Gibson Brands Forums

I Still Can't Say Goodbye

drathbun

The recent thread about Chet Atkins had a video of a concert he gave with Mark Knopfler and others. In it, he played his signature tune "I Still Can't Say Goodbye". I had never heard this song before and was quite moved by it as I'm sure others have as well.

I decided to cover it and here is my recorded version. I decided not to track it at all and just set up my mic in front of my J200 and myself. The signal is going through my Digitech Vocalist Live 2 where I've added a little reverb and then direct in to my Sonar X2 with a little compression. That's it... two takes, no edits. Amazing song - deeply felt.

I Still Can't Say Goodbye

I really like the bass thump in that guitar. Definitely has the Gibson tone.....Chet rarely sang, but when he did it was sincere and this song is perhaps the #1 example of that. You do it extremely well also. I've got a life-long attachment to songs like this. You are very easy-to-listen-to and your voice is right-at-home with this "slice of life" story.. There are some songs that are best when played late at night in a dark room when I can just lay back and contemplate my life. This is one of those songs. Nice work. [thumbup]

Thank you all for the kind words. It is a bit daunting to put out a "raw" performance like that. I was having a hard time staying focused. It is a very tough song to get through emotionally. I lost my Dad in 2001 and just lost my beloved brother-in-law in September so this song has special meaning as I'm sure it does to many of you. I had recorded a version that I tracked a classical guitar and sang the vocals on a separate track all to a click track. It just wasn't present. Missouri Picker, you are so right about late night, dark room, quiet performance. It was the only way to do it.

Again thanks for all the kind words. Your opinion means a great deal. [smile]

Archived