Gibson Brands Forums

Harmony guitars Roy Smeck

fretplay

The guy in the jazz band at the pub yesterday was playing a Harmony Roy Smeck. I asked him about it and he said it had a 26 inch scale. I have never come across this length before and its Stratone partner from which I guess it was copied has a 24.5 scale. Strange! Has any member played one of these I wonder?

No, but I have one of the better '50s Harmony archtops with a 24-inch scale over it's baseball bat neck.

m

I've tried a 24 scale Byrdland and it seemed a little 'packed' even so Byrdlands seem to go for big money. I have an Ibanez copy 2464 which is a Byrdland with a 24.75 scale, much nicer for me.

I'm interested in buying an old American guitar like Harmony, Supro, Valco, National, Airline. Very common in The States but few and far between in UK. Because of the age I would like to try one first or at least get some feedback from someone who does. I see Eastwood do copies of these things but'made in Korea' I'm not sure and I really do like the mojo of an american guitar. Any advice appreciated!

My opinion on Harmony - and through the years I owned several - is that the originals were overengineered in order to make up a bit for lower quality in materials. The baseball bat neck is one example, but the internals were similarly "overengineered."

The only reason I don't use mine more is that neck. Period. It's so thick it's hard to play the way that I play nowadays. I like the sound, the general shape and if I play in the technique I tended to use a lot in the '70s, it even works well. I do have small hands.

Okay, you're in the UK... but I'm guessing you've seen a baseball bat regardless. Just imagine cutting it i half and adding a fingerboard.

I have no idea whether some of that changed in the '60s with Harmony, nor what a "New Harmony" neck might be like.

But... if I could have my old '50s Harmony with an Epi or current Gibson type neck, I'd love to buy one. I never found the short scale to be a problem.

m

My opinion on Harmony - and through the years I owned several - is that the originals were overengineered in order to make up a bit for lower quality in materials. The baseball bat neck is one example, but the internals were similarly "overengineered."

The only reason I don't use mine more is that neck. Period. It's so thick it's hard to play the way that I play nowadays. I like the sound, the general shape and if I play in the technique I tended to use a lot in the '70s, it even works well. I do have small hands.

Okay, you're in the UK... but I'm guessing you've seen a baseball bat regardless. Just imagine cutting it i half and adding a fingerboard.

I have no idea whether some of that changed in the '60s with Harmony, nor what a "New Harmony" neck might be like.

But... if I could have my old '50s Harmony with an Epi or current Gibson type neck, I'd love to buy one. I never found the short scale to be a problem.

m

Ah! yes baseball necks I know then well. In the 50s early 60s here in UK you could only buy German guitars so Hofner ruled. Most of them had trust rod free baseball necks but when the American guitars came over things changed big time. You can see early Beatles pictures of George with a Hofner President and Paul and John with Hofner Clubs,

Like you I have small hands and love the Gibson slim neck profile. I have heard that the Harmony Silvertone has a 60s slim neck, I think the the Roy Smeak model to but I'm not sure.

Archived