tribute and fitting standard tuners. Tuning stability is fine and mine has yet to lose its mind, although it's only been a week.

A few other points:

- It only came with the quick reference card, which is enough to get going, but you have to download the manual that covers string changing, etc. I just thought that was kind of cheesy on Gibson's part.

- It uses a rechargeable battery and came with a charger and all kinds of power adapters. The battery has to be removed to be charged. There is a battery indicator so you know when you need to charge.

- I have not changed strings yet, but it's an entirely different operation. It does have a winder function that should be pretty handy.

- There is a limited amount of information available on the Min-ETune and a lot of available options - 3 banks of 6 tunings each. You need to memorize what is where for the tunings you want and/or keep the quick reference card handy.

- Gibson claims 15 second tuning. Staying in the same tuning is at least that quick, changing tunings takes longer, maybe 30 seconds max.

Pics or it didn't happen:

IMG_1460_zps3ede8c13.jpg

IMG_1464_zps3b671205.jpg

I ordered an SG Standard with the MinEtune last week. Waiting for next batch to come in. I've wanted an SG for awhile and thought I'd give the MinEtune a try. Basically cost me $100 more. If I don't like it, I won't have a problem sending it back.

Rob G

Not really..

when I see the demo, it really doesn't seem that fast as you have to do each string separately.. I could probably do it almost as fast manually. But then I don't gig so maybe as you say its useful for the working musician?

Rabs - I am interested in how it works for more complex tunings like GDCGCD. If it can do it as quick as in that video I will be impressed. And if you can do it manually from standard tuning in under a minute, you are a guitar god! [thumbup]

Good thoughts and replies - thanks everyone.

Searcy - I'm with you on pricing. When they improve it a little more and drop the price a bit, I might get one for one of my guitars just for the convenience.

I've had a Robot SG since 2008. Works great.

Stability/holding-tune: That complaint sometimes comes from owners of manual tuners. Unfortunate problem to run into whether you have Min-ETune or not. Thankfully I've never had that problem with my Robot.

Speed: My Robot SG has an accuracy setting - the more accurate the setting (as a variance from pitch), the longer it takes to tune.

Discombobulation: It happened to a degree. For me, it was always a new set of strings that I hadn't taken the time to stretch. Since, when I restring the Robot I stretch them up a whole tone or so. It's the way I string all my guitars - stretches the strings and seats the wraps.

2008SG-RobotLTDmd-.jpg

Rabs - I am interested in how it works for more complex tunings like GDCGCD. If it can do it as quick as in that video I will be impressed. And if you can do it manually from standard tuning in under a minute, you are a guitar god! [thumbup]

Good thoughts and replies - thanks everyone.

Searcy - I'm with you on pricing. When they improve it a little more and drop the price a bit, I might get one for one of my guitars just for the convenience.

Haha... lol, ive never timed myself...maybeI should try :-k

Here's the truth.

90% of you won't like it,

Why?

Because you play in standard, you don't go outside that territory and stick to the songs you know.

But the other 10%?

Love it.

It allows for different turnings on the fly, for song writers and so forth. It's not necessary but it's a nice tool many guitar players at first think they won't even use but learn to like. I've used it and i quite like it. Is it something i look for in a guitar? Not really, but it's a nice feature and i'm okay with it.

During the blowout madness a couple of weeks ago my gas for a P-90 Les Paul got the best of me and I bought a 50s Tribute with Min-ETune from Sweetwater. If there had been a choice I would not have gotten Min-ETune, but all of the 50s Tributes had it. I'm real happy with the guitar overall and it scratched the P-90 LP itch nicely.

So on to Min-ETune -

I've never had any trouble tuning my guitars. I do use a Snark because it's so convenient. Min-ETune is kind of liking taking the Snark to the next level. Overall I find the system quite useful in the week or so I've been playing with it. To "touch up" the tuning you are currently in, like when you first pick up the guitar you simply turn it on, strum all the strings, let it do its thing and then hit any individual strings that it didn't get just right. My experience so far has been that's there's always at least 1 string that needs a 2nd pluck.

I mainly play in standard tuning. I use E flat sometimes and Open G sometimes. This is where the system really shines. A few button presses, a strum and a couple of plucked strings and you're in an alternate tuning. Same process for the trip back. I've played in alternate tunings quite a bit since I got it because it's so easy to go back and forth.

So overall I find it useful and am happy to have it on this guitar. I'm not retrofitting it on to other guitars and have no plans to. Likewise, I'm not removing it from my Tribute and fitting standard tuners. Tuning stability is fine and mine has yet to lose its mind, although it's only been a week.

A few other points:

- It only came with the quick reference card, which is enough to get going, but you have to download the manual that covers string changing, etc. I just thought that was kind of cheesy on Gibson's part.

- It uses a rechargeable battery and came with a charger and all kinds of power adapters. The battery has to be removed to be charged. There is a battery indicator so you know when you need to charge.

- I have not changed strings yet, but it's an entirely different operation. It does have a winder function that should be pretty handy.

- There is a limited amount of information available on the Min-ETune and a lot of available options - 3 banks of 6 tunings each. You need to memorize what is where for the tunings you want and/or keep the quick reference card handy.

- Gibson claims 15 second tuning. Staying in the same tuning is at least that quick, changing tunings takes longer, maybe 30 seconds max.

Pics or it didn't happen:

IMG_1460_zps3ede8c13.jpg

IMG_1464_zps3b671205.jpg

That's extremely common in today's world.

Mostly because of the economic and "green" factor.

I've ordered a selection of things that come with full manuals you can only find online to save paper...and to save the company money.

Though it has it's uses because theres a few times where going online and finding a manual would of saved my ***.

Here's the truth.

90% of you won't like it,

Why?

Because you play in standard, you don't go outside that territory and stick to the songs you know.

But the other 10%?

Love it.

It allows for different turnings on the fly, for song writers and so forth. It's not necessary but it's a nice tool many guitar players at first think they won't even use but learn to like. I've used it and i quite like it. Is it something i look for in a guitar? Not really, but it's a nice feature and i'm okay with it.

Exactly! There are so many great songs that use alternate tunings but I don't go there as much as I would if I had something that made it easier.

Archived