Gibson Brands Forums

Which Gauge of strings do you prefer on your J-45?

jackcooper

I'm in transition from being a hard core John Pearse 80/20 light guage guy to going over to the Phosphor Bronze side. I've come to believe that the D'Addario EJ16, Phosphor Bronze, light guage is so consistent and so reasonably priced and sounds so good on so many of my guitars, that it is hard to beat. I did just put some John Pearse nickel wounds on my Eastman E10-SS, J-45 clone (a once a winter habit). I'll probably always mess around with different brands and different formulas but I'll be with light guage strings til the lights go out.

I'm a 12's guy. Too tight a grip causes sharp notes amongst the chords , which 11's doesn't help. Dont think theres a huge difference .

And the set I have on now are 80/20's . I havent liked them since I fitted them , the tuning doesnt seem as steady as PB's but that could well be a crapy set ...

A few folk have said my guitar is sounding great when I post videos , but they are usually ballads. Hard strumming doesnt sound as good as picking. May well account for the differences in choices for people. It completely depends on what you play.

Pick what makes you happy. You can't listen to anyone's opinion on strings. Everyone makes strings and a guitar sound different.

I was initially pretty excited about the extra volume you get with 13's on my SJ, but then I noticed that they really do choke the top quite a bit and dont let the tone 'breathe' as much as 12's which really seem to me to be the ideal gage and what the guitar was designed for.

I'm in transition from being a hard core John Pearse 80/20 light guage guy to going over to the Phosphor Bronze side. I've come to believe that the D'Addario EJ16, Phosphor Bronze, light guage is so consistent and so reasonably priced and sounds so good on so many of my guitars, that it is hard to beat. I did just put some John Pearse nickel wounds on my Eastman E10-SS, J-45 clone (a once a winter habit). I'll probably always mess around with different brands and different formulas but I'll be with light guage strings til the lights go out.

I love the quotes in your sig.

I really like the Tony Rice nickel 13s. But my repair guy advised me to go with a lighter gauge on my old J-50.

So I have been using 12s - like somebody else above I have been going between Curt Magnan and DR Sunbeams. I have also been known to use the DR Rares which I got into as my favorite music shop always seems to have them in stock.

I use 12s. mostly DR Sunbeam, they are PBs. Right now I havePyramid Western Folk 12s on. They sound great, but cost me about twice as much as the Sunbeams. After I finish the next two packs I will probably go back to the Sunbeams. Also my local shop does not carry the Pyramids. I have never tried 13s because the12s have been working fine, besides, who needs extra tension this time of year!!!

I use 12's on mine. Masterbuilt or D'Addario.

Was wondering if you find the Masterbuilt & D'Addario very similar ?

I've never been able to find Gibson Masterbuilts until recently, so I've not tried

them. If they mimic the D'addarios I won't bother.

michaeljohn - great find. I use 12's and I was surprised how much i liked the custom lights and extra lights when Tony played. And heck, if they make playing even easier...

My only problem is I have about 24 boxes of strings (Guitar Center just had a sepcial of 12 boxes of Martin SP 12s on sale for $25... It's gonna take me a while to go through those.

Another vote for Gibson Masterbuilt Phosphor Bronze 12's.

Red 333

And to horrify the Martin purists, they are the best sounding strings I have ever had on my Martin 15 series (All mahogany guitar).

I tried all kinds of strings on that guitar over the 7 or 8 years I have owned it, including all the name ones, but I put the MBs on because I had run out of the Eric's I had been using on it, and had a large box of Gibson strings! That is now game, set, match with these strings in it.

BluesKing777.

(Typing 1 finger on iPad and won't do that again.)

Archived