Gibson Brands Forums

Pick killer

ParlourMan

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have never done that to a pick in my life! No matter how hard I play.

JM

How about more than 40 odd of them in a few months. Like yourself I have never seen this before on any pic, yet one after one they're mangled. Faulty batch? Or does this material turn brittle very quickly?

Looking for an answer not a promise of freebies. As I say, I have never been able to do this to any other type of pick.

How about more than 40 odd of them in a few months. Like yourself I have never seen this before on any pic, yet one after one they're mangled. Faulty batch? Or does this material turn brittle very quickly?

Looking for an answer not a promise of freebies. As I say, I have never been able to do this to any other type of pick.

They clearly do not agree with your playing style. I would never bring one to a show again.

J

They clearly do not agree with your playing style. I would never bring one to a show again.

J

Haha, we're in agreement.... now, I'm really not all that heavy handed at all, as I say bar the b-string the guitar was n tune at the end. They're very brittle. I'm assuming this is not normal? and are they a plied material, I have actually split one across the material if you get what I mean?

Haha, we're in agreement.... now, I'm really not all that heavy handed at all, as I say bar the b-string the guitar was n tune at the end. They're very brittle. I'm assuming this is not normal? and are they a plied material, I have actually split one across the material if you get what I mean?

If splitting of a pick across the material means it got sliced, this would be really uncommon indeed. Never experienced, witnessed or heard about that before.

If splitting of a pick across the material means it got sliced, this would be really uncommon indeed. Never experienced, witnessed or heard about that before.

Me neither, but 46 of them in a few months.... not all split across, loads chipped, some snapped in half, a few with the hook like chips we see above...

As I said earlier, I'm looking for an answer, not hawking for freebies, if the material is known to be quite delicate it would seem they are not for me, but the other pics I posted of picks from a different maker are from 2009 and demonstrate the normal wear I'd leave on a pick.

I guess my Question is; If I buy these again am I likely to get the same outcome or have I had a box that has either come from a faulty batch or been stored in a way before sale that would cause the material to become brittle.

I am aware there are a few variables in play there, but put simply I haven't seen anything like this and trying to replicate it with any of the other plectrums I have use would be unsuccessful (or dangerous to the guitar), as I said, I'm not 60's era Pete Townshend, I'm playing acoustic, you can see videos of me playing in the link in my signature, it isn't an overly heavy style of play.

Archived