Gibson Brands Forums

Pick killer

ParlourMan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a strange place for it to chip...X 3 no less. You may need to invest in a pick humidifier. Better lay off the old Simon and Garfunkle tunes. I'm surprised you're OK with the tone at that vigor.

Are you dinging up the soundhole edge, PM?

The pics are all of the one that was still in my pocket, other two were lobbed away on the night. One snapped in half, one was ragged and came apart like it was a ply material, this is the third...

Now, with a few spirited moments included, the guitar still had all 6 string intact, it was even in tune give or take 2cents on the b-string.

Top a bit dinged in a couple of places I documented before but not savaged at all, technique isn't overly hard except a few moments that call for a bit of extra enthusiasm, but I don't tickle it like it was a first date either.

Probably a couple of the songs with big endings that require a bit of rapid fury to sign off on.

Think the M picks from gibson are quite fragile really, got other picks I've had 3 years, worm but smooth, the gibson ones were a box of 50 bought in May/June. I have four left... So, 46 picks in 30+/- gigs.

I really dont know how one could damage a pick like that. Ive been using those Gibson medium picks for 2 years and often bash my Gibons to a pulp but have never had such an experience. The worst was a clean snap in half during a particular frenzy.

But chipping like this on the side, Im fascinated how this is possible ..... as Mojo said, it really looks like you put a flame to it PM.

Are the strings still well? [rolleyes] What about the guitar top? [scared]

Yes, like I said, all even in tune except the b-string by a couple of cents. I must admit I was fairly impressed.

That's a strange place for it to chip...X 3 no less. You may need to invest in a pick humidifier. Better lay off the old Simon and Garfunkle tunes. I'm surprised you're OK with the tone at that vigor.

Are you dinging up the soundhole edge, PM?

Soundhole is dandy..,… the pics are all of the same one, this was the one I still had in my pocket, the prior two were discarded.

I really dont know how one could damage a pick like that. Ive been using those Gibson medium picks for 2 years and often bash my Gibons to a pulp but have never had such an experience. The worst was a clean snap in half during a particular frenzy.

But chipping like this on the side, Im fascinated how this is possible ..... as Mojo said, it really looks like you put a flame to it PM.

I'd disagree, I've sen your videos EA, you're a tickler…

It's because the band turn him down low so he can't be heard , but he's a determined fecker.

PM - buy some tortex picks . headcase :)

What you wearing?

I tell ya, between the axe comment on the Dylan's electric post and now this I have had more laughs in the last 5 hours than in a long time! Hee Haw!

Now that I've made you laugh, do you want to get down to it?

Seriously, celluloid picks are sensitive to humidity, and become brittle when too dry. I don't know what these Gibson picks are made of, but I also had to deal with breaking celluloid picks in the past and therefore switched to polyamide (Nylon) many years ago. I mainly use MAXX Grip .73 and .88 mm and Jazz III picks, all of them made by Dunlop. I also had Dunlop Tortex picks in use, but many of them came warped stock what fouled up my picking.

What we should draw from this is that I've had dunlo[ picks which have knocked around for years, I've had sharkfins (but I would never use them), I've had stuff nearly 2mm thick.. all knocking around for the 2-3 year bracket.. but Ive demolished 46 Gibson M picks in 30-32 gigs. I'm now of the impression they're the brown-whiffy-wonders of the pick world. Last time I fingered something that fragile…… well, nobody wants barred now do they….

Seriously, celluloid picks are sensitive to humidity, and become brittle when too dry. I don't know what these Gibson picks are made of, but I also had to deal with breaking celluloid picks in the past and therefore switched to polyamide (Nylon) many years ago. I mainly use MAXX Grip .73 and .88 mm and Jazz III picks, all of them made by Dunlop. I also had Dunlop Tortex picks in use, but many of them came warped stock what fouled up my picking.

Dude, feels like I've been playing with China plates….

Dude, That is some serious picking...

I use to play with a guy that could do that to picks and guitars, at first he couldn't play my "good" guitars and then I banished him from playing any of them. I play very light and use light strings so I can't remember the last time I broke a pick.

I would say you need tougher picks, ever tried metal? [scared]

Archived