Gibson Brands Forums

Thinking about a trade.

Searcy

The Chet is nice, but no Beegsbeez in my house. The Florentine on the 125 is the schnizzle, I'd do it.

I thought this thread was titled "Thinnking about a triad", and I wasn't sure how much you would actually have to think about that.

rct

Seems my phone is smarter than I am.

I love the neck on the Chet. That's why I bought it. But it's stupid heavy and I'm not that into the Bigsby. Price wise I think my Chet is worth more than the. 125 which he's asking 2800 for. Faded as it is and having had a refret, It's not worth nearly that much . Maybe 2000. My Chet is worth at least. 2200

Seems my phone is smarter than I am.

I love the neck on the Chet. That's why I bought it. But it's stupid heavy and I'm not that into the Bigsby. Price wise I think my Chet is worth more than the. 125 which he's asking 2800 for. Faded as it is and having had a refret, It's not worth nearly that much . Maybe 2000. My Chet is worth at least. 2200

My ignorance of such guitars found me surprised at your potential trade, because I thought a Chet would trump just about anything, and you'd have a 125 and a handful of money. This is why I need some hollerbody in my life. Just not that much hollerbody. Maybe a Sorrento. Maybe.

Good luck with it.

rct

I've edited my first post three times. I'm staying out of this one.

Okay, I'm not. I've got a G6120 with Filtertrons (I love those suckers) that I'm getting rid of for two reasons: the Bigsby and poor upper fret access. I actually prefer the Gibson CA, but it has the same issues. If someone offered me a straight trade of my G6120 for that 125, I'd jump on it.

1486719_10151821785741634_327055143_n.jpg

Here's another picture of it. You can see where the pick guard used to be in this shot and how the finish has faded. I dig that.

I'm still thinking about it. I might go look at it again this week end and talk to them about that price. $2800 is way too high.

I've been toying with the idea of either a 125 or 225 myself and $2,800 seems way over the top compared with the prices I usually see.

As far as the trade goes;

The Chet is undeniably a beautiful (and no doubt beautifully crafted) guitar and I'm surprised that you suspect the likely selling-price would be so low but I'm sure you know better than I do.

IMO, funds/costs aside for the time being, it all comes down to whether you play and enjoy the Chet as much as you would enjoy playing the 125.

If the weight of the Chet make it a chore more than a treat and the 125 is irresistible then go for the latter.

I have to add that I've seen several similar examples in far better condition selling for considerably less money : but if the one you tried 'Spoke' to you then, clearly, that's what counts.

P.

Imho:

I'd focus on playability first. The Chet is somewhat of a unique beast in the Gibson world of thin hollowbodies, with it's 25.5" scale & wider neck. Does the ES-125 feel as good or better? If not, you might end up regretting the loss of the CA, which would not be all that easy to replace. And of course tonally, there are significant differences as well.

I have a red 1990 CA Tennessean, and a faded burst '66 ES-125T, so your dilemma touches a nerve close to home. Totally different animals, and I'd have a hard time parting with either. I'd say keep the CA & buy the 125, if the seller will enter the real world with the price. He/she is currently more towards the upper end of what some dealers would ask. I've recently seen these going for around $2000, and sometimes less, with two pickups (but overall condition is the wild card & could command a premium asking price).

One more thought - If you haven't already played the ES-330 VOS, it's really worth a spin as a point of reference for what your money could potentially buy in a new P90 thin hollowbody. If you latch onto a good one, it can give anything vintage a run for it's money, and you gain some easy upper fretboard access compared to the 125.

Hope it all works out for the best!

Archived