Gibson Brands Forums

"Orange" tube tester, $499

Bender 4 Life

yes, I know...i'm "googling" them as y'all tell me to.....but i'm wanting personal experience/testimonials from YOU, the people I trust most about music related gear.

i'm remembering the days when every super-market had a pinball machine sized tester and assortment of tubes for sale beneath it.

the Orange brand unit looks nice....small....simple.....but $499...REALLY??

thanks for any info y'all can render !!

i agree with you. when i first saw the Orange tube tester i thought "great", then i saw the price. you gotta be kidding. yep, back in the 60's they were everywhere like you said. i can remember a tv repairman coming to our house with a suitcase size tube tester.

i'd love to have one, but not for $500

I have a basic tube tester that will tell you if there are any shorts or leaks. Then you can test the "output" to see how strong it is. It's a Lafayette, kind of like this one. Not real fancy, just basic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-LAFAYETTE-TE-50A-TUBE-TESTER-99-5063-GUITAR-AMPLIFIER-HI-FI-RADIO-/350909067656?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

The one above is not a bad deal, actually.

I think I paid about fifty to one hundred bucks for it. Your best bet is to find a used one on ebay or somewhere.

I picked up a basic tester at a garage sale over the summer for $2. It just lights up an indicator if it works. Good enough to at least diagnose a tube failure if i'm having an amp problem. It works for my 12ax7 and 6L6 tubes.

tube_zps231ec75c.jpg

I think it kinda depends on what you need it for. You can buy old tube testers really reasonably on eBay. These are great for old NOS tubes, but are crap for testing a modern 12AX7.

Yeah - The old tube testers aren't as useful as you might think. I like the Orange thing. It's more of a modern automated tester and seems to test all kinds of stuff. Way more that one of the old testers.

Archived