Gibson Brands Forums

Pick guard issue

4 FINGER PETE

I have just purchased a Hummingbird Pro and noticed that the pick guard was not glued at one extremity.,sticking up about 3/4 inch at one end. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I understand Gibson uses two sided tape and I wouldn't want to apply glue. Someone suggested silicone and a clamp. What do you think?

I have just purchased a Hummingbird Pro and noticed that the pick guard was not glued at one extremity.,sticking up about 3/4 inch at one end. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I understand Gibson uses two sided tape and I wouldn't want to apply glue. Someone suggested silicone and a clamp. What do you think?

Do not use silicone as it will permeate the finish and get into the wood which is not good in case you ever want to refinish the guitar!

Please use this, it's cheap

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Pickguards/Pickguard_materials/Pickguard_Adhesive_Sheet.html

Sometimes, these pickguards don't stick well around the edges. I've had good luck clamping them (very small c-clamp, using small wood backing blocks both inside the guitar and on top of the pickguard). Clamp it with moderate pressure only--you aren't trying to crush the wood. There is often enough adhesive on the surface to re-stick the guard.

If this does nothing, the best course of action might be to remove the guard completely (several threads on this topic here) and start over with a fresh adhesive sheet, as outlined in a previous response to you above.

Do not under any circumstances use silicone or any other adhesive. Once the surface finish is contaminated, it is hell to remove all traces. The adhesive sheet is fairly easily removed with naphtha, according to those who have done it.

Caveat: I have not done this complete removal job myself, but many others here have, and may wish to chime in.

j45nick, I agree with you about removing it. I have fixed a few of them and the big problem is trying to get the double stick tape under the lifting PG. Chances are it will start lifting again in the same spot or next to it.

Once you have the PG off clean the old adheasive off with naphtha and then inspect it to see if it is starting to warp. That may be the reason it is lifting. If it is then I would suggest putting it in hot water and apply light pressure to get it back to flat. Hot water will be the best way to do it since a heat gun or even a hair dryer can warp it and turn it to scrap plastic in a heartbeat.

But I would opt to remove the whole thing and put new adhesive down. I have used the Stew Mac sheets but I prefer to use 3M double stick carpet tape. The Stew Mac ones are very very thin and can be a pain to apply with out getting wrinkles and puckers in it. The 3M comes in rolls and is a couple of inches wide and a bit thicker so it is much easier to manage.

Ya, the pick guard thing. It's fine you don't need to fix it. It's not going to fall off. I know you need to make it look perfect so....Don't use carpet tape. It holds way to well and will be very difficult to remove without damaging your finish. You will also risk top wood damage if your pick guard starts to shrink. None of us needs a top crack do we? Just buy the pick guard tape and follow directions. All will be fine. Better yet just leave it alone and when it gets so bad you can't stand it any longer take the opportunity to get a new pick guard.

Ya, the pick guard thing. It's fine you don't need to fix it. It's not going to fall off. I know you need to make it look perfect so....Don't use carpet tape. It holds way to well and will be very difficult to remove without damaging your finish. You will also risk top wood damage if your pick guard starts to shrink. None of us needs a top crack do we? Just buy the pick guard tape and follow directions. All will be fine. Better yet just leave it alone and when it gets so bad you can't stand it any longer take the opportunity to get a new pick guard.

Oh Great! Now you tell me.... I have been using carpet tape for years on pick guards. I have even removed a few and never had any problem with it damaging the finish or ripping the wood apart.

Maybe I am just lucky.

I wonder what luthiers did before Stew Mack...

It's fine you don't need to fix it. It's not going to fall off.

I am sure he knows it isn't going to fall off but his question was how to fix it. My guess is he doesn't think "It's Fine"

I just came back and re-read my post and I think It came out a bit rude.

I am sorry Hogeye, it sounded different in my head... Writing on forums does that sometimes so if I sounded smug or rude I certainly didn't mean it.

Bob

Archived