Gibson Brands Forums

Preset Tunings error or misprint in the quick start?

icing777

Guys,

I sat down next to my keyboard yesterday to go thru the list of pre-set tunings .

I've noticed that some tunings are not matching the notes printed in the quick start manual to the tuned ones.

Unfortunately, I did not mark which ones, but will do it again today.

Did anyone go thru this excersize? What are your findings?

I am not familiar with many pre-set tunings and do not know what they should really be... Any insight would help!

Thanks!

>Let me suggest you do that Factory Reset before you go through that exercise again just in case something got hosed or reset inadvertantly the last few days.

I agree:

I when seeking the Dark Fire's Setup Mode response - "1 - 0 - 9" - just think of JFK's PT boat and self written novel - "PT109"

Here is what I have as the instructions for teh reset:

"Reset to Factory Defaults

1. To enter Setup Mode, pull out the MCK and turn it to the "#b"

symbol in any Bank. Press the display until a pink "Enter" symbol is displayed, then release the MCK.

Now press down the MCK again until a cyan "Enter" symbol is displayed. You are now in Setup Mode. You will see a cyan “Enter” symbol and the ”b” LED will shine yellow as confirmation.

2. Rotate MCK until the number “1” is displayed. Momentary press causes the “1” to flash red—it has been entered.

3. Rotate MCK until the number “0” is displayed. Momentary press causes the “0” to flash red—it has been entered.

4. Rotate MCK until the number “9” is displayed. Momentary press causes the “9” to flash red—it has been entered.

5. Now rotate the MCK all the way counter-clockwise and give a momentary press. The “Enter” symbol flashes red and back to cyan. The selected Function Number will scroll across the Matrix Display in yellow. A red Question mark will appear.

6. Rotate MCK until the “Y” is displayed. Momentary press causes the “Y” to flash red—it has been entered.

7. Now rotate the MCK all the way counter-clockwise and give a momentary press. The “Enter” symbol flashes red and back to cyan. The selected Function Number will scroll across the Matrix Display."

These instructions look very scatchy to me... What do all these flashes mean? Did anyone do this yet?

Honestly, I am uneasy to try....

PLEASE CHECK YOUR PRESET TUNINGS TO VERIFY AGAINST THE "MANUAL" and let me know what you find.

I found its best to whip out the camcorder, and video tape the "MCK" knob's scrolling radio text - because if I blink I tend to miss out on something important its trying to tell me..

That way I can rewind the camcorder tape and set it in slow motion so I can read what the MCK is saying - which is what mode the Dark Fire is currently "in".

Now if we we could just get it to display L-Y-R-I-C-S !

Fun huh!

Here is what I have as the instructions for teh reset:

"Reset to Factory Defaults

1. To enter Setup Mode' date=' pull out the MCK and turn it to the "#b"

symbol in any Bank. Press the display until a pink "Enter" symbol is displayed, then release the MCK.

Now press down the MCK again until a cyan "Enter" symbol is displayed. You are now in Setup Mode. You will see a cyan “Enter” symbol and the ”b” LED will shine yellow as confirmation.

2. Rotate MCK until the number “1” is displayed. Momentary press causes the “1” to flash red—it has been entered.

3. Rotate MCK until the number “0” is displayed. Momentary press causes the “0” to flash red—it has been entered.

4. Rotate MCK until the number “9” is displayed. Momentary press causes the “9” to flash red—it has been entered.

5. Now rotate the MCK all the way counter-clockwise and give a momentary press. The “Enter” symbol flashes red and back to cyan. The selected Function Number will scroll across the Matrix Display in yellow. A red Question mark will appear.

6. Rotate MCK until the “Y” is displayed. Momentary press causes the “Y” to flash red—it has been entered.

7. Now rotate the MCK all the way counter-clockwise and give a momentary press. The “Enter” symbol flashes red and back to cyan. The selected Function Number will scroll across the Matrix Display."[/i']

These instructions look very scatchy to me... What do all these flashes mean? Did anyone do this yet?

Honestly, I am uneasy to try....

PLEASE CHECK YOUR PRESET TUNINGS TO VERIFY AGAINST THE "MANUAL" and let me know what you find.

Has anyone tried yet?

I found its best to whip out the camcorder' date=' and video tape the "MCK" knob's scrolling radio text - because if I blink I tend to miss out on something important its trying to tell me..

That way I can rewind the camcorder tape and set it in slow motion so I can read what the MCK is saying - which is what mode the Dark Fire is currently "in".

Now if we we could just get it to display L-Y-R-I-C-S !

Fun huh! [/quote']

I am afraid to see what it will play when you run it backwards...

Joke aside, I was thinking just tonight that it would have been much simpler & easier to use if they simply embedded a LED dispay matrix on the side of the guitar facing the player right above the toggle switch. Use the same cable routing to the toggle and let it just sit there. Player simply looks down while manipulating the MCK which does exactly the same things as it does now but does not have to display stuff... Makes it simpler & cheaper perhaps...

Alas. Too late. I am sure we will all get used to the peek down over the guitar move.

I was thinking just tonight that it would have been much simpler & easier to use if they simply embedded a LED dispay matrix on the side of the guitar facing the player right above the toggle switch. Use the same cable routing to the toggle and let it just sit there. Player simply looks down while manipulating the MCK which does exactly the same things as it does now but does not have to display stuff... Makes it simpler & cheaper perhaps...

This is indeed a great idea!

I first heard about Transperformance in 1994

check out their roster of users.

Pros:

* Footswitch control

* Legible side mounted backlit LCD Display

* Allows non western Microtunings

Cons:

* Cost - Last I checked - it was around $5K installed - and you supply the guitar.

* Ugly 12 button control panel

*Weight - 8 ounces - (WITHOUT THE OPTIONAL BATTERY) Slide master Sonny Landreth spoke highly of this system 1998-2003 - but had to give it up as it gave him back problems, as it added significant weight to his Les Paul. He currently employs a Hipshot Trilogy on a Strat for on the fly retuning.

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=33

* Battery Life 120 minutes with 120 tuning changes

By Contrast - with the Dark Fire we get a Robot guitar, Chameleon Tone EQ, Hex recording RIP box, + all the software to make you no longer say "I have nothing to do" . We get a whole system for 1/2 the cost of that "other robotic tuning system.

Dark Fire has faster tuning , much longer battery life too. Go Wireless.

Archived