Gibson Brands Forums

Traditional Problem, need advice

Surreal For Real

Ok, I have been playing guitar since 1983. I have always wanted a Les Paul but for several reasons never got one. I play a fusion-style music and have been using Fenders or Godins up until now. Last week I bought my first Gibson, a non-weight relieved, honeyburst Traditional. After 30 years of playing and always wanting this guitar you can imagine how excited I was to finally get it.

But, here is my dilemma- My wife wrapped it and is making me wait until Christmas. I brought it home, showed her, took the abuse for buying for myself while I was supposed to be Christmas shopping and then watched her take it into a room and wrap it.

Let this sink in- My dream guitar is feet away, wrapped and I cannot play it. 30 years of waiting...

So to handle this do I-

1- Unwrap it, and replace it in the case with my Godin, play the Les Paul in secret in my guitar room and open the Godin at Christmas (50-50 if she figures it out.

2- Just man up and take the damn thing back from her.

3- Get divorced, taking the guitar to a safe haven before I serve her with the papers.

4- Just wait it out, it's been 30 years so what is a few more weeks?

If you have any ideas, please share.

Thanks, and it's great to be here and finally own a Gibson Les Paul!!! :)

My option would be number four. Les Paul Traditionals are great guitars and well worth waiting another eleven days. [razz][love][wub]

Remember they didn't make massive Gibson USA Les Paul guitars for thirty years until the Traditional 2013's appearance. [biggrin]

Great story, Surreal. #4 If it were me. But here's the kick...

Go buy another LP that you want. Maybe a standard or custom in a different color and wrap it just like the one she wrapped.

On X-mas eve when she's asleep, sneak out of bed and put it under the tree.

Won't she be surprised to see you got TWO new Les Pauls for x-mas [biggrin]

Great responses guys. It is truly killing me because I have to look online to see what it looks like... [mad] Gibson going back to non-weight relieved helped me pull the trigger, plus being 43 yrs old and not owning the guitar that I have always wanted was getting to be ridiculous.

Reading all of your posts on this site also helped. There wasn't a question I had about this guitar that wasn't answered by reading this forum, so Gibson should pay all of you some commission...on Christmas day I will be sure to post a pic, but as of now there is a Les Paul Traditional wrapped up, gasping for air, imprisoned. The release will be more celebrated than Mandela's release... [laugh]

If you wait till Christmas day...................................you could always call it................................................................................................................................ ''santa''

Great name for an L.P. I reckon.

Ok, I have been playing guitar since 1983. I have always wanted a Les Paul but for several reasons never got one. I play a fusion-style music and have been using Fenders or Godins up until now. Last week I bought my first Gibson, a non-weight relieved, honeyburst Traditional. After 30 years of playing and always wanting this guitar you can imagine how excited I was to finally get it.

But, here is my dilemma- My wife wrapped it and is making me wait until Christmas. I brought it home, showed her, took the abuse for buying for myself while I was supposed to be Christmas shopping and then watched her take it into a room and wrap it.

Let this sink in- My dream guitar is feet away, wrapped and I cannot play it. 30 years of waiting...

So to handle this do I-

1- Unwrap it, and replace it in the case with my Godin, play the Les Paul in secret in my guitar room and open the Godin at Christmas (50-50 if she figures it out.

3- Get divorced, taking the guitar to a safe haven before I serve her with the papers.

5- you haven't explained to her how badly keeping a fresh nitrocellulose laquered guitar in a case for that long will damage the finish and possibly ruin the case liner? [scared]

everyone knows how delicate those finishes are, especially when they're new.... [thumbup]

if that doesn't work.....#4 is good w/me.

well here's what I think..

you'll have the axe years on end, what's a few days to keep the peace, especially at this time of year.

and you can tell everyone what a righteous wife you have for "giving" you the LP for Christmas,

...(leave out the kidnapped and wrapped part)

And +1 to what Golden said!

[thumbup]

/ray

#4...If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

I just did the same thing, 2013 Traditional in Caramel Burst. I've had it going on two weeks now, love it but still getting to know it. It's my first "real" Les Paul...I'm 51 and have been playing since I was 8. It's worth the wait.

see, this is why i choose not to be married

my gf has known for a while i've been jonesing for an epiphone sorrento, so she went and got me one for christmas and gave it to me early already!

i even started a thread about it in the epi forum, i was so excited!

So to handle this do I-

take the guitar...... keep the case for christmas!

One more day, guys...one more day. I ALMOST opened her up last week. I was reading about types of AAA, AA tops and I couldn't remember exactly what she looked like so I damn near ripped her open for a peek...then I found out from my kids that my wife has something set up in the case to know if I opened it. I almost fell for it but thankfully my boys had my back. ONE MORE DAY...

1387825507[/url]' post='1464802']

One more day, guys...one more day. I ALMOST opened her up last week. I was reading about types of AAA, AA tops and I couldn't remember exactly what she looked like so I damn near ripped her open for a peek...then I found out from my kids that my wife has something set up in the case to know if I opened it. I almost fell for it but thankfully my boys had my back. ONE MORE DAY...

Ha ha ha ha. Think about it, when was the last time you felt like this on the run up to Christmas? When was the last time you could burst with excitement on Chrislmas morning? When was the last time you were bedded by 7 pm on Christmas Eve and couldn't sleep? When was was the last time you got what you wanted at Christmas?Man, I wish I could see your face on Christmas morning.

Ok, I have finally released my 2013 Les Paul Traditional Honeyburst from her Christmas Wrapping Prison. I would love to post a pic but for whatever reason the site keeps rejecting every photo I try to upload, in multiple formats.

The one thing that has impressed me most is the clean sound of the '57 pickups. I knew what to expect when they had some overdrive but I was shocked at the balance and clarity when played clean. I have been a Fender guy and did not think that a Les Paul could sound as good clean, and I think it sounds even better. Shocked...

The non-relieved weight also was not as bad I as thought it could be. I played for 2 hours straight, standing, and had no extraordinary issues. The body/scale difference from Fender only took a few minutes to adapt to, as well. I actually picked up my Strat after playing the Les Paul and the Strat felt like a guitar with anorexia. No meat.

The factory set-up was near perfect, only needing intonation adjustment on the high E and B strings. The finish is great, as well.

I have found myself to be overly careful with her, worrying about what may happen when one of my kids knocks her over, as they have on all of my guitars. I think I may have to hire a security guard to watch her when I am gone...:) Or maybe a lock on the door is overdue...

All in all I could not be happier. I wish I would have ignored the stereotypes that the Les Paul has and gotten one of these 25-30 years ago.

For anyone out there thinking that a Les Paul is a rockers only guitar, it isn't. I play 50% clean and 50% light OD and she fits the bill.

Great job, Gibson!

Archived