Gibson Brands Forums

Dumble Bluesmaster 50 Clone Combo Build

badbluesplayer

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never played a real high end amp before, but this sucker sounds seriously friggin great! I've played the Strat, the LP and the 335 through it.

We replaced the rock/jazz switch with a slope knob today. I didn't like the way the jazz setting worked. It sounded muffled and dead. The slope knob kind of does the same thing but is much more transparent and works more effectively - the same way that makes Fenders different than Marshalls. Turn it down for more of a Fender sound and up for more of a Marshall sound. Sounds incredible! Looks good too.

I'm getting back to working on the cabinet tomorrow.

A255B736-82D6-41CE-A307-19EB1D56005D_zpsv9zzd9jj.jpg

I rocked it out at band practice last night (new band [thumbup].) It sounds pretty nice cranked. The dirty channel has tons of distortion. The clean channel has an independent master volume on it anyway, so it has plenty of drive. There's a volume boost that works on both channels. It's nice and flexible and I'm really looking forward to dialing it in at band volume. My tube reverb unit works great in the effects loop too.

I'm working some more on the cabinet today and it should be ready within a day or two.

I think I'm getting a cover from D2F. They make all their covers to order so for 70 bucks I can get a custom cover that fits the amp and handle location exactly. Seventy bucks is a little steep. We'll see.

I should have about $1,100.00 in it total, including shipping.

[biggrin]

I started tolexing the cabinet yesterday but the tolex I got from my supplier turned out to be junk and I had to pull the first panel back off. What a mess!! The stuff is backed with some kind of fleece looking stuff that completely delaminated. Oh Boy!!

I'll have to find some real tolex. :lol:

The tolex was a disaster. It pretty much trashed the cabinet. So I figured I'd make a funky covering out of denim.

I'm going to lacquer it after it sets up some. We'll see how it turns out.

It's getting tilt back legs and a leather handle. Here's a couple of teaser pix -

F2D88F72-18E9-4639-9876-3C8A61E89E4E_zps76fowbjn.jpg

04F35323-5402-4072-9D0D-8FA5972502D3_zpsyvtnqme4.jpg

Looks nice.

If I may make 2 suggestions based on experience from my own D clone build.

1. Get the C-lator - the tube one. I had a spot built below my speaker for it. I can post a pic if you're interested.

2. Place handles on the side of the amp - In a combo form it is super heavy (I had mine in a head and switched to combo)

Looks nice.

If I may make 2 suggestions based on experience from my own D clone build.

1. Get the C-lator - the tube one. I had a spot built below my speaker for it. I can post a pic if you're interested.

2. Place handles on the side of the amp - In a combo form it is super heavy (I had mine in a head and switched to combo)

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm interested in checking out C-lators, but for now I'm going to use my tube reverb unit. That's the only time based effects I plan on using at this point. It's totally transparent thru the effects loop. But I'm interested in checking them out. A C-lator was in the plan until the reverb unit worked out. What's the pic look like?

I'm just using a regular fender leather handle. I think the visual design needs to have the handle in the usual location. I'm guessing the amps going to weigh about 45 lbs with the alnico speaker.

That's super cool. [thumbup] Maybe when you lacquer it, you can still leave the pockets functional. I could see stashing a few picks or something in there.

The tilt back legs are going to end up with the pivot bolts located on the pockets - the other side of the amp is the same. So the pockets won't be fully functional. But semi functional.

I was going to cover the back panel with the butt side of a pair of jeans, with the two pockets there, but that won't work, with the vent holes and stuff, so I think I'm going to cover it with an old red bandana.

There are a couple of patches from a flannel shirt that I glued over some holes on the lower back panel, like you'd patch your jeans back in the day.

I also have a bunch of copper and brass nails and tacks. I'm hoping to accent the corners with some of those.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm interested in checking out C-lators, but for now I'm going to use my tube reverb unit. That's the only time based effects I plan on using at this point. It's totally transparent thru the effects loop. But I'm interested in checking them out. A C-lator was in the plan until the reverb unit worked out. What's the pic look like?

I'm just using a regular fender leather handle. I think the visual design needs to have the handle in the usual location. I'm guessing the amps going to weigh about 45 lbs with the alnico speaker.

I actually run my reverb and delay in line with all my other effects. The C-lator thru the effects loop brings a smoothness to the overall drive sound. It just sounds so much better with the C-lator. I also use it at home as a type of power brake. I can crank up the tube distortion on the amp and keep the volume low with the C-lator.

Here's a pic of my OTS with the C-lator mounted below the speaker. I wish I had inset handles installed on the cab. I built the amp but not the cabinet - I'm not much for woodworking whereas the electrical comes easy for me.

iPhonePics2013_4268_zpsf0d63939.jpg

I screwed up the tolex job and complained to the owner of the supply company about the stuff. It's garbage. I've been getting my stuff from them for about four years. The guy just straight up "good ol' boy'd" me. Told me that the guys in his shop think it's fine. These are the guys in Cackalackie. I told the guy, "You know, Michael, the good ol' boy treatment doesn't work on me." He hung up on me. [crying]

Thirty minutes later he called me back and offered to cover the cab for free in one day and I told him it I appreciated the offer but that it was too complicated and that I was just going to cover this one in denim and make a new cab covered with tolex.

I'm going back to using Parts Is Parts. The Cackalackie guys are o.k., but I "didn't like his attitude" and he was "running his mouth." (Good ol' boy expressions) [biggrin]

• 2 weeks later...

I actually run my reverb and delay in line with all my other effects. The C-lator thru the effects loop brings a smoothness to the overall drive sound. It just sounds so much better with the C-lator. I also use it at home as a type of power brake. I can crank up the tube distortion on the amp and keep the volume low with the C-lator.

Here's a pic of my OTS with the C-lator mounted below the speaker. I wish I had inset handles installed on the cab. I built the amp but not the cabinet - I'm not much for woodworking whereas the electrical comes easy for me.

iPhonePics2013_4268_zpsf0d63939.jpg

Thanks so much for mentioning your cab and the Dumbleator/clator. I was wondering whether I should build a c lator but when my tube reverb unit worked so well thru the effects loop, I decided not to pursue it. But now I've decided to build one anyway and put it into a cabinet just like yours.

I found the place where you bought your cabinet, Amplified Nation, and browswed through their pix - including the pic of your cab - and decided that the cabinet like yours would be the best Dumble style cab to build. I'm actually doing it in the same color scheme as yours, with the black vox grillcloth and the regency blue tolex. With the 1U slot in the bottom for the c lator.

Dumble covered some amps in suede. I had a potential customer ask if I could do that. So I'm trying to find a synthetic suede material that I can use to cover cabs. Amplified Nation covers some cabs in suede. I still have not found that material yet but I'm suspicious that it's an upholstery covering material. So I'm trying to figure that out.

I've already figured out the dimensions, so don't worry about measuring anything for me. I've got it figured out.

Droje - Which version of the OTS did you build? How do you like it?

I installed an adjustable volume boost knob so I can adjust the boost level when the PAB is engaged. Depending on which version you have, there should be a way to make the volume boost adjustable.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I'm learning more and more about these Dumble style amps and it's lots of fun. [thumbup]

It's taken awhile to get this thing dialed in. It has a phase inverter trim, which adjusts the voltage drop between the two plates of the phase inverter. You adjust that to get the correct "bloom."

Then there's the post gain tone stack, which is an internal adjustment. That needs to be adjusted carefully and you can't just set the thumbwheels at 12:00 and expect it to sound right.

The drive channel has four level controls, volume, two drive controls and a master type control. You adjust the two drive controls to get the cascading gain vs. raw gain to your liking.

I installed an adjustment knob for the volume boots level, so you can adjust how much boost there is when you kick in the boost. It's getting there.

Archived