Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul standard vs. Gibson Les Paul traditional?

gibson61

I joined this forum to basicly ask these questions. I have a Les Paul traditional and i love it to death, but i was wondering if anyone could tell me if the chambers in the standard would make the sound much different than the sound of weight relieved holes. And i would like to know the difference between burstbucker pros and 57 humbuckers. How are they similar and how are they different? can anyone give some answers?

Hi, Gibson61. Welcome and those are good questions. The chambering gives the Les Paul a slightly brighter more vibrant sound. If you've ever played a Semi-hollowbody electric guitar, then you know how different it feels and sounds compared to a solid mahogany (unchambered) body. The chambered LP's are in between the two. They ring sort of like a Semi-hollow, but for the most part they sound like a Traditional LP.

The Burstbucker pickups are wound unevenly. This means that each Burstbucker has 2 bobbins which are wound with wire and one bobbin has more winds than the other. This produces a slightly grittier tone than if they were wound evenly. The '57 Classic pickups are wound evenly, thus producing a smoother tone, but they can also get gritty and dirty. Both are great pickups.

Welcome gibson61' date=' I agree with bigbends. If you don't mind me asking, what's the significance of your username? Are you a gibson? born in 1961? Just curious...[/quote']

haha no sir, its just a username i use a good bit, because i use to want a 61 reisue SG and it came from that. sorry to dissappoint :)

I can feel your pain in regards to this question. After years of what can only be described as lusting after a Les and figuring that the closest I would come would be a Epi LP, I was pleasantly pleased / surprised / elated to find out that my grandmother and fiance had conspired to fulfill my Les-lust. I spent hours going back and forth playing a Traditional and a 2008 Standard. After deciding that it wasn't feasible to buy both (yet...lol....) I went with a Honeyburst 2008 Standard. As a side note, the fiance said that she was going out of town for a day or two to visit family the day after I got it so she wouldn't feel too jealous and I could have time to break in the guitar properly (lol). You have to love an understanding woman... ;)

Archived