Gibson Brands Forums

1965 Epi Cortez

JuanCarlosVejar

My first guitar was a new one of these bought in 1966 that got stolen almost immediately. After all these years I found one on eBay about a year ago. Great condition with an original hard shell case and hang tag for less than half what dealers are asking. You are correct, the neck is skinny as all get out, but it really has a nice sound. Don't play it much because of the skinny neck, but it's a keeper.

Rich

My first guitar was a new one of these bought in 1966 that got stolen almost immediately. After all these years I found one on eBay about a year ago. Great condition with an original hard shell case and hang tag for less than half what dealers are asking. You are correct, the neck is skinny as all get out, but it really has a nice sound. Don't play it much because of the skinny neck, but it's a keeper.

Rich

Rich,

can we see a picture ? I'm partial to the sound of 1960's epiphones

JC

Rich,

can we see a picture ? I'm partial to the sound of 1960's epiphones

I'm using an archaic iPad and the apps I need to post pictures are not supported, but if you PM me with you email, I can send you some pictures.

Rich

I've liked these guitars for a long time. The Cortez is exactly the same instrument as the B-25 except for the headstock and pickguard. Had a Cortez first back in the '70s, and then a B-25, and now a Cortez again.

My current one is a natural finish '66 Cortez. It's got the narrow neck, but I still find it to be quite playable because of the neck's depth. It's overall profile up the neck then becomes even more comfortable. Subtle variations can make a big difference in playability, so it's worth checking these guitars out to see how a given instrument feels in hand.

Tonally, I've played some that have been deader than a doornail, but the three I've owned have had a nice percussive quality that's very appealing.

Neat little guitars!

I've liked these guitars for a long time. The Cortez is exactly the same instrument as the B-25 except for the headstock and pickguard. Had a Cortez first back in the '70s, and then a B-25, and now a Cortez again.

My current one is a natural finish '66 Cortez. It's got the narrow neck, but I still find it to be quite playable because of the neck's depth. It's overall profile up the neck then becomes even more comfortable. Subtle variations can make a big difference in playability, so it's worth checking these guitars out to see how a given instrument feels in hand.

Tonally, I've played some that have been deader than a doornail, but the three I've owned have had a nice percussive quality that's very appealing.

Neat little guitars!

I took mine out of the case and played it for an hour or so. It really does sound great and after I got warmed up I dealt with the skinny neck pretty well. I bought it for nostalgia reasons, so the fact that it sounds good is a bonus.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Rich -

If you can locate an example to try first hand,

check out one of the three new versions of the LG-2.

I took a mail order chance on the American Eagle

a few months ago, and it's just sweet as can be.

Virtually the same dimensions as a B25/Cortez,

with impressively high build quality.

Gibson small body goodness lives on!

Rich -

If you can locate an example to try first hand,

check out one of the three new versions of the LG-2.

I took a mail order chance on the American Eagle

a few months ago, and it's just sweet as can be.

Virtually the same dimensions as a B25/Cortez,

with impressively high build quality.

Gibson small body goodness lives on!

I played one of those at Gibson Day at Russo. Very impressive. GAS is starting for a small body Gibson.

Rich

Archived