Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rabs

The best idea I think Gibson has had in ages

Now this IS interesting..

I know there was that limited edition LP with swappable pickups which was pretty cool (someone on here has one I think)..

BUT this actually seems like a much better idea... NICE way to go Gibson [thumbup] (more stuff like this please).

Gibson-Connect_zps73d49f8d.jpg

http://store.gibson.com/quickconnect-trade-pickups/

Product Description

Say goodbye to soldering!

Swapping out between your favorite sounds has never been so easy. Only a screwdriver is required to remove the pickup mounting rings, then simply unplug the current pickup and plug in your new tone! It's just that easy!

Quick Connect technology is currently available on several of Gibson's most popular pickups. These 4 connector pickups are simply the best way to quickly experience and utilize a full range of iconic Gibson tones.

Select Gibson guitar models may already be QC ready with a simple modular board mounted control; jack and sockets for plug equipped pickups and selector switches. Swapping out between Gibson's '57 Classics, Burstbucker Pros or even the hot and nasty Dirty Fingers pickups takes just a couple of minutes, so you can adapt your main guitar to any gig or session.

Actually I just had a thought.. Does that mean I can use them on my 2008 Standard? [woot]

DSC02016_zps78252027.jpg

Just looks like the Standard 2008 had two-connector pickups and sockets. The advertising picture shows a two-lead pickup, too, but all the pickups available at Gibson seem to have four-wired connections, so you were in need of a different PCB which should offer all the switching capabilities, too.

Interestingly, they offer the Burst Buckers Pro with chrome covers as quick-connect part exclusively. They also offered the BB1/BB2 reverse wound/reverse polarity like the BB Pros in the past but couldn't find them today. These are stock on Standard 2013 guitars. Sadly, the BB1/BB2 combo on my 2011 Standard Quilt has same windings and polarities, so they do hum when splitted and operated in parallel. Up to now I am reluctant to uncover one of them, revert the magnet and resolder the connections reverted what would do the trick...

Just looks like the Standard 2008 had two-connector pickups and sockets. The advertising picture shows a two-lead pickup, too, but all the pickups available at Gibson seem to have four-wired connections, so you were in need of a different PCB which should offer all the switching capabilities, too.

Interestingly, they offer the Burst Buckers Pro with chrome covers as quick-connect part exclusively. They also offered the BB1/BB2 reverse wound/reverse polarity like the BB Pros in the past but couldn't find them today. These are stock on Standard 2013 guitars. Sadly, the BB1/BB2 combo on my 2011 Standard Quilt has same windings and polarities, so they do hum when splitted and operated in parallel. Up to now I am reluctant to uncover one of them, revert the magnet and resolder the connections reverted what would do the trick...

Hmm, that is odd... the advert and the pics on the store page all show two wire connections but the description says four? :-k

Common Gibson which is it, 2 or 4?

Actually they should have both available for coil splitting? and for two wire non slpiiting configurations

Hmm, that is odd... the advert and the pics on the store page all show two wire connections but the description says four? :-k

Common Gibson which is it, 2 or 4?

Actually they should have both available for coil splitting? and for two wire non slpiiting configurations

I only know of four-lead wired Gibsons using them. In my case, the Les Paul 2012 Standard came with QuickConnect pickups. Both the 2011 L6S guitars of mine, my Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess, both my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs, the 2011 Standard Quilt mentioned in my previous post, and my Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute came without a PCB and are point-to-point wired although they all have four-lead pickups. I think that a dedicated PCB design for these models would be respectively have been uneconomical, and making QuickConnect 496R and 498T pickups only for Axcess models, too.

I only know of four-lead wired Gibsons using them. In my case, the Les Paul 2012 Standard came with QuickConnect pickups. Both the 2011 L6S guitars of mine, my Alex Lifeson Les Paul Axcess, both my Frank Zappa "Roxy" SGs, the 2011 Standard Quilt mentioned in my previous post, and my Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute came without a PCB and are point-to-point wired although they all have four-lead pickups. I think that a dedicated PCB design for these models would be respectively have been uneconomical, and making QuickConnect 496R and 498T pickups only for Axcess models, too.

Hmm.. I will have to do some digging and find out exactly what the specs are..

This kind of thing could be a game changer for me.. If they do two lead pups and I can use them it will change the whole dynamics of my guitar collection.. To have a guitar I could change the pups out on that easy would be great. I mean I can solder and change pups myself but to be able to interchange them so easy, that would be cool.

I'm pretty sure EMG has been doing the quick connector pickup thing for years now.I know most of us have Gibsons and it will be cool to change out pickups without soldering.There are a few Lespaul,s I really like but dont like the pickup's put in at the factory.Actually it would be great if all the pickup manuf.would do this and even use the same connectors but that would never happen.

Honestly would only take me a few seconds more to just use a soldering iron :-"

[thumbup] Giddyup! What's next? Guitars that tune themselves.... oh wait.... :rolleyes:

Ampeg had a Dan Armstrong bass with just slide out, slide in pups years ago. No wiring plug ins, etc. The pickups can be interchanged by removing the small thumb screw on the rear of the body and sliding the existing unit out of the pickup cavity. After mounting the new pickup, be sure to replace the rear thumb screw to insure correct electrical contact and pickup alignment. Not to complicated.

Agree it is a nice feature to be able to swap pickups so easily. Taylor guitars has been doing this for at least 5 or 6 years on their solid body line.